Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49659 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 09:43:30 PM »
Lord willing, I may be discharged tomorrow and taken to my mother's house where I'll receive in home rehab and skilled nursing care. I'll still be keeping you updated. Again, you guys are simply the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 12:31:50 AM »
Hello everyone. Forbes sister has started a Gofundme site to help out with expenses. If you wish to help, the link can be found here;

https://www.gofundme.com/2coyb9g

I am going to continue to pray for Forbes and also send him some love  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 04:42:53 AM »
yes, Forbes, your strength and courage under these difficult circumstances should be an inspiration to all. It takes a special person to face this head on , like you have. I can only hope that the rest of us could deal with something like this with a tiny amount of the courage that you've shown. You are a man among men.
Well said. I think we all echo this sentiment for Forbes. He's an inspiration to us all.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »
Monday afternoon Amputation  successful. Physical therapist had me out of bed and using a walker to walk Down the hall a short distance on Tuesday afternoon. Surgeon just inspected and said it looks fine. Pain is manageable. MAY be released as early as tomorrow morning to continue rehab at my mother's house until I can become independent. Yes, I would have liked to have my OWN leg. But that's water under the bridge. Thankful it's s good as it is . God bless you all . Continue to keep me in prayer.

Continuing prayers. Two young kids crashed ( tire wobble sent them into oncoming traffic) in front of my house about 5 weeks ago, no helmets. Driver lost his right leg on scene, passenger suffered severe head injury and just came out of coma to go to rehab.  Advanced EMT that I am , I went out to render what aid I could...pretty much a "scoop-n-run" situation. Still makes me wary of what can happen. Driver is being fitted for his proshtetic, now, and knows he can't ride a non-automatic two wheeled vehicle again, but- is optimistic about what he can do with the newer prosthetics available now. Eve with a prosthetic a scooter is viable, if you want to continue to ride. You will know if you do. Keep the positive outlook , it will aid in your healing more quickly. Do not give up on rehab work, just work harder, it will pay off. Healing/positive thoughts and prayers continue .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2016, 03:12:22 AM »
Doing well. Didn't get released due to dragging insurance paperwork. Hopefully tomorrow. Long road to recovery. But with God, All things are possible. Thanks guys.
2009 Xciting 250

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well and wish you all the best Forbes.

Regarding this:

Driver is being fitted for his proshtetic, now, and knows he can't ride a non-automatic two wheeled vehicle again

There is an organisation in the UK who might disagree.
The National Association for Bikers with a Disability do sterling work getting people back on two wheels.

Here's an idea of what's possible: http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

Perhaps it would be worthwhile establishing a similar organisation in the USA if there isn't one already?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
I'll second that about staying with the rehab!
I was trained at Brooke Army Medical Center, TX, during the push in Vietnam.
Those who fought through and stayed with the rehab had much better quality of life as a result. I know you will.
Hang in there Mr Forbes.   
Best regards
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2016, 12:05:25 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well and wish you all the best Forbes.

Regarding this:
There is an organisation in the UK who might disagree.
The National Association for Bikers with a Disability do sterling work getting people back on two wheels.

Here's an idea of what's possible: http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

I would think that braking ( right foot) or shifting ( left foot) would be quite difficult with prostheses

Perhaps it would be worthwhile establishing a similar organisation in the USA if there isn't one already?
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
"I would think that braking ( right foot) or shifting ( left foot) would be quite difficult with prostheses"

Which is precisely why the NABD give help with adapting bikes.

Its amazing what can be done.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/openhouse/openhouse45/45p10.htm

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
You write as much as you can stand and, like Stig said, you write and we will read. This goes way beyond a bunch of people that love to ride.

Karl

Well said Karl and Stig.  I thought it was worth another mention.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 11:46:10 PM »
Made it to my mother's house about an hour ago. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]. One step closer to independence. Mother will keep me fed. Two of my nephews will help to insure that I can maneuver safely around the house. Nearby family and friends will keep me company. Home health nurse will start on Monday to take care of wound maintenance. Rehab will keep me strong until I'm fitted for a prosthesis. Feeling thankful. Taking the long road one step at a time ... Literally. Continue to pray for my recovery. Thanks.

2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2016, 12:06:34 AM »
Great to hear your out and at moms place, press on. :)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 12:28:52 AM »
I am so glad you are home with Momma Forbes. I will keep praying for your recovery and even abundantly more. Keep the posts and updates coming. I look forward to them.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »
A buncha people praying for you, Mr. Forbes. That will be noticed with God.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
That's good news.
Best regards
Stig
(Placed the fundme on two more scooter forums - hope that was OK)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()