Author Topic: I need to decide, but need your help  (Read 737 times)

old rider

• View Profile
I need to decide, but need your help
« on: July 06, 2019, 04:24:17 PM »
I'm pushing 77 years of age, and I'm not willing to surrender. My las bikes where 1800 VTX Retro, Honda Valkyrie, Burgman 650 and last Burgman 400
Due to age,  is time to downsize again  :'(
Latetly I'm not ride more than 1000 a year, and facing the reality of my age, my riding time will be declining.
I really like this 2009 People because the big wheels and a 2014 Like 200i.
There close in price, but one is carburetor and the other fuel injected
Please I need your feed back since you guys know the Brand and the pro and cons of these two bikes
Thank you in advance

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: I need to decide, but need your help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
pushing 77 years of age, and I'm not willing to surrender

"Resistance is futile" . . Mazda Miata!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
What use will you put your scooter to?
How are the road surfaces of your intended routes?

Urban riding on fairly smooth roads, 25 to 40mph speeds - I like my 2012 LIKE200i.

Rougher roads, higher speeds up to 55mph I prefer my big wheel Piaggio Liberty 150i.

If you need to keep up with higher speed traffic, and/or highway riding - the 300 would be better. Do NOT let anyone tell you that the LIKE is a highway safe bike! 6 yrs experience with my LIKE200i - It is not a highway scooter.

Many will be just fine with a 10 yr old carbed scooter. But give me EFI every time!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 07:09:59 PM »
I also had to scale down due to continuous sciatic nerve problems - which obviously has something to do with age. When I decided to sell my previous bike I could hardly walk, and I thought I would never be able to ride again. But sitting at home while the nerve problem started healing made me decide to get hold of a smallish "walk on" scooter just to cart me around town. So I bought a 125 cc scooter.

In short - I like the low "feet bed" on my scooter. It surely helps to keep the sciatic nerve problems away. A scooter with a slightly bigger engine, bigger than 12" wheels, and slightly longer wheel base should suit me better though. The 12 ' wheels and short wheel base makes rides quite bumpy, and the 125 cc engine is just too small to ride safely whenever I need to ride faster than 90 km/H.

I already had a look at bigger Kymcos, but I still prefer the smaller "walk on" types with lower feet beds.
After riding motorcycles with bigger wheels for a lifetime I had to adapt to riding a scooter with 12" wheels around corners. In fact - I think cutting tight corners on a scooter with 12" wheels after riding on anything with bigger wheels for a lifetime can be quite dangerous.
 With your riding experience in mind, I think it would be better to consider anything with bigger wheels, longer wheel base, maybe lowish feet bed, and a mid-size engine.

Whatever you do - keep safe.
My 2 cents.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
I'm 78 but what they said 'cause they smarter than me! I like my Downtown and my wife likes her People 300i. Scoots are the way to go for us older folks.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
I am 80, age has little to do with my riding....right bike/scooter as are proper professional quality riding outfits.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 03:34:19 AM »
  I am 86 and I have 3 scooters  a 2009   200 frost - yager ,.    and a 2011   300downtown ,    and a2016   piaggio b v 350,  I find all of them are easy to ride ,  not to heavy,  the 200 is 300 lbs.,   the downtown and piaggio are 414 lbs.,  each,  with a low center of gravity,.   so they are easy to move around the garage,.  I do all of the serviceing on all the scooters ,changing tires  and oil changes greaseing axels to changing parts, 

old rider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 07:47:26 PM »
what makes me hard is to decide, is because I'm looking between 2010 to 2014 because I'll be riding maybe 500-600 miles a year and don't make sense to spend money for something that will be sitting in the garage most of the time. I live in Florida and hate to ride in high ninety and our summer is really long.
The people is carburetor and will like to know is they are relaeble, love the big wheels, because I don't see many on sale, but Like 200i is the other way around

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
Tortoise,  you know better than that.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:06:03 PM by Stig »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
If you plan on riding less than 1000 miles per year then go for fuel injection.  A scooter with Carbs may gum up if not ridden regularly unless you put corn free gas in it or something like sea foam in the gas. 

As for big wheels vs small wheels, I have no issues with small wheels.  I have no problem riding my Like 150i with it's 12 inch wheels at 60 MPH.  A Vespa GTS will run 80 with 12 inch wheels. 

If you are considering the Like 200i then maybe you should look at the Like 150i.  It has more power than the 200 and has ABS.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
after reading through the posts I tend to agree with Klaviator...if you're not going to ride a lot a bike with a carb can be a pain. I have a 2010 People s200 with carb along with a small motorcycle (fuel injected). I only put a few hundred miles per year on my scooter, and even though I only use ethanol free gas and always add stabilizer, I have had carb issues. I had to pull it apart this year to clean the pilot jet, which was completely clogged.

My vote is for fuel injection for trouble free riding, based on the miles you're anticipating.

Can't comment on the 'small wheels' thing...my scooter has 16" wheels
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »
Fuel injection. It’s virtually maintenance free. A lot less finicky than a carburetor, especially if it sits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
With limited use I would go with the EFI.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
The Like ain't a bad bike, but overall I'm a fan of big wheels.
I have two carb'd bikes, identical models.  One gets lots of miles, one gets something more along the lines of what you're talking.
With the later, I just keep it on a tender, a good practice regardless of fueling system, & start it once a week or so if it hasn't been ridden in a bit.

I've ridden the S variant of the People 150 (S200, really a 163cc variant of the 150) and maintained it a bit.
I'm a fan on a lot of levels including pretty simple maintenance, the valve sets and such are a breeze.

My two bits.
Go test ride 'em, ride what ya like.

Cheers
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()