Author Topic: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL  (Read 2218 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 11:22:00 PM »
Tom and Rufus....good thoughts for sure.  I was gonna check that throttle cable when I pulled the bucket for the valve adjustment.  I'm waiting on a gasket, afraid I'll need one when I take valve cover off and then scooter will be down.  How the heck you get the fuel pump loose.  I took the bolts out, unplugged it, and I couldn't get it to budge.  Does it turn?  How do you guys get the pump out? 

The scooter runs good. Starts easy, accelerates great, everything up to 51 and it's out of speed with throttle turned all it will go.  I'm gonna go thru every suggestion and eliminate the obvious.  Thank you so much for your ideas and support.....
Yeah the manual just says unbolt it and take it out!
Not so easy to get it 'uncorked'!
I used a few of those hard nylon panel tools to pry carefully all around and around until it came out. If I recall correctly I pushed the tool into 'wedge' it up - rather than heavy prying.
A big thick 0-ring secures it. Manual says to replace it - not possible - too hard to find! All sold as an assembly!

I buttered it up with a little bearing grease going back in.

It will come out -
...of course mine hadn't been sitting, untouched for a decade!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 12:52:22 PM »
  I'm waiting on a gasket, afraid I'll need one when I take valve cover off and then scooter will be down.

don't worry about waiting on the valve cover gasket..many of us have spares that we never used because those seem to not flatten out. You can reuse your existing one with no problems.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »
I think there is no special trick to get the pump out,
this red or brown rubber gasket clued itself  to the fuel tank. Take a small spatula and pry it off all around. If this gasket really tears, easy to replace by an O-ring or sanitation gasket of approximately that size.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »
Got out there at first light. It's too hot to work after mid morning.  Pulled the cvt cover, checked everything.  It all looked good. Clutch was ok after all, I was trying to turn it the wrong way when squeezing to get belt down in groove.  It squeezed smoothly and felt right.  Then I pulled the seat bucket hoping that the trottle cable had slack like Ruffus suggested but no.....full turn of throttle opened the the throttle body all the way.  So I decided to go after the valve adjustment.  Intake was a normal .004 but the exhaust was tight, could't get a .004 in there.  I adjusted it to a loose .004.  I did find one thing interesting.  The spark plug was loose.  I mean real loose.  It was also black and sooty.  I put the new iridium plug in and it tightened up as it should.  So, I've done everything but the air cleaner.  I couldn't seem to get it off and I was not gonna pull the cvt cover again.  I was HOT and TARD (that's redneck for tired).  Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.  I'm gonna put the GPS onit in the morning. Maybe my speedo is reading low....... that would ne something, huh?  I'm out of options.  If I can't get it to do 60, I'll just ride 50.   Thanks for all the help.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 09:33:24 PM »
Got out there at first light. It's too hot to work after mid morning.  Pulled the cvt cover, checked everything.  It all looked good. Clutch was ok after all, I was trying to turn it the wrong way when squeezing to get belt down in groove.  It squeezed smoothly and felt right.  Then I pulled the seat bucket hoping that the trottle cable had slack like Ruffus suggested but no.....full turn of throttle opened the the throttle body all the way.  So I decided to go after the valve adjustment.  Intake was a normal .004 but the exhaust was tight, could't get a .004 in there.  I adjusted it to a loose .004.  I did find one thing interesting.  The spark plug was loose.  I mean real loose.  It was also black and sooty.  I put the new iridium plug in and it tightened up as it should.  So, I've done everything but the air cleaner.  I couldn't seem to get it off and I was not gonna pull the cvt cover again.  I was HOT and TARD (that's redneck for tired).  Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.  I'm gonna put the GPS onit in the morning. Maybe my speedo is reading low....... that would ne something, huh?  I'm out of options.  If I can't get it to do 60, I'll just ride 50.   Thanks for all the help.

Good work!
That is like the 3rd "loose spark plug" I've read on the forum in the past few months!
That couldn't be good for a speed run!
I think I'm going to put "check plug and plug cap for tightness" in my first 3 tips for fixing a troubled engine!
Yeah - pace yourself in the heat!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »
Well, I went to take the scooter on a speed run early this morning before traffic.  Started right up, revved up, creeped out to the street but when I tried to take off, it bucked, stumbled and died....Tried it again, same thing.  As soon as you put a load on it it stumbles and dies.  Now, this is just after I took the cvt apart, checked it all and put back together. I also adjusted the valves and put in an iridium plug.

I noticed my variator backing plate seemed to be rubbing on the step in the crankshaft.  Is there supposed to be a washer or ship there?  I looked at all the parts diagrams and didn't see one shown.  When variator is installed, should the back part of the variator turn freely?  Mine seems to be solid.  I would think it had to be in order to turn with the crankshaft and throw the rollers out.  I'm sure I put it back together the same way it was when I got the scooter.  I've done this job several times on a variety of scooters.

I have know idea if this is related to my valve/plug work or my variator work.  I'm frustrated but I've been there before. Step back, take a break for a day or so and then I'll figure it out....maybe.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 01:19:14 PM »
The whole CVTs variator has to move freely and frictionless on its boss.
There a variations which have a shim behind its CVT, and I think the 200i does have.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:23:44 PM by Ruffus »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »
Well, I went to take the scooter on a speed run early this morning before traffic.  Started right up, revved up, creeped out to the street but when I tried to take off, it bucked, stumbled and died....Tried it again, same thing.  As soon as you put a load on it it stumbles and dies.  Now, this is just after I took the cvt apart, checked it all and put back together. I also adjusted the valves and put in an iridium plug.

I noticed my variator backing plate seemed to be rubbing on the step in the crankshaft.  Is there supposed to be a washer or ship there?  I looked at all the parts diagrams and didn't see one shown.  When variator is installed, should the back part of the variator turn freely?  Mine seems to be solid.  I would think it had to be in order to turn with the crankshaft and throw the rollers out.  I'm sure I put it back together the same way it was when I got the scooter.  I've done this job several times on a variety of scooters.

I have know idea if this is related to my valve/plug work or my variator work.  I'm frustrated but I've been there before. Step back, take a break for a day or so and then I'll figure it out....maybe.
Pls see
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28850.0

There are No shims or washers with-in the LIKE200i's assembled variator.  The only washer is as seen for final fixing of the nut .....see photo of the order & arrangement of these parts.

Possible causes of CVT trouble after a servicing:
sliders fell into wrong position when installing
that front nut torqued/tightened on the 'belt' by mistake. Pinched the belt....nut not tight. Variator not locked to shaft - damage to splines will come - scraping on inside belt cover from nut working off. Loss of 'drive' to wheel.

Rubbing on shaft step - photos possible?

Did the CVT falter - and stop the engine?

Stig

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:54:54 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 05:36:39 PM »
Very clear reply there Stig, thanks.  Photo particularly helpful.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2023, 05:39:28 PM »
thanks guys but two different answers sort of.  The backing plate, part 22131, is steel and fits over the crankshaft with a hole that is crankshaft size and the boss, rear variator, rollers, etc fit over the boss and move easily.  Its the backing plate, part 22131 that shows wear on it's back side where it rides on the step in the crankshaft.  It would appear that the boss puts pressure on this backing plate 22131 against the step in the crankshaft when everything is assembled and tightened up otherwise how would the weights get flung outward.

That said, I did put the variator on wrong when I changed the belt and rollers the first time a few days ago.  After a short ride I heard a sound from the cvt area and investigated resulting in yesterday's going back in to check.  The whole variator rocked back and forth a small amount.  Apparently I didn't get part 28211 on properly and when I tightened down the nut I guess I jammed it down on the splines.  Was a bear getting it and the drive face off.  Took a little file work to straighten everything back up.  That's when I noticed the unusual wear on part 22131.  Everything went back on fine and ran like it should but I didn't ride it waiting on this morning and low traffic for a speed run. 

It's too hot in my shop to work during the day here in Florida.  I did take the seat bucket out to do the work yesterday and wonder if it's possible that I pinched the fuel line when reassembling.  Wishful thinking I'm sure but the scoot starts, idles, and revs up just fine.  It's when you sit on it and take off, it stumbles and dies like it's not getting fuel or spark.  We've got a minor hurricane coming this week so I'll probably have lots of shop time.   Thanks to you guys for messing with me. 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2023, 09:46:04 PM »
Like I wrote there are variants which have shims onto its crankshaft, to be seen as parts #22110 in this diagram.

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 11:41:44 AM »
Ya know how they always say go to the last thing you messed with??  Well, i found my spark plug lead loose!! Thought I felt it click onto the plug but evidently I didn't.  I found it halfway out of the hole.  It' in there now, I hope.  Still need to do the speed run.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I'll let you know.

You guys are the best.  Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »
Ya know how they always say go to the last thing you messed with??  Well, i found my spark plug lead loose!! Thought I felt it click onto the plug but evidently I didn't.  I found it halfway out of the hole.  It' in there now, I hope.  Still need to do the speed run.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I'll let you know.

You guys are the best.  Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge.

We'll be thinking about you as she bears down on Florida.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:09:38 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »
All is well here in my area of Tampa.  The media makes a bigger deal out of things.  Lots of low level flooding and around the beaches.  Thanks for caring.  Took the scoot out for a little commute before the storm.  Couldn't do a speed run but it did seem like it had more power.  That loose plug had to be detrimental. 

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 06:38:19 AM »
Hope you’re still dry and that the plug WAS the cause of the power loss.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()