Author Topic: Front cover fell off  (Read 5970 times)

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Front cover fell off
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »
Tonight I went for a ride and the front cover (the black part that comes to a point between the headlights) just fell off.  By the time I was able to stop, park and retrieve it at least one car had run over it.  All the tabs are broken off and it hasa big crack in it.   >:(  II'm going to the dealer tomorrow and ask that this be handled as a warranty repair.  After all, parts are not supposed to be just falling off the scooter.  Do you think there will be a problem with running tbe S8 until the new cover comes in if I tape the broken one to the scoot to protect the parts underneath?  Has anyone else had this part fall off their scooters?
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Front cover fell off
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
Sucks... Yeah we have all had random things fall off our bikes. It wont hurt anything to ride it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:32 AM »
..yeah, ride on...tape it securely in place with some black electrical tape if you don't like how it looks...

..I wish you luck with the warranty.. When did you buy the scoot?
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »
I bought the scoot less than two months ago.  I sure hope there's not going to be an issue with the warranty...  And I sure hope nothing else falls off my bike!
Scooter is stock

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Velcro Gloves.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »
I bought the scoot less than two months ago.  I sure hope there's not going to be an issue with the warranty...  And I sure hope nothing else falls off my bike!

you should be good...   ;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »
Velcro gloves???  I don't get it.    Also, if I use electrical tape will that screw up the paint on the surrounding pieces?
Scooter is stock

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »
It's hard to fall off if you are Velcro'ed to the bars. ;)

Vinyl tape won't hurt the paint. Duct Tape will.

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
thanks for the advice about the tape--I would have used duct tape (and also the advice about Velcro gloves :P).  Will post about what happens at the dealers' today about the warranty.
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles. 3 screws had to fall out or be ripped out in order for this to come off. See the first part of this vid as reference. Note the plastic screws don't need to come off for this piece to come off. I find it amazing that it came off though. Are the two screws still on the scoot that are on the top of the leg shield? If so the just the bottom screw came out and air got under it and probably ripped it off. If so this concerns me as one little screw essentially holds this piece on. Wishing you good luck at your dealer.

Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
I was going to review your videos because I was sure you would've taken the front cover off.  I have to look at the scoot to see what is up with the screw situation.  The bottom tip is broken off so I'll see if the rest is stll on the bike.  I went to the dealer this AM, and they said they'd never heard of a situation like this.  I don't think they were thrilled about the prospect of a warranty claim, especially since they are going out of the Kymco business and soon will not be servicing them.  Wish I'd known that before I bought my S8.  What's done is done,  and I'm just going to focus on getting the scoot fixed.  I'll tape the broken one on for the time being so I can still ride.  Wish I knew about wiring, this is a great opportunity to put in a louder horn.
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
Even if the dealer stops selling KYMCO's I believe there are regulations in place that they have to service for a certain time period. You might call KYMCO about this just so you know what your options are.
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Great advice...first I'm going to see what happens with the parts and the warranty claim.  Hopefully someone else in the county where I live on Long Island will take up the Kymco account. BTW, based on your previous post I looked over the scoot for the screws you mentioned, after reviewing your video.  I think the two top screws are still there in that black thing with the part that went flying when you removed the front cover.  Looking at them from underneath, they kind of look like they are situated in a molly. The screw hole on the bottom was empty, and the curved portion of the front cover had broken off by the time I got to pick it up.

Interestingly, when I came back from today's scoot ride, I found a small black phillips head screw lying in my parking space.  I don't know if it is from my scoot, since I did not see it before I left.  I looked around for a place on the scoot where it could have come from. 
Scooter is stock

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
Blackhawk, go to Kymco usa website. They have a dealer locator link. You enter your zipcode, and it will search and list any authorized dealers in your area, along with a map to pin point them for you. You may get lucky and find another dealer within a reasonable distance.
Worth a shot.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

pmoneysuper850

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
Samething happened to my S850  over the weekend :(

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()