Author Topic: Kymco Like 70 2T Malossi  (Read 21056 times)

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
Kymco Like 70 2T Malossi
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
I've been working on this project for a while. I figured I'd share some pics, and maybe some of my experiences. Some good, some not so much.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:05:53 AM by ParaIndiana »
2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Polini torque spring: Blue
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Sport Torque Driver
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Stage 6 +15% Primary Gear Kit
Malossi Belt
Pre-mix Fuel  45:1

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: My Like 50'ish
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »
Nuyce!
How do you like the ZXR?
Can't wait to hear what's been done!
Welcome to the Forum ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:13:35 AM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
Re: My Like 50-ish
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »
I guess I should list all the mods. But first on the ZXR... It sounds great and came with plenty of hardware to make it a breeze to install, but I think I may look for something else. It seems to make power at a bit higher RPM than I would like. I have an Athena 70cc BBK on its way, so I'll wait to see how it works with that kit before I decide.

My list of mods:

Naraku V.2 sport 70cc BBK
LeoVince ZX-R pipe
NGK iridium spark plug  BR8HIX
Malossi PHBG 19mm Carb; 90 main
Stage 6 manual choke cable
Naraku sport variator with 44g of weight
Polini torque spring; Blue 15%
Stage6 Racing Clutch MKII
Malossi Kevlar belt

I believe I listed everything. Of course this will be an ongoing project, so list may change.

2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Malossi Belt

wassonii

• View Profile
Re: My Like 50'ish
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »
There is always something to change...
Sweet set-up!
sans scooter, rien

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:50:37 AM »

2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Malossi Belt

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
DAYUM!  You've done some incredible work!  Have you seen substantial improvements?  How fast was it's stock max speed vs. now?  stock acceleration vs. now?  The reason I ask is because I'm wondering what the best route to take is when I start to tackle my Yamaha Zuma.  It's a 2 stroke, as well.  It's older than dirt, but a helluva good scoot.
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
Thank you for the documentation! I would just about kill for a garage/work area.
Are you on the stock intake manifold? Have you changed out the reeds and/or cage yet?
More questions, I am sure, but they can wait :D
sans scooter, rien

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
Nope, no change to the intake or reeds yet. I still use the stock air box as well with no modifications to it. The Athena BBK that I have coming has carbon fiber reeds included, so those will be added. I really have no work space. Just a small shed with just enough room to park it in along with the kids bicycles. I had plenty of room to do work on the motor assembly once it was removed from the rest of the scoot.
On to stock vs now.
Before the rebuild, I had nearly 2000 (almost) trouble free miles on it. I had some issues with the rear brake cable within the first few hundred miles. Replaced it and problem solved. Top speed on stock was 33-35mph(GPS) average. I was never really impressed with the stock take off from stop. It was very doggy and acceleration bogged at about 20mph and would pick back up again at about 25mph. This issue would come back to haunt me. I didn't feel safe on it in traffic because of it performance. After a near rear-ending (one of several) I decided it was time to do something. I poured over every bit of information throughout the winter before I placed my first order. My first set of goodies was the BBK, ZX-R pipe, and carb. The pipe and BBK were on back order from overseas, so it took about a month to get my parts. In this time I began the tear down and checked the specs of the parts that I planned on keeping. Everything looked great aside from a few loose bolts here and there and some road grime. I'll skip all the details of installing all the parts as it was very straight forward and I had no problems from start to finish. It started very first try, and after minor tuning of the carb, I was ready to begin breaking it in. I knew I needed to replace the transmission parts, but funding was tight, so it had to wait. My plan was to keep the stock vario, but even with the new parts I still had a lot of lag between 20-30mph. I had a set of new rollers laying around. Putting those in had no effect on the lag. I took the vario off and made a clay mold of the inside of the vario to better see it. It appeared to have a flat spot on all the roller guides. I had found my lag problem.

Skip ahead a bit more. Parts ordered. Transmission rebuilt. I used a Prima tuning weight set (3g-14g) to dial in just the right weight. Ordered Stage 6 weight that matched my choice.
Post rebuild performance is like night and day compared to stock. No wheelies, but the front end does get really loose on a WOT takeoff. It's a lot a fun to jump out ahead of someone at a green light. Nobody in my town has even thought of tuning their scoots. Lots of $500 Chinese junk scoots around. It will easily hit 55mph(GPS) and I feel it has more in it. I am still nervous to run it really hard. It only has a couple of hundred miles on it since the rebuild.

I know I have left a lot out, and I am fighting off a serious case of the flu right now. I can thank the kids for that. They always bring home some form of the plague when they start school.
 I'll be happy to answer any questions. I don't know much, but I can share what is working for me.
2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Malossi Belt

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:38 AM »
Yes, the stock vari kind of sucks. I didn't realize the angular aspect of the ramps until I had my Jasil vari with which to compare it. Definitely smoothed out acceleration and on the occasions when I have dialed the cvt in well, added about 5 miles to my top speed.
Sucks about the flu, but tis the season... Good Healing to you!
I haven't ventured into the realm of BBK yet (though I will later in this existence). I am curious as to why you are transitioning from the Naraku 70cc to the Athena, but having no experience with either, or that type of upgrade, I am just a seeker of info.
For now, I am happy to see what the stock set-up can do (and hopefully keep this piston melt-free) while I better acquaint myself with the world of 2 strokes.
For the record, any covered space (even with kids' bikes) is better than a parking area in a condo complex, so be thankful!
Are you still on the oem cdi as well?
I really wish that Kymco had foregone the clock and given us a tach instead...
sans scooter, rien

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »
The change from the Naraku to the Athena is for two reasons.
1. I have read several reviews that the Athena produces a couple of extra HP and has a higher rpm range than the Naraku.
2. Earlier this week I had a fairly serious soft-seize. I haven't torn down yet to see the damage, but I feel i have lost some torque and believe I probably damaged the rings. This was caused by accidently refueling with the wrong can of pre-mix. Note to self: Where you placed your gas can in the day may not be the same can or in the same place in the dark. Don't assume. Read the label. Lesson learned.

I probably won't change the CDI. From what I have read, I don't believe there would be much to gain.

Also I have thought of removing the clock and replacing all that space with an LCD tach. That would be for another day. I already have a feeling that this project may be forever ongoing.
2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Malossi Belt

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »
Damn! Wrong gas can. That sucks.

Also I have thought of removing the clock and replacing all that space with an LCD tach. That would be for another day. I already have a feeling that this project may be forever ongoing.

That's a damn good idea! I want a tach too. Post some pics of that install if you do it. I'd like to do the same. And, yes the project does go on forever. Always something else to buy, change, or improve. Just look at zombies ZX.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:30 AM »
A new CDI may give you more than you think. I'm pretty sure newer models have much more restricted CDIs. Timing curve retards at a higher rate.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
Need some glow in the dark tape/paint for the correct can. Hopefully worst case is you get a new kit in and the Naraku just needs a new set of rings or such that you will have a back-up after the Athena install.
As for a newer cdi, there are only a couple of 'plug and play' available for the Like, one from Naraku and the other I am not certain of the manufacturer. They are actually listed for the Like 50 4t, but should work in theory, though I haven't read about their install on a 2t and for around 100 bucks, I don't have the extra cash to just try one to see. There is the option to cut wires and wire one into the system, but I don't feel comfortable enough with the wiring system yet to attempt such an action.
I have thought about utilizing the wasted space in the control panel as well, but my clock stopped working a few months ago so I am uncertain about LCD vs analogue... I just know I need to get a tach of some nature.
sans scooter, rien

ParaIndiana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
So it appears that the Athena kit will not fit my scoot. Glad the place I was ordering from took the time to review my order and compare it to parts from previous orders. They sent me an email to warn me and ask what I wanted to do. After debating it for a bit, I changed my order to a Malossi BBK. I had a bit of credit, so I added a Naraku CDI to my order. Now it's a wait for more goodies to come in the big brown truck!
2011 Kymco Like 50 2t
Malossi 70 BBK
Malossi 19MM Carb
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Pod air filter
Malossi CF Reeds
Naraku Sport Variator
Naraku Half Pulley
5.5G Dr. Pully Sliders
Malossi Belt

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
Hooray for Brown trucks!
I am interested in discovering if the cdi is better than stock. When, many moons from now, I do increase the cc, Malossi will likely be the way to go. Kudis on the parts supplier for catching that.
I have a question about the fitment of your pipe. When I went to install mine today, I did have to make an extra hole for the bolt under the fan. Did you incur this or any other anomalies when installing?
Hope the flu is on the outs!
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()