Author Topic: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL  (Read 2217 times)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: new to me 2012 Like 200i in Tampa, FL
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2023, 05:14:15 AM »
changing weights only affects acceleration.  No effect on top speed.  A new belt might give you a slight increase; I managed to squeak out another 5 knots by changing to a Gates belt.  There's a lot of trial and error in this stuff, and that bridge looks like a serious challenge!

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2023, 01:22:39 PM »
Well, I'm at my wit's end for now.  This morning I went for a speed run and barely made 40mph.  Funny thing tho, my gps said I went 45.  I finally got the fuel pump out and the little hose looked good.  I changed it anyway.  The only thing I found was the pump filter detached and laying in the bottom of the tank.  Non operable fuel guage was due to the sending unit being broken.  I found a little piece detached that appeared to slide across the electrical pads that change resistance.  Seems unfixable so I'm sourcing a new sending unit.  Anybody know of a non oem replacement??

So, I have changed the rollers to Dr Pulley sliders, changed the belt to new Kymco Bando belt.  Examined the clutch.  Set the valves. Changed plug to NGK iridium. Checked the air filter.  Pulled the fuel pump and changed the hose and reinstalled the filter.  Checked and evaluated the fuel sending unit. Filled tires to proper 25/32 pressure.  I haven't checked the injector spray pattern since I don't know how.  The scooter starts, revs, accelerates and runs like it should

Only thing left is to try some variator tuning.  I'm bewildered that scooter runs slower after I did all of the above.  I'm old and fat with two knee replacements and I have to work on the cvt while laying on the shop floor.  That combined with the Florida heat and humidity limit my ability to do more than one set up at a time.  I know how to do the tuning, make the sharpie marks, etc.  I think I'm going back to the rollers instead of the sliders first, mark the variator surface and see if I'm getting full height on the belt.

I'm just about ready to give up.  Based on my results this morning with the speedo reading LOWER than the gps I'm interested to see what occurs when I get the speedo reading 51 mph again after tuning the variator stuff.  If I can.  Thanks again for all of your help.  This forum is great.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »
I know you looked at your rear pulley, but did you actually disassemble it and regrease? The rear pully must function correctly in order to reach top speed. I know this is a longshot as the pulley will likely be fine but still worth a shot to make sure you've covered all the bases.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »
I know what it is like working on scooters, on the floor, in the heat, after reaching a certain level of seniority...🥴!!
Going back to original rollers...OK, agree.
But I definitely would go back to that 51mph belt, too!
If your Bando belt is even slightly the wrong size  --- could account for the missing 10mph.
Hang in there!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »
Thanks Stig and IaHawk.  I'll do what you suggested.  How do I check the spray pattern on the injector??

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2023, 06:45:44 PM »
@R100steve,
IMHO and what I have seen, some of KYMCOs pulleys are NOT machined properly to standards, means they are thicker than required and therefore this particular scoot will never ever reach topspeed, because both front parts cannot close completely and push the belt all the way up.

A) My standard cure for that:
- that part which is carrying the rollers or whatever you put in, is pinched into my lathe and 1(one) millimeter inside is milled off.
Both parts are finding closeness again and all is fine. (pls see pic)
Feltpen test shows the truth.

B) there is a way to mount DrPs squares wrongly, then it will not reach topspeed either.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 06:57:17 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2023, 09:37:13 PM »
Well, Ruffus, I don't have a lathe.  Is there a measurement or a way to tell is I have a out of spec variator? 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2023, 09:54:45 PM »
You don't need necessarely a lathe to get rid of some material there, but:
- before you jump into action pls see this link

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30655.msg215843#msg215843

- on the last pic you can see leftovers from colormarkings which were vertically drawn about 1/3  on this pulleys flank
(with DrPs it got up higher, means more topspeed)
- I could have gone more to the edge but then the danger of a jumping off belt prevails
Was anyway fast enough.

- during running, scoots belt is rubbing off as high it reaches, indicating its performance
- the more left over from markings the less closing and performance you will get

Precondition is of course a healthy running motor which is able to reach max revvs (8000) with CVT OFF!
You might do this before any mechanical changes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:04:17 PM by Ruffus »

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2023, 01:08:55 PM »
I used to buy, fix and sell airhead BMW and Harley motorcycles.  I've owned 4 scooters and worked on them.  I don't think I've ever had a more problematic project than this 2012 Kymco Like200i with only 650 miles on it......

Took evreyone's advice yesterday and this morning and serviced the clutch, put the old like new belt back in along with the original 14g rollers instead on the sliders I had installed.  I got my 50 mph back.....previously I had changed belt and sliders and speed dropped to 40!!!  Tom suggested I change back and he was right once again.  Guess the new Bando belt for the Kymco 200i I bought was a bit different length.

After all this, I went to pull out of the yard and it stuttered and died.  Started but would not take throttle.  I thought OH Damn,,,,what now.  Pushed back to shop, took bucket out, tried to start it and something caught my eye.  The plug wire had pulled loose from the cap and was sparking!!  How the hell did that happen??  Put it all back together, took it for a run and got my 50 mph back.  Didn't take the gps so I don't know if that's accurate.  Yesterday my speedo indicated 40 was gps 45.  Hoping my now 50 is 58.  Fingers crossed.

I have to say this has been an experience.  Thanks to you guys it's certainly been enlightening.  Not sure If I'll keep this scooter tho, it's been more trouble than it's worth.  I bought it thinking low miles and it's a major brand and all the reviews and ads said 60-65 mph.  I still want to run and honest 60-65.  I had a Wolf 150 and a Vespa 150 that ran 60+.  BUT, I really like the style and comfort of this Like.  We'll see I guess.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2023, 01:45:29 PM »
😀👍👍🛠🔩

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2023, 02:18:36 PM »
Speed run results...gps 54, speedo 49.  Never seen a speedo reading low before.  Maybe try some variator tuning when I get enthused again.  Must say, top speed is a bit scary in town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2023, 01:57:42 PM »
Glad you got it sorted Steve!
Well, still not the top speed you were looking for when you purchased your LIKE200i.
But - I think you will find this to be a robust & reliable scooter now - after bringing it out of 11 yrs of hibernation. Averaging, what - 2 hrs a year or less with the engine running?
There are plenty of 125>170cc scooters that will outrun it....but as you've seen when working on it , Kymco used pretty good parts and craftsmanship in this fairly inexpensive scooter.
This is my 11th summer with my LIKE and I see it as very reliable transportation in every kind of weather. I've ridden it at 5°F to the upper 90's - in down-pours and winds....always starting my rides in the dark.
I reassure myself with a Yuasa 14Ah battery and an Iridium plug - to get myself home after coffee on some very cold days mornings. I change the oil frequently - it takes less than a Qt.

I started watching these goofy guys having fun with their LIKE's some years ago. I believe those are 125cc engines.

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2023, 02:50:05 PM »

I started watching these goofy guys having fun with their LIKE's some years ago. I believe those are 125cc engines.

Major Tom

Good vid Stig, I'm guessing the Philippines?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

R100steve

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2023, 02:07:24 AM »
I swear this thing is cursed....I got a fuel sending unit from Amazon, hooked up and found out the wires were wrong in the connector.  Sorted that out and got it working.  Scoot started, revved up, guage worked.  I shut it off and put the seat bucket back in.  Now it WON"T START.  Cranks but no fire.  Took the bucket out and still won't start.  I closed the shop and haven't looked at it for 2 days.  Gonna check for spark next but can't figure out what might have happened.  Fuses near battery look good.  Batter dies from cranking so much but it's been on the trickle charger.   I didn't do anything except install the new sending unit.  I even unplugged it and tried but no start.  Does this scoot have a coil like other gy6 scooters?  Looks like I would have to take the rear body work off to get to it.  I have a coll and plug wire set up from my Lance scooter.  Any inspirational thoughts??

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2023, 12:40:33 PM »
sometimes you just want to....
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()