Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 50156 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
When you approach "the boss" tell her the 500 is a heavier, safer scooter that can go fast enough to really get you out of trouble if you need to. You see, its not about getting new toys, its about being SAFER.  ;) ;) ;)
No statistics on how many accidents did NOT happen due to more power, weight and speed --- but plenty happened because of those three things.
IMHO - a 170cc SYM is the roof for the power needed to be safer in traffic.
Bigger than that. ..you're buying for other reasons.
Does not seem that buying bigger HP autos very often gets the owner into physical trouble....different story on two wheels.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:33:08 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
Well, you all only have to convince your respective spouses. If I decide to ride again, I'll have to convince a mother, 3 brothers,  3 sisters, a few of my nephews, and all 4 of my nieces. Mother would reluctantly come around, but my oldest sister and oldest brother would be the toughest sell. My accident shook my oldest brother to the core of his being. I've never seen this side of him. It's GREAT to be loved by my family. They've been simply great through all of this. I don't know how I could have remained so upbeat and positive without them. Other than God, they've been the greatest supporters possible. ----But that love comes with a price. Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
Glad to hear that progress, Forbes! A mile of walking is fantastic, and probably a real joy considering what could have been. God is keeping you in his care, that's for sure. Hopefully the permanent leg will arrive shortly, and you can get on to the next stage of this "adventure". All the best!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »
No statistics on how many accidents did NOT happen due to more power, weight and speed --- but plenty happened because of those three things.
IMHO - a 170cc SYM is the roof for the power needed to be safer in traffic.
Bigger than that. ..you're buying for other reasons.
Does not seem that buying bigger HP autos very often gets the owner into physical trouble....different story on two wheels.
Stig

I was just joking Stig.  ;) ;) ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2016, 05:01:11 AM »
Glad to hear that progress, Forbes! A mile of walking is fantastic, and probably a real joy considering what could have been. God is keeping you in his care, that's for sure. Hopefully the permanent leg will arrive shortly, and you can get on to the next stage of this "adventure". All the best!
That's so true. Walking at all is a blessing. And being able to walk a mile in a reasonable amount of time is simply an added blessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »
Well, I got the second temporary leg Friday afternoon. I understand the logic of taking this much time on the front end. It's to make sure that the "permanent " leg will last for at least 8 months because that's the quickest that insurance will pay for the next one without jumping through MAJOR hoops. It will need several adjustments during this time. And eventually my residual limb will shrink so much until the first leg can no longer be adjusted and modified for a comfortable fit. The insurance company will want the second "permanent " leg to last around TWO years. So patience is a must. And I'd rather have the delays and troubles now on the front end than later when the insurance company will start tripping. I'm having enough trouble with them paying the hospital bills.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2016, 05:20:56 AM »
Finally spoke to the total loss division, of the insurance company. Fair market value in my area for my 2012 Downtown 300 is $3725.00. Minus $375, that they would deduct,and let me keep it. $3350, is what I would get, plus they have a company that would buy it from me for the $375. Now I don't know if I want to buy a new Dt 300  and fix up the old one,( frame is good,it's mostly cosmetic) or sell it for parts. Also I like the new 2016 Xciting 500 and the Honda CTX700. Decisions, decisions!! Any thoughts or opinions,would be appreciated. I trust you folks.

Rich

Well Rich, I just checked my health insurance claims page and noticed that they still haven't paid either hospital's claims. I've also noticed that there are SEVERAL claims where they are trying to charge me out of network charges and co pays even though I was in an emergency situation and was in no position to decide which ambulance would pick me up from the median of the highway. Perhaps I should have overlooked the bleeding, the mangled leg, and the bone sticking out and asked the 911 operator if the local ambulance company accepted Cigna insurance. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 24, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
Wow, Forbes, that's terrible!! In a situation, like yours, you needed the closest emergency care, so you wouldn't bleed to death. That out of network BS, should be waived. I pray that everything works out for you. God knows ( and so do your forum pals) that you've been through ENOUGH!!! These insurance companies are unbelievable.They don't see the person, just $$$

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
Wow, Forbes, that's terrible!! In a situation, like yours, you needed the closest emergency care, so you wouldn't bleed to death. That out of network BS, should be waived. I pray that everything works out for you. God knows ( and so do your forum pals) that you've been through ENOUGH!!! These insurance companies are unbelievable.They don't see the person, just $$$

Rich

That's just the tip of the iceberg. It's the same with the anesthesiologist who was on duty that night, he was out of network as well. And the hospital is fighting them because they are trying to deny the tests performed in the ER, and the surgery performed that night because we didn't go through the pre approval process. The hospital will most likely get them to pay most of the those charges. But the anesthesiologist may possibly be charged at the OUT Of network price. The out of network out of pocket limits are higher than the in network limits. I know I'll end up paying my in network out of pocket limits. I expected that. But I really had not expected to have to pay ANY out of network co pays because I didn't purposely choose any out of network doctors , support personnel , or ambulances. But the hospital used the staff that was on duty that night as well as over the weekend. The hospital in Tallahassee hasn't been paid either. But the problem is somewhat less since the procedures there were not emergency procedures. But the insurance is trying to find loopholes there too. I guess they don't want to pay the $87,000 bill at the first hospital or the $83,000 at the second hospital. --- But the hospitals better get it from them because I AIN'T GOT IT. Lol

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »
Glad you finally got the more permanent prosthesis Forbes! Your explanation of the process is very informative and in a fiscal way, it makes sense. I believe the insurance companies try to stretch the claims process out as much as possible in hopes that the parties involved will just give up and pay, then and only then will they do what they should have in the beginning! 
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
Glad you finally got the more permanent prosthesis Forbes! Your explanation of the process is very informative and in a fiscal way, it makes sense. I believe the insurance companies try to stretch the claims process out as much as possible in hopes that the parties involved will just give up and pay, then and only then will they do what they should have in the beginning!
Actually it's not the more permanent one yet. It's actually the second temporary one. I'm to wear it for one week. Hopefully it will be just right, then I will get the "permanent" one based on it. So although I still have one more step, hopefully it is just ONE more step. Lol

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »
Sorry Forbes, my bad.  As far as I can tell, your healing is complete, just your circumstances haven't caught up with you yet! Your body and hardware will catch up soon.  God bless you man.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
Sorry Forbes, my bad.  As far as I can tell, your healing is complete, just your circumstances haven't caught up with you yet! Your body and hardware will catch up soon.  God bless you man.
You said a mouthful right there! 👏🏽👏🏽🙌🏾🙌🏾👍🏾👍🏾
2009 Xciting 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »
Hey guys, does anyone happen to know what part #  for the rear fender mud guard is? The one that the air filter box bolts to.Ive look at the KymcoUSA and Kymcopartsmonster diagrams, and I don't see it. Thanks

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
Hey guys, does anyone happen to know what part #  for the rear fender mud guard is? The one that the air filter box bolts to.Ive look at the KymcoUSA and Kymcopartsmonster diagrams, and I don't see it. Thanks

Rich

Hey Rich. You should be able to find it here;

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Victory#%2fKymco_USA%2fSK60AH_DOWNTOWN_300i%2fF17_-_Light_Tail%2f05%7c%7e05%7c%7e0005%2f05%7c%7e05%7c%7e0051

May consider in the future posting this in the technical/how to forum. Would get better results there and keep the posts clean. Hope that helps you man. Best of luck!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()