Author Topic: Carbs, ethanol, treatments  (Read 468 times)

DryFly

• View Profile
Carbs, ethanol, treatments
« on: July 16, 2019, 03:23:40 AM »
I've done some research on this but I'm looking for informed opinions.
I have a 2009 People 250 with about 9500 miles. The PO had it stored for the last year or so, and when he took it out of storage he had the oil changed and the carb cleaned before I purchased it.
Now that I own it I haven't had much chance to ride. That will be changing soon.
The PO had always used "regular" gas (87 octane around here), 10% ethanol, and the tank was full when I got it. It runs just fine (or did 2 weeks ago when I last had it out), and now that I have a new battery I'm anticipating it will start right up and go.
Going forward, I'd like to keep everything well maintained. I'm not a fan of ethanol gas, and I see some people have advocated for either Seafoam or StaBil. What do you recommend for this carburated engine? Should I hit it with a dose of Seafoam for a tank or two to clean out the system, then move to Stabil on every tank? Is that too much? I'm not worried about the cost of the additives as it's a pretty small amount used each time. Or should I switch to only pure gas? What type of regimen would be most beneficial for the long term health of this scoot?
Thanks for your feedback

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs, ethanol, treatments
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »
I'm a fan of non ethanol gas in vehicles with carbs. I run non ethanol with marine stabil in every tankful in my scoot. Some will claim ethanol is fine and they've had no issues..but the safe bet is to avoid ethanol if at all possible.

Use Seafoam if you want..I don't think it does much but it won't hurt anything.

And welcome!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »
I find most complaints of gas are related to not using bike every day----ride often, at least a fuel prep like Staybil for periods of storage and do not worry.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
this is a subject I have been interested in too
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
I know three men "brothers", who have owned a family boat shop and business for probably 50 years. I stop in to say high to them every so often. These men have worked on boat motors their whole lives. One day we had a discussion about small engines and ethanol gas. Here is what they said. Ethanol gas is hard on carburetors. It has negative effects on seals in the carbs. At their gas pumps outside, they only sell "non ethanol" gas.
Personally, I think it is best to burn non ethanol gas if you can but, I don`t because I don`t have a station close to me that sells "good gas".
I think the biggest problem is letting scooter sit and not running them often. All gas will gum up a carburetor if it sits for long periods without being run.
When I fill my tanks, I try to remember to add a little StaBil and GumOut fuel injector cleaner to the gas.
I have ridden motorcycles and motor scooters for 50 years and have NEVER had a problem with my carbs gumming up. Come to think of it, I have never had an engine failure.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:21:36 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:01:00 AM »
Just went through this with a low mile people 150 that had sat for 5 years . The carburetor was beyond gummed up. I ended up replacing. In all my small engines I use no ethanol fuel.  I use 93 octane with 4 Oz of Chevron Techron in a 5 gallon can that I use for the bikes and Kymco's.  For the lawn equipment I use non-ethanol and Stabil gas treatment. Like others have said you need to exercise the motor to keep it from gumming up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:05:50 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »
Drive it regularly, and any decent gasoline will do. Even the 10% ethanol gasoline shouldn’t be a problem. But it it’s going to sit, I’d recommend using non ethanol and Stabil.
Also, A little sea foam every so often wouldn’t hurt and may help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()