Author Topic: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL  (Read 2220 times)

R100steve

• View Profile
new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL
« on: August 12, 2023, 01:56:21 AM »
Bought a lightly used 2012 Like 200l this morning. Midnight blue.  11 yrs old and 616 miles on it. Very nice shape,  I've owned several GY6 scooters and am able to work on them including CVT, valve adjustments and normal maintenance.  Rode it 45 miles home in 93 degree heat. Had a blast, literally.  Research says this guy should run 60 or so.  I was unable to get past 51mph even on long stretch.  I haven't done anything yet but intend to set valves, check air cleaner, change spark plug and oils.  I may go into cvt and check belt and variator.  even tho they should be good with 600 miles but I guess ag could affect belt.  What variator weights should work? Will heavier weights get a bit more top end?  We've got some long bridges here and I need 60 mph on them.  Would a performance CDI help or is the EFI system even subject to the normal CDI system.  Is it an AC or DC CDI setup?  I was told that the EFI system couldn't self adjust enuff for using a foam UNI filter and I'd lean out too much.  Any other performance tips other than a gear change?  Oh, it appears I may have a fork seal leaking.  I know how to rebuild forks so that may not be a problem other than the work involved.  Haven't found good parts source yet since the 2012 seems to have been dropped from the sites I've searched.  Ebay says its a 43x55x11 seal but only show sourcing from China.  Can I just find that seal size and use it?   Lots of questions I know. Thanks for listening.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 09:24:16 AM »
Welcome Steve!

There are lots of knowledgeable Like 200 owners on here who will be along soon and will just love getting into the weeds of your questions!  Makes for interesting reading for us non-Like owners too.

From what I’ve read, you bought yourself a great reliable scooter there!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 01:01:04 PM »
Hello Steve
Welcome fellow LIKE200i owner to the forum!
Did you say? does it run after sitting for 12 yrs?

We've flown into Tampa for the past 18 yrs (save for covid) to vacation on St Pete Beach.

Daughter excited to find a Starbucks (in the Hilton?) during one of our rare visits to downtown Tampa.

Hopefully you're not talking about crossing that Skyway bridge....on your LIKE200i....!
I think you'll be doing maybe low 40's by the time you reach the top! Maybe less.
My experience on the highways around that part of Fla. is that 70>85 is the norm.

The LIKE200i is not a highway cruiser - no matter what you do to it. Some say they can get 65mph GPS, which I find hard to believe - because that means the speedo is showing over 70MPH.

It is a super scoot for rural highways, city streets, etc. But not interstates! You might survive on-off one exit - a few did!

I figure your LIKE will benefit from continued break-in mileage. speed should increase a few mph. High 50's, actual?
And yeah that 12 yr old belt has baked nicely in your Tampa heat. Time to replace it. Those cheap 12 yr old Kendas, too. OEM Kymco belts are the norm, and work best for a long time!

Sport muffler and foam air filter will give you more noise - which some imagine is more speed. Removing the rubber baffle in the intake pipe - will do the same.
The EFI on these things works great - fool-wid-it at your scoot's peril. If you were to get some extra speed with non-stock rollers, clutches, kevlar belts, etc.,  - please report it here for your fellow owners! Kymco has it well sorted - easy increase in MPH from a mod would be news.

At 12 yrs....ridden so little I'd be concerned about a rotting fuel line in your tank, above the fuel pump in there. A rotted line can mess with your injector.

OEM parts from www.leesonsarcticcat.com
Seems you might not need help with servicing - but if you do - wwwcyclepedia.com sells the service manual commissioned by KYMCOUSA.

Again welcome to the forum.
The few LIKE200i's I came across in Fla were suffering from the sun and salt air.

Stig

(btw - my fav place in Fla is Woody's Waterfront. and sat with my Dunkin's at many a sunrise in the park near Woody's....looking out into the Gulf.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 01:08:56 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:03:22 PM »
Thanks Stig.  I worked in that bronze colored building in your first picture.  I have also been to the very top of the tower on the Skyway bridge having worked for FDOT. I looked at the parts diagram you referenced and didn't see a fuel pump hose. I assume that it's an elbow shaped thingy.  Where can I buy one of them.  Every parts site I look at does not seem to have the 2012 Like 200i listed.  I'm sure that different years cross referenced but as a newbie to this brand, I'm having difficulty.

This scoot was ridden occasionally over the years but not very much only about 60 miles per year average.  Don't know if it sat for some of those years.  I was hoping that the advertised 65mph was real since I had a Vespa150 that would do GPS 59mph, a Wolf 150 the same.  Then a Lance PCH125 that would only do 49.  I'm hoping you're right and mph will increase.  I would like to go across Gandy bridge to get to St. Pete without getting run over.  Either way, this is a great looking comfortable scooter I intend to keep.

Thank you for telling me to "keep it stock". 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 05:27:52 PM »
Thanks Stig.  I worked in that bronze colored building in your first picture.  I have also been to the very top of the tower on the Skyway bridge having worked for FDOT. I looked at the parts diagram you referenced and didn't see a fuel pump hose. I assume that it's an elbow shaped thingy.  Where can I buy one of them.  Every parts site I look at does not seem to have the 2012 Like 200i listed.  I'm sure that different years cross referenced but as a newbie to this brand, I'm having difficulty.

This scoot was ridden occasionally over the years but not very much only about 60 miles per year average.  Don't know if it sat for some of those years.  I was hoping that the advertised 65mph was real since I had a Vespa150 that would do GPS 59mph, a Wolf 150 the same.  Then a Lance PCH125 that would only do 49.  I'm hoping you're right and mph will increase.  I would like to go across Gandy bridge to get to St. Pete without getting run over.  Either way, this is a great looking comfortable scooter I intend to keep.

Thank you for telling me to "keep it stock".
Just checked the parts diagram....looks like they're selling the fuel pump assembly complete, now. (part # 17550)
So a fuel line from autoparts store should work....taking the old in to match. (there's a youtube video of this  rotted hose issue)
My LIKE200i is a 2012 ....and I've no problems - making me think it might be caused by letting old fuel sit in the tank for years.

BTW -  there have never been changes in the LIKE200i's sold here. Paint color and stickers only. Ordering parts is easy - they all fit - any year.

And yeah - there are some 150's and probably 125's which will outrun the 163cc LIKE200i. I wish they'd stop telling customers that it is highway capable, with a 60+ top-speed. Low 50's isn't right - but over 60 is a rare model! I'm 6'3", 260lbs and get @ 59/61 or so on the speedo - so - right at 55 actual. I've never tried a crouching speed run......not my style! I'm in no hurry - because I stay off 65mph roads.

My every ride starts in the dark, now that I'm no longer commuting 365 in Ohio. Won't ride in snow - but rain is no problem.
Brake pads last forever, as does the airfilter , staying so clean where the intake is sited. I change belts  q/4000 miles - halve the oil and valves intervals.
It is easy to service. (no longer mess with the oil 'screen') I use an Iridium NGK plug and some DrPulley slide weights.

Dead reliable now for 10 yrs.....fingers crossed. (forgot - after 1 year - I did get a new throttle body under warranty - a very few built early 2012 had a throttle position sensor that would lose the plot - a small number of owners reported it here, too)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 08:49:44 PM »
any idea why mine will only go 51mph indicated on speedo?  With such low mileage and knowing where it lived, I'm sure it was rarely ridden over 40.  I'm about the same weight as Stig.  I'm gonna set valves, put in Iridium plug, change the fuel hose, check air filter, tire pressue, etc and see what it will do then.  What slider weight? 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 10:21:22 PM »
 14g (18/14)

I tried 13g but did not like that my revs increased across the ground speed...
that is to say, at 35mph my revs were now higher than with stock Kymco weights. I could hear it and feel it.

13g may have given me a higher top speed - I wouldn't know, because I almost never do top-speed runs. Might have been lower top speed?

Where'd your speed go?...I've no idea what 11 yrs of Fla heat and lack of use has done. But - I would pull the belt cover and have a look - including while running.

There should be another 5 > 8 mph in there, somewhere.
Any ideas - LIKE200i owners??

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 04:12:19 PM »
Hope you get your LIKE200i sorted!
These LIKE's are great scooters.
Went out this morning, she always starts almost before one can let go of the start button! Been doing that since 2013.
That EFI is a wonder!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 02:42:58 PM »
congrats on the new scoot! On my previous (weird to say that..) People S200, same engine and driveline (minus fuel injection), I could hit an indicated low 60's in a tuck..hit indicated 70'ish once, in a long down hill run, full tuck...plus I weigh just under 150 lbs, so that may help.

So an indicated 51 on yours (really 49?) means you're missing something...I'd start with pulling the cvt cover and taking a good look in there, pull everything apart and give it a good clean..plus a new belt is a good idea.

Brake fluid, too, should be replaced as it's likely original. Get some good tires on it an ride on!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 12:06:59 AM »
still working on the 2012 Like 200i with 616 miles on it..  Tried to get the fuel pump out so I could check the hose but couldn't get it to budge.  Bent the tank a bit prying on it.  Finally gave up. Scoot seems to run fine.  Went in the CVT and changed the rollers to 14g sliders and put on new 781-20-30 Bando/Kymco belt.  Still haven't set the valves or done the spark plug because I'm waiting on a valve cover gasket in case I need one.  STILL WON'T GO OVER 51mph.......I bought this scooter because reviews said it would do 60-65.  Not sure what is wrong.  All stock parts except the sliders.  Put premium fuel in it, a couple tanks thru it now.  Added SeaFoam injector cleaner.  Hope the valve clearance setting helps along with the Iridium plug.  It was ridden during those 11 years, not just sitting but not very much.  Lady says she only went over 40mph once.  It accelerates fine up to about 40, then slowly gets on up to 50mph. 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »
well, that is a little frustrating. Could your rear pulley not be working properly / smoothly?

A rear pulley should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and regreased occasionally (although yours has such low miles...)
Might be worth a try to make sure you're not missing anything. The challenge with a rear pulley/clutch assembly is removing the large clutch nut. My S200 had a 39mm nut so I bought a 39mm impact socket on Amazon and used my impact for removal.

Lots of youtube vids on disassembling and greasing a rear pulley/clutch.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »
IaHawk,  that's a thought.  When I was putting the belt on, I couldn't compress the clutch by squeezing like normal, I had to pull/twist the belt to get it down in the pulley.  I haven't had a clutch that tight before.  Maybe after so little use over 11 yrs it need to be serviced.  I can do that since I've seen all the videos and I have the tools.  Thanks for the tip

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 04:30:47 PM »
Running out of the obvious....

The injector has a nice fan-spray - engine getting good fuel?
Not a mouse living in the muffler?
Brakes dragging?
Really low PSI in tires?

At 600 miles hard to think that the valve lash could be off far.
Certainly worth popping a new Iridium plug in there - but they're not a magic bullet. One should strengthen your idle....and last a long time.

I'd sure like to get a look at the fuel pump assembly. Sitting in that old gas for all those years!
There would be no reason (at 600 miles) for the fuel pressure to be failing unless that hose is rotted and leaking some?
Engine getting enough to run at 51, but no faster.

One thought I had was popping on a cheap tachometer, wrapped around the spark plug lead.. See what the engine speed is at 51MPH.
Max output is at 7,500 RPM
Max torque at 6,500
Idle 1,700 +/- 100

Valves and Iridium find another 8 MPH? Can't see it, if the correct size new belt didn't do it and airfilter is OK.

What does it 'sound' like at 51MPH?....bogging, trying to die?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 05:11:11 PM »
As a far shot:
-do uou have too much slack in your throttle cable?
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 08:28:02 PM »
Tom and Rufus....good thoughts for sure.  I was gonna check that throttle cable when I pulled the bucket for the valve adjustment.  I'm waiting on a gasket, afraid I'll need one when I take valve cover off and then scooter will be down.  How the heck you get the fuel pump loose.  I took the bolts out, unplugged it, and I couldn't get it to budge.  Does it turn?  How do you guys get the pump out? 

The scooter runs good. Starts easy, accelerates great, everything up to 51 and it's out of speed with throttle turned all it will go.  I'm gonna go thru every suggestion and eliminate the obvious.  Thank you so much for your ideas and support.....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()