Author Topic: Scooter suddenly started shaking on acceleration and rolls forward at idle  (Read 2214 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: Scooter suddenly started shaking on acceleration and rolls forward at idle
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2023, 01:25:02 PM »
Mouse, this ramp plate looks at 2nd view overall a little bit rough to me, IF you get a new one, compare, IF NOT, do a thorough smoothing and polishing on that. Though the inner ingranation looks too rounded to me.
Breaking edges too.

Dr. P or TechPülley gliders/squares in right dimension might be an idea too, to avoid such an event.

Already ordered a new ramp plate. That flat spot from the roller in the pic isn't going to buff out.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2023, 10:38:06 AM »
So from the repair/service manual, the causes of rear wheel spin on idle or loss of power (from the CVT/transmisiion) are:

Engine starts but motorcycle won't move

• Worn drive belt
• Broken ramp plate
• Worn or damaged clutch lining
• Broken driven face spring

Engine stalls or motorcycle creeps

• Broken clutch weight spring

Lack of power
• Worn drive belt
• Weak driven face spring
• Worn weight roller
• Faulty driven face

For me, a worn weight roller was correct!
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »
Mousejunks, sorry this happened to you but thank you for walking the rest of us through your discovery process. It's very interesting and satisfying to follow these issues through to conclusion. Hope you're back riding, soon!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2023, 02:30:08 PM »
I wonder what brand of rollers your shop installed which grenaded after 10,000km?
This is a first for me - a roller failure!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2023, 02:52:27 PM »
I wonder what brand of rollers your shop installed which grenaded after 10,000km?
This is a first for me - a roller failure!

Stig

Rollers were genuine Kymco from Taiwan.

On closer inspection, grime build-up in the roller grooves of the variator might have caused the rollers to become stuck. The flat spot developed on the plastic shell first and then eroded through to the metal.

Unknown why the grime was so oily, there were no leaks in the CVT seals. Possibly 3 years of wet weather and road grime.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 02:55:14 PM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »
All CVT parts finally arrived installed. Works perfectly and no more transmission issues. Nuts torqued to 100Nm and 60Nm as per the service manual.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:55:08 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2023, 09:29:36 AM »
Congrats👍
....🥂
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »
Hey Mouse,

Glad to see you're up and running again. I am curious as to whether or not you ascertained the need for all new parts from your "mechanic" or upon your final inspection persuade you? I can't imagine such a new bike as yours needing a new face plate unless it really got damaged or gouged badly. All I did with mine was to clean it out good with solvent and buff the roller valleys and it was good as new.

The reason I inquire is that I had 2 rollers go to Crap City on me once and all I did was replace all the rollers, and being that they had over 50000 miles on them I should have done that replacement miles earlier but failed to use proper judgement. Not ever having owned or had problems with rollers it was a learning experience.

Just out of curiosity how were able to squeeze the belt back onto the clutch assy before looping over variator plate? I usually have to beat it into the clutch plates using deadblow and a cut down to size 2x4.

Again kudos on the finished job!

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2023, 05:12:58 PM »
Hey Mouse,

Glad to see you're up and running again. I am curious as to whether or not you ascertained the need for all new parts from your "mechanic" or upon your final inspection persuade you? I can't imagine such a new bike as yours needing a new face plate unless it really got damaged or gouged badly. All I did with mine was to clean it out good with solvent and buff the roller valleys and it was good as new.

The reason I inquire is that I had 2 rollers go to Crap City on me once and all I did was replace all the rollers, and being that they had over 50000 miles on them I should have done that replacement miles earlier but failed to use proper judgement. Not ever having owned or had problems with rollers it was a learning experience.

Just out of curiosity how were able to squeeze the belt back onto the clutch assy before looping over variator plate? I usually have to beat it into the clutch plates using deadblow and a cut down to size 2x4.

Again kudos on the finished job!

The mechanic wanted to replace nearly all the parts in the CVT - I said no and took the bike back.

The only parts that were replaced were the ramp plate, sliders and rollers. The ramp plate was gouged by the flat spot on the roller.

Funnily enough my previous Kymco had 80,000km and the pulleys, ramp plate and clutch were never replaced. They were fine.

For the clutch, you have to squeeze the pulley very hard with two hands. It can be done.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 07:37:07 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Ericson

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2023, 10:06:53 PM »

For the clutch, you have to squeeze the pulley very hard with two hands. It can be done.

If you can't squeeze the clutch with hands try to rotate it 45 degrees. Once I was trying to squeeze it so hard that my fingers hurt for next two days but I just could do it. Then I rotetet clutch 45 degrees and it was much easier to squeeze.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()