Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49650 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #300 on: October 30, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
Forgive me Forbes, but which one is you in the pic. New guy on the block here and all. Congrats on your recovery too. I've got a friend on a Goldwing forum that lost his leg to diabetes and has had a heck of a time wuth the fitment of his leg and can't do much yet and he's been dealing wuth his for several years. He's an old guy though so perhaps that makes a difference.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
Good news, Forbes! Great way to start the holiday season. With the new leg I hope life is back to feeling normal.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2016, 12:19:56 AM »
Forgive me Forbes, but which one is you in the pic. New guy on the block here and all. Congrats on your recovery too. I've got a friend on a Goldwing forum that lost his leg to diabetes and has had a heck of a time wuth the fitment of his leg and can't do much yet and he's been dealing wuth his for several years. He's an old guy though so perhaps that makes a difference.
I'm the one in the grey shirt.
My prayers go out to your friend. Diabetes is a CRUEL disease if it gets out of hand. it runs rampant in my extended family. And I've seen the havoc it can wreak on the human body.

I'm a diabetic also. But thankfully, it's well controlled. The doctors told me that the fact that it is under control played a TREMENDOUS part in the healing of the amputation site. They told me to stay on top of it in order to protect the residual limb as well as the intact limb.

Since I lost my leg to trauma, and since the diabetes is well controlled, my prognosis is excellent.

By the way, I strongly suspect that it's not so much your friend's age as it is his diabetes. If he can get his numbers under control, it will help IMMENSELY and may prevent other complications. I don't know him. But let him know that I wish him well and will remember him in my prayers.
2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2016, 12:53:38 AM »
Thanks for your nice reply Forbes. You're also thin and fit which goes along ways in your recovery. My friend who has diabetes is also overweight which is problematic. I believe he's a heavy meat eater which is part of the problem. Many who have diabetes can better manage it with a plant based diet which will also drop some weight. How's the fitment going on the prosthetic? He has allot of problems with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:55:26 AM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2016, 03:04:35 AM »
Thanks for your nice reply Forbes. You're also thin and fit which goes along ways in your recovery. My friend who has diabetes is also overweight which is problematic. I believe he's a heavy meat eater which is part of the problem. Many who have diabetes can better manage it with a plant based diet which will also drop some weight. How's the fitment going on the prosthetic? He has allot of problems with that.

I too lost weight by changing my diet and exercising more. The weight loss was a side effect. I'm a meat eater. But I reduced fried options. didn't completely give up anything. But I changed the proportions. I LOVE greens and other leafy and low carb vegetables. So I just eat more. I also love the starchy vegetables such as peas and beans too, but I stay mindful of the amount I eat.

I eat the "good" foods first. Then I eat the less heathy ones. That way I don't overdo it.

As for fitment of the prosthesis, it's a moving target, especially in the early days because the residual limb is rapidly shrinking. I had TWO temporary sockets ( the part that attaches to the residual limb) . And now my "permanent" prosthesis was a little larger than my prosthetist wanted it to be. So it will likely  have to be replaced earlier than he originally planned. He said that after a year or so, things will stabilize.
Your friend's out of control diabetes likely presents extra challenges because the fitment is even more crucial because his skin is more sensitive, and his circulation is not that great. So any poor fit issues are magnified.

By the way, the fit of my socket changes throughout the day. It's tighter in the morning. And it loosens up throughput the day. So I have to add more prosthetic socks throughout the day. Tell your friend to not get discouraged.
2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Great to hear the wonderful news, Forbes! Blessings on your continued recovery and adjustment back into work life!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 02, 2016, 05:32:39 AM »
Well, i was able to accomplish two crucial tasks with only a little extra effort. I was able to get on the floor and set the arms for the lift under a fairly low vehicle-- a Ford Fusion. And I was able to remove and reinstall the wheel on the Fusion and an F150 without straining my back and without putting excess weight on my residual limb inside my prosthetic socket. I do have to pay close attention to prevent myself from kicking my step stand out of the way when I lean over the front of a truck because my prosthetic foot will push it out of the way when I lean over. But I don't feel it. But I think I can just bungee chord the step stand to the front bumper so it won't move. No biggie. I believe I'm going to fare well on my job and get back to full speed in just a short time. God is GREAT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2016, 05:34:14 AM »
Again. Thanks everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and well wishes . Thanks for allowing me to share my journey so far.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 14, 2016, 02:26:33 AM »
Well, I had to go to Panama City for a pastor's meeting on yesterday. My mother rode with me. The church was around 5 miles from the scene of the accident. I was hesitant about going to the accident site. So I tried to make up an excuse that we didn't have time because we had something to do at home. But my mother stated that we had time, and it was up to me. (Translation, "boy Go!! Don't be a wimp. Besides I want to see the place where I nearly lost my baby boy". LOL). So we went.
  Anyway, I finally was able to see CLEARLY what I actually hit and why. I distinctly remember looking and focusing on the sign on the right shoulder that said Mexico beach and Tyndal AFB. Well, I was in the left lane, and did not notice that the road was nearing an intersection and making a significant curve to the right. So I ran into the median and into a sign post. Then I ran into another smaller (but sharp and flat) signpost. the first post had obviously been picked back up and replanted because I saw the damage at the bottom as well as the markings from my scooter. I think the blunt force of that sign crushed my leg which made it impossible for me to stay on the scooter. Or either the second smaller sign finished me off. But as my mother and I both looked, we were very thankful that things turned out as well as they did. There were much larger objects nearby that could have caused much greater damage. Also, just a slightly different angle would have severed my left HAND which would have been much worse as far as being able to return to work, especially since I'm left handed.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:57 AM »
I broke rule #1. I took my eyes off the road TOO LONG by focusing on that sign rather than simply glancing at it. Although I was not asleep. I was not as alert as I should have been, therefore I believe my reaction time may have been slower.

A little SICK humor. The second , smaller sign that I did NOT look at in time was a sign with the arrows telling me that the road was shifting to the right!!! How about that for a slap in the face. LOL.
Anyway, seeing that place was something I needed to do. And my mother and I both gave God a praise in that the last time I approached that place I was carried away by ambulance. This time I drove away in my OWN vehicle.. The last time I left Panama City was by a Medical transport Chevy Ambulance type vehicle with a stranger driving and a stranger beside my medical bed trying to make small talk (before he drifted off to sleep thinking that I didn't notice). This time It was by MY OWN Lincoln Town Car with ME driving and my mother beside me making small talk and occasionally drifting off to sleep and not caring less If I noticed.   What a difference FOUR MONTHS MAKES!! To God be the Glory.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
 :)
Well said.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
 :D

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2016, 11:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the update Forbes! I got a chuckle out of the sign! Sounds like something that could happen to me.  God bless you brother, and give mamma a hug for me.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2016, 02:54:01 AM »
Thanks for the update Forbes! I got a chuckle out of the sign! Sounds like something that could happen to me.  God bless you brother, and give mamma a hug for me.

Mama is glad that strangers also care for her son. She also loves you all.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2016, 03:09:26 AM »
On this thanksgiving day I can't help but reflect on what COULD have been. But I'm very thankful for what ACTUALLY WAS. I'm here. Just today alone, I was able to (over) eat with family. And finally. I was able the join my sister, sister in law and nephew on their after dinner nearly two mile walk.

Also, I was able to read about Stig's cold weather ride. Although I'm not riding, I honestly enjoy reading of you all's various adventures. I'm thankful that I can experience pleasure simply knowing someone else is doing what they love.

And yes, work is going well. I'm still figuring out new ways to accomplish old tasks. So far, so good. The most challenging so far was replacing an oil pan on a 2008 F450 diesel. Portions of the job had to be done with the vehicle PARTIALLY lifted with me SITTING underneath in a somewhat contorted position. It was a challenge. But I did it.

Am I thankful? Is water wet? Lol. God has truly blessed me.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()