Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143386 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #660 on: November 01, 2017, 06:26:26 AM »
Cheers.
***Apologies, I've just noticed Stuo's reply - I'll leave mine as is as it might still be useful***

How does one do that?

I too would like some insurance.

Hi Kneeslider, sorry, I've only just noticed your post.

Just to let you know, I've disabled the 'long cable' lock (actually the cable had snapped) - i.e. the one on the left as you look from the front of the bike. It seems to be perfectly secure on the one lock latch.

So, from memory, take the seat and seat tub off and study the action of the lock as you turn the ignition key. You'll then be able to figure out where you need to attach your 'insurance' loop.

Once you've employed a zip tie / bit of string, put the seat back on (but not the seat tub) and try to open the seat using your insurance loop by feeling around under the sidepanel for it. The shorter you make your loop, the better it is hidden (but the more difficult it is to reach). I think I have 2 x short zip ties tied together to open mine and you have to reach right up there to open it.

Once you've sussed it out, put the seat tub back in and off you go.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
Have had sticky front brake and worn front tyre. Changed tyre myself saving £30 and taken brake caliper apart and cleaned pistons with 2000 grade sandpaper, replaced brake pads and put some red brake grease on seals. Was quoted £50 for the job. Also replaced steering bearings and runners that I bought on ebay for £16 but grease was everywhere so didn’t manage to take any pictures.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
My steering head bearings need changing. Its something I was going to tackle over the winter. Is it fairly straightforward... Or a bit of a bugger off a job? The manual also says you need a special tool for the top bolt, but I can't find it anywhere for sale. Finally, steering head bearings... Racing planet. Co.uk?

Cheers!

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 06, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
My steering head bearings need changing. Its something I was going to tackle over the winter. Is it fairly straightforward... Or a bit of a bugger off a job? The manual also says you need a special tool for the top bolt, but I can't find it anywhere for sale. Finally, steering head bearings... Racing planet. Co.uk?

Cheers!
Bought bearings on ebay. Runners were bit tricky to get out of the frame. I just used steel pipe and hammer. No need for special tool, just screwdriver and hammer.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 06, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
Cool. Thanks for that.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 08, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
Where did you source your head bearings?

I've had my head bearings replaced over a year ago.

Since then, they have become loose, so I was experiencing shuddering when braking.

After tightening them up, I went to tight and it made the steering stiff, as if I had a steering damper on. So I find myself in the deliame that I have to be between being overly tight and suffer the shuddering or being too tight.

Did you have this problem?

Have had sticky front brake and worn front tyre. Changed tyre myself saving £30 and taken brake caliper apart and cleaned pistons with 2000 grade sandpaper, replaced brake pads and put some red brake grease on seals. Was quoted £50 for the job. Also replaced steering bearings and runners that I bought on ebay for £16 but grease was everywhere so didn’t manage to take any pictures.

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »
Where did you source your head bearings?

I've had my head bearings replaced over a year ago.

Since then, they have become loose, so I was experiencing shuddering when braking.

After tightening them up, I went to tight and it made the steering stiff, as if I had a steering damper on. So I find myself in the deliame that I have to be between being overly tight and suffer the shuddering or being too tight.

Did you have this problem?
I have just bought the scooter as write off with no mot so was looking for things that might be picked up by tester. I have noticed that steering bearings were loose and there was knocking when braking. I decided to just tighten up the bearings but overdone it and it was put as advisory. Mot was refused because of sticking front brake and worn front tyre so while I was sorting that out and had to order tyre and brake caliper grease I have ordered set of bearings and races of eBay for £16. All passed now with no advisories.
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391050982180

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 09, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
I can tell you, the price you got for them is excellent, too bad the shipping costs which they are asking for to be sent to me in Malaysia is crazy.

I have just bought the scooter as write off with no mot so was looking for things that might be picked up by tester. I have noticed that steering bearings were loose and there was knocking when braking. I decided to just tighten up the bearings but overdone it and it was put as advisory. Mot was refused because of sticking front brake and worn front tyre so while I was sorting that out and had to order tyre and brake caliper grease I have ordered set of bearings and races of eBay for £16. All passed now with no advisories.
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391050982180

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »
When I see post like these I wish I had a heated garage with a foundation. One day I'll learn more, especially from this forum.

- Wolf

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 11, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
Installed a brand new windscreen from Leeson's: $98, including shipping, which seems like a bargain compared to the one for my P-250: $120+.
2009 GV 250

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Today I have installed seat bracket extender. It allows the seat to open fully for better access to your luggage. I find it ingenious. Other plus side is that the seat pops up when open by key. It bolts on in the same place as old bracket and it needs one self tapping screw.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
I removed the seat rod and let the seat open to the handle bar works for me never falls, 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 15, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Lolo, that is really hot! Where didja get it and how much? De dee's idea is quite elegant but until I hear the price, yours is tops!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
Lolo, that is really hot! Where didja get it and how much? De dee's idea is quite elegant but until I hear the price, yours is tops!

Karl
I got it from Taiwan big scooter shop. Ordered it together with Dr pulley sliders and oil filter for $80. I think bracket was about $18 but they had good price on those Dr pulley sliders so bought it all together to combine postage. It's decent made from as it looks stainless steel.

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
I removed the seat rod and let the seat open to the handle bar works for me never falls,
I thought about doing it as well but it would be the same as on my Honda pcx that came without that strut and I found it a bit annoying. Seat was opening all the way to the handlebars but wind blew it closed a few times when I was ramaging through the boot. Also I had to prop it open with my head when I wanted to look for something. I think that strut is a very convenient feature.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()