Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49613 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Forbes

You can look at things in the way of how you effect other people. People see you keeping a positive attitude, getting back to work, and moving ahead. Seeing you moving ahead in the face of adversity is inspiring to me and should be to other people; and this effects others in a positive way and gives those people also facing adversity confidence to move forward themselves. Almost like that movie "Its a Wondeful Life" where you just don't realize how you affect others in a positive way. Its a nice gift to have and when we read about your plight, its makes me and possibly others put things into perspective and realize that we can overcome adversity and forge ahead also. So in that aspect, you have affected others in a positive way even though you may not realize it.

You story has been very inspiring.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
Forbes

You can look at things in the way of how you effect other people. People see you keeping a positive attitude, getting back to work, and moving ahead. Seeing you moving ahead in the face of adversity is inspiring to me and should be to other people; and this effects others in a positive way and gives those people also facing adversity confidence to move forward themselves. Almost like that movie "Its a Wondeful Life" where you just don't realize how you affect others in a positive way. Its a nice gift to have and when we read about your plight, its makes me and possibly others put things into perspective and realize that we can overcome adversity and forge ahead also. So in that aspect, you have affected others in a positive way even though you may not realize it.

You story has been very inspiring.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Yeah, Forbes. What Chris said. Keep up the inspiration!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2017, 03:13:45 AM »
Yeah, Forbes. What Chris said. Keep up the inspiration!

Karl
thanks. And I hope you all keep the encouragement coming. Not just for me, but for all in this forum who are facing challenges.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
Well, as I approach the time where I'm ready for my new prosthesis, I'm becoming familiar with an insurance term that I already see is going to cause me grief. That term is "Medically Necessary ".  In order to receive the prosthesis that will allow me to perform NEAR my pre-accident ability, my prosthetist has to translate my input to an insurance language that will show them that I am limited by my present prosthesis. At the same time, he has to demonstrate to their satisfaction that the more advanced prosthesis WILL allow me to perform more closely to normal . But proving what I WILL BE able to do is difficult because I can't do it now. And how does my prosthetist and I prove that the new leg will allow me to perform more tasks since I can't perform them now?

Insurance logic. If I can perform the tasks now, I don't need the advanced prosthesis. If I can NOT perform the tasks now, why do I need an advanced prosthesis that I can't fully utilize?
Quality of life means nothing to them. My prosthetist told me that he needs to use words such as pain, imbalance, unstable, and about to fall in order for then to pay attention. The fact that I could run and jog prior to my accident may mean little to them.

Imagine being able to overcome nearly every physical and mental hurdle only to be blocked by an INSURANCE COMPANY and semantics? Oh well. With God's help, I'll overcome the insurance bean counters too. Hopefully by June, my prosthetist and I will have come up with a Winning strategy.

2009 Xciting 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
Good luck, Forbes. This sounds like a needless trial they're putting your through. Is there any way to find out who are the patients who did receive a new prosthesis, and build your case around how they succeeded?

Also, can you connect what you do at work, and the need to be properly balanced and coordinated in order for you to do your job properly? When looked at carefully the insurance industry has less to do with providing insurance and more about them making a profit. It's like putting money in a bank and then having to justify why you need to make a withdrawal.

- Wolf

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
It's been a long journey Forbes and your faith in God's care and provision for you has got you to where you are along with a whole lot of love and help from family and friends. Your upbeat and positive attitude has been a winning combination coupled with your faith and the love and support you've received is blessing you and will attract to you everything you need. Some call this the Law of Attraction. You're in good hands Little brother (me 67).
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
Insurance logic. If I can perform the tasks now, I don't need the advanced prosthesis. If I can NOT perform the tasks now, why do I need an advanced prosthesis that I can't fully utilize?
Quality of life means nothing to them. My prosthetist told me that he needs to use words such as pain, imbalance, unstable, and about to fall in order for then to pay attention. The fact that I could run and jog prior to my accident may mean little to them.

It seems to me that the insurance purpose should be to make you "whole" again and having a advanced prosthesis would be a big step to that.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
You're accident is what I fear most. Sightseeing can be a killer when operating a cycle. All's that's happened to you has caused me to be much more careful. When I feel like sightseeing, I think of you and all you've been thru. You're accident, as horrible as it was, has not been wasted on myself and I'm sure, every rider on this forum. How is you're family dealing with the idea that you may ride again?
I hope you will ride again, if that's you're hearts desire, and I know you'll be a better rider. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be.. Good luck and GOD bless.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
You're accident is what I fear most. Sightseeing can be a killer when operating a cycle. All's that's happened to you has caused me to be much more careful. When I feel like sightseeing, I think of you and all you've been thru. You're accident, as horrible as it was, has not been wasted on myself and I'm sure, every rider on this forum. How is you're family dealing with the idea that you may ride again?
I hope you will ride again, if that's you're hearts desire, and I know you'll be a better rider. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be.. Good luck and GOD bless.

Mac
I haven't fully decided whether or not I'll ride again. But I'll be at peace either way.  But the first thing I'll ride will be a bicycle since it's my first love. It will enable me to regain confidence with maintaining balance and being able to keep my foot where it's supposed to be in spite of not fully being able to feel it.

As for sightseeing, the simple rules are to never "hone in" on something so long that it takes your attention off the road. And don't daydream while riding. Take in the sites with a quick glance. And if something is REALLY interesting, Pull over and stop, so you can SAFELY soak it all in.
Follow those rules you'll be just fine

2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
Well said, Forbes. In motorcycle safety training, that's called "fixation" If you fix your attention on something too long, you will tend to move in that direction. Ever see on the news how a driver hits a patrol car and maybe even the officer? In most cases they were honing in or fixing on them and wasn't even aware that they were drifting in their direction. You tend to go where you are looking. As you, so rightly said, just a quick glance, if not in heavy traffic or a busy intersection, should do you and if you need to take a longer look, then pull over to a safe spot. We know the rules, but some times we fail to apply them. Be careful on your bicycle also. The worst wreck I ever had on two wheels was on a bicycle, but that's another story. What ever you wind up doing, enjoy the rest of you life and give GOD the glory.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a bad accident
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2017, 02:10:27 AM »
Well said, Forbes. In motorcycle safety training, that's called "fixation" If you fix your attention on something too long, you will tend to move in that direction. Ever see on the news how a driver hits a patrol car and maybe even the officer? In most cases they were honing in or fixing on them and wasn't even aware that they were drifting in their direction. You tend to go where you are looking. As you, so rightly said, just a quick glance, if not in heavy traffic or a busy intersection, should do you and if you need to take a longer look, then pull over to a safe spot. We know the rules, but some times we fail to apply them. Be careful on your bicycle also. The worst wreck I ever had on two wheels was on a bicycle, but that's another story. What ever you wind up doing, enjoy the rest of you life and give GOD the glory.

Mac
Mac,  that last sentence speaks VOLUMES! I'll certainly take that to heart and let it be one of my major life's goals. Thanks!

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:05 AM »
HEY EVERYBODY! July 3, made ONE YEAR since my accident. I spent July 3-5, 2016 in the ICU of a STRANGE hospital in a Panama City, Florida which is over 100 miles from home! And I had a mangled left leg which would end up being amputated a week later. But spent July 3, 2017 at WORK . And I hope to spend Today, July 4 at or very near home or the place of my choosing!
HAVING to work Yesterday was a bummer. But BEING ABLE to work was nothing short of a blessing!!

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »
A bad day at work is better than ANY day in ICU.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »

Mr Forbes, You are a pistol!
(or, as my old Granmother from Tenn. would say, "a caution!")
I was thinking the other day that we were nearing the anniversary  of that dark day....for you - and for many of your fellows here.
The outcome, of course, has only been an inspiration due your faith and resilience.
Well done, you - good buddy!
Stig

PS: I am, this sunrise, in Ohio's best reservoir of great bumper stickers and coffee shops...("Ah, I see the Screw-Up fairy has been here!")....and wouldn't your last line make a good one!
S.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()