Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49602 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Well Forbes, you're a blessed man. 200 years ago and having a wagon crush your leg meant a lifetime of needing care and here you are independent and "able to work".  Happy 4th Bro.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
Well Forbes, you're a blessed man. 200 years ago and having a wagon crush your leg meant a lifetime of needing care and here you are independent and "able to work".  Happy 4th Bro.
You can say that again. I think about that all the time. I visualize the pirate with the peg leg. And I am very thankful for the advances in technology that allow me to live a normal life and get around better than some of my peers who have all of their limbs.

Then again, 200 years ago we wouldn't be riding machines at that could move at speeds high enough to tear us to pieces either. Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »

Then again, 200 years ago we wouldn't be riding machines at that could move at speeds high enough to tear us to pieces either. Lol.

Doesn't take high speed to get hurt. Watched a rider ahead of me on a group ride go down going about 10mph and scooter fell on his leg and crushed it. Didn't lose the leg but can't walk much or work. He's dependent on family to help him survive the rest of his life. 
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
Congrats on making the one year milestone! Sounds like life has fallen back into their normal rhythms for you, despite the new leg, and I'm glad you're still posting on the forum. Few people could have done what you did.
I think even 50 years ago life would have been a hardship given the seriousness of our injuries. Given the pains in my life I'm thankful for antibiotics, painkillers and modern dentistry.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
Doesn't take high speed to get hurt. Watched a rider ahead of me on a group ride go down going about 10mph and scooter fell on his leg and crushed it. Didn't lose the leg but can't walk much or work. He's dependent on family to help him survive the rest of his life.
Wow! I'm so thankful when I think of what COULD have happened. Also, I'm very thankful that I had an HONEST surgeon. He did give me the choice to try to save my leg. And he could have still been making money off of me. If he had so much as said "it will be difficult, but I believe I can have your leg back to NEAR normal "   I would have jumped at the chance.

But instead, he said that even IF he was successful, my leg would likely be of limited use and Chronically painful.
Then he suggested that amputation may actually be the best choice to live a normal life.

I dare not claim to know what's best for another person. But I wonder if he would have been better off if he had made the decision that I made. Many surgeons see amputation as a failure. But mine viewed it as the best chance for success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
Congrats on making the one year milestone! Sounds like life has fallen back into their normal rhythms for you, despite the new leg, and I'm glad you're still posting on the forum. Few people could have done what you did.
I think even 50 years ago life would have been a hardship given the seriousness of our injuries. Given the pains in my life I'm thankful for antibiotics, painkillers and modern dentistry.

- Wolf
Yes! Advances in prosthetics have taken leaps and bounds in the last thirty years or so. Unfortunately, it took soldiers getting maimed in great numbers to create the demand high enough for research to actually pay off. Their SACRIFICE was to my benefit .

2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »
Their sacrifice was to all our benefits. My greatest fear was not being killed or maimed but having that happen to me 10,000 miles from home. Anytime I see a service member in uniform or someone I know to be a service member or vet, I thank them for their service to our country. Your recovery is nothing less than miraculous and I am so happy for you. The old saying, "you can't keep a good man down", has been proven once again. Carry on, my brother.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »
Their sacrifice was to all our benefits. My greatest fear was not being killed or maimed but having that happen to me 10,000 miles from home. Anytime I see a service member in uniform or someone I know to be a service member or vet, I thank them for their service to our country. Your recovery is nothing less than miraculous and I am so happy for you. The old saying, "you can't keep a good man down", has been proven once again. Carry on, my brother.
Thanks. I can only imagine being hurt thousands of miles from home. Being even 120 or so miles from home was bad enough. But at least my family and some friends could come see me at my lowest point. Shortly after I awoke from the initial surgery, I can't describe the relief I felt from seeing my sister, nephew , and a former classmate. I could shed some tears then. And when Mother arrived later that afternoon, that was waterworks part 2. She didn't cry. But I did. Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 05, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »
At those moments, when the tears were flowing, you were receiving a great lesson on the value of love. You were blessed...
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
So glad to see you looking so well a year on Forbes. Hope the future has good things in store for you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
Got my carbon fiber socket yesterday. So far it fits well. Makes me feel like a machine when I describe it. Total load bearing socket, vacuum suspension with an Ottobock p4 vacuum pump / shock absorber. Attached to a carbon fiber Triton lp (low profile) prosthetic  foot with a split toe design. With a brown foot cover. (I think) load range 3.
Then he has to align it like a car suspension. --I compare it to caster, camber, and toe. -- the axis of leg has to be at the right angle. The foot has to be so the load is distributed evenly from side to side and from front to back. And the foot has to be pointed in the right direction to match the direction of the other foot (in my case toe out) . Yep, as an auto mechanic I'm making direct comparisons. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
Got my carbon fiber socket yesterday. So far it fits well. Makes me feel like a machine when I describe it. Total load bearing socket, vacuum suspension with an Ottobock p4 vacuum pump / shock absorber. Attached to a carbon fiber Triton lp (low profile) prosthetic  foot with a split toe design. With a brown foot cover. (I think) load range 3.
Then he has to align it like a car suspension. --I compare it to caster, camber, and toe. -- the axis of leg has to be at the right angle. The foot has to be so the load is distributed evenly from side to side and from front to back. And the foot has to be pointed in the right direction to match the direction of the other foot (in my case toe out) . Yep, as an auto mechanic I'm making direct comparisons. Lol.

Dang Forbes!
Wish my Michelin dealer had been half as detailed aligning my new tires!
Prosthetics have come a long way since I did OJT as a medic in training at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio in the 60's. BAMC offered the most advanced burn treatment for the military at the time - with lots of men returning on air-ambulance planes from Japan & Vietnam. A frequent assignment ("Litter Bearer") was to meet and unload the planes, always at night,  into buses for dispersal to various wards, depending on injury types.
Sobering duty - all of which helped one get your head straight before shipping over. Watched the fellows (each a  civilian) working in the prosthetic shop. Amazing skills.
Mr. Forbes - you continue to uplift all who know you! I wager your story has helped get some heads straight, as well.
Thank you.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a bad accident
« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »
Dang Forbes!
Wish my Michelin dealer had been half as detailed aligning my new tires!
Prosthetics have come a long way since I did OJT as a medic in training at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio in the 60's. BAMC offered the most advanced burn treatment for the military at the time - with lots of men returning on air-ambulance planes from Japan & Vietnam. A frequent assignment ("Litter Bearer") was to meet and unload the planes, always at night,  into buses for dispersal to various wards, depending on injury types.
Sobering duty - all of which helped one get your head straight before shipping over. Watched the fellows (each a  civilian) working in the prosthetic shop. Amazing skills.
Mr. Forbes - you continue to uplift all who know you! I wager your story has helped get some heads straight, as well.
Thank you.

Stig
Thanks for the kind words. By the way, my prosthetist is an amputee who was injured when in The Navy. chose his field for somewhat similar reasons that I chose auto mechanics as my career.  He stated that he liked being able to immediately see the results of his work. A patient comes in unable to walk because his leg is gone or is lacking a hand or arm . But leaves beginning to walk again of able to grasp objects again. I like seeing car come in running badly or not at all but leave running with a happy driver behind the wheel. It's a sense of accomplishment and purpose.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:49:32 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
Hey Forbes. Glad you got your upgraded socket. Sounds like you have a really good prosthesis tech there! Please forgive me but I have to go there: "Caster, camber, and TOE." It is actually more accurate in this application dontcha think?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:12:31 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 12, 2017, 01:06:36 AM »
Hey Forbes. Glad you got your upgraded socket. Sounds like you have a really good prosthesis tech there! Please forgive me but I have to go there: "Caster, camber, and TOE." It is actually more accurate in this application dontcha think?
Pretty much. Literally. Lol

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()