Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143353 times)

stuo

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #645 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:51 PM »
Hey AMAC,

At least she will get on the scooter...(but maybe that's not a good thing?).

I concur 100% on the separate houses in different states, meeting up on alternate birthdays works for me.

Stu

P.S. I bought a 12 volt accessory socket on ebay for $1.41, (postage included!), drilled a hole next to the under seat light and ran two 14 gauge wires directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. I now have an additional place to charge the phone, plus plug in a battery charger or my tire pump. I don't trust the one in the glove box to do much considering the .8 amp fuse it's got. 
2009 GV 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2017, 02:31:59 AM »
All my X's live in Texas, that's why I reside in Tennessee.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Ivor3648

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 28, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
Well at long last I managed to change the spark plug on my DT 300i. Who ever thought of putting the engine that way round so the plug is where it is needs their head examined. Anyway, now I know how it is done and it is possible I am sure it will be easier the next time, if ever.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:52:34 PM by Ivor3648 »

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
I solved the problem of the seat needing two or three twists of the key to unlatch, even after copious lubing and cable adjusting: I removed the left-side locking bracket from the seat, thereby removing the function of the left side latch. Now, one easy turn of the key opens the seat every time.

Having two cables on one switch/lever is bad design because over time one of the latches will not open due to the "s--t happens" law. Sixty five years of wrenching taught me this. Besides, what need is there for two latches? Huh? Anyone? And don't tell me it needs symmetry: on the right, so one on the left.
2009 GV 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 29, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
I'd still attach a plastic zip tie around the latch release. Just long enough to get a finger in the loop and open the seat.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 29, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »
I agree, Snorvey, insurance is always a good investment: peace of mind is priceless.
2009 GV 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2017, 01:30:44 AM »
Hi,

How does one do that?

I too would like some insurance.

I'd still attach a plastic zip tie around the latch release. Just long enough to get a finger in the loop and open the seat.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:43 AM »
Well at long last I managed to change the spark plug on my DT 300i. Who ever thought of putting the engine that way round so the plug is where it is needs their head examined.

I also found it rather tricky to reach the spark plug - my ratchet extension was either too long or short so I had to run to the hardware store for a 10cm one.

I think it was a result of a design constraint or oversight - the top of the cylinder head is occupied by the intake valves and fuel injector so there is no room but on the side.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Ivor3648

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 30, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
I also found it rather tricky to reach the spark plug - my ratchet extension was either too long or short so I had to run to the hardware store for a 10cm one.

I think it was a result of a design constraint or oversight - the top of the cylinder head is occupied by the intake valves and fuel injector so there is no room but on the side.

I still have the original roll of tools with mine and the spark plug spanner in there is the correct length to do the job, so Kymco got that bit right.

To get at the plug, I ended up with the bike jacked up and leaning to the right and me flat on my back on the ground on the left hand side.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:47:51 AM by Ivor3648 »

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 31, 2017, 01:29:16 AM »
Agree that the plug puller is the correct length.

To change my plug, I always remove the seat and tub. Makes getting to the plug easier and while that tub is out, i would do a quick check that all the wires and hoses are in order.

I still have the original roll of tools with mine and the spark plug spanner in there is the correct length to do the job, so Kymco got that bit right.

To get at the plug, I ended up with the bike jacked up and leaning to the right and me flat on my back on the ground on the left hand side.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 31, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »
Being a cheap SOB I refused to pay $100+ for a top case mounting bracket, so I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the mounting bracket that comes with the 23" X 17" Chinese top case that cost me $54 on ebay, including shipping, and for which Saddlemen charges $150 after putting their logo on it. 

I removed the two 8mm Allen head bolts that hold down the rear of the stock rear rack, bought two longer ones, then drilled and counter sunk two holes in the plywood the precise distance apart as the two mounting holes on the rear rack. I also counter sunk and drilled one more bolt hole in the plywood at the rear of the wood and through the rack for stability. I belt sanded the edges of the plywood, sprayed it flat black, then bolted it to the bike.

I fastened the top case mounting bracket to the plywood with four bolts, being able to reach underneath the plywood to fasten the washers and nuts, otherwise I could have used wood screws into the plywood.

I now have a top case that cost me less than $60 total and will take any strength test you could devise, hell, the case will break before the mount because virtually all the stress is on the bolts and plywood, not on the bike's rear rack.

If I had a camera I'd post pix but I'm just learning my way around this here cumpooter thingy. My advice: don't let that warning on the bike's rear rack scare you from making your own mount.
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 31, 2017, 06:28:48 AM »
Kneeslider: Answering your question about getting insurance re opening your seat: If you remove the seat tub and play with the latches until you discover how to release them with your finger you can attach zip ties, string, etc. to them long enough so you can pull the string from underneath if the key doesn't work for you. Or...do what I did and remove the left side latch bracket from the seat so you only have one latch that locks. It's having two cables/latches on one release lever that's the cause of the problems. When Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic he chose a plane with a single engine rather then two because he figured there would be twice as many things to break or go wrong with two engines. Not exactly the perfect analogy but you get my drift. 

Having just one latch and one cable=much less chance of failure.
2009 GV 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
Replaced the blown 1157 rear tail light bulb with Phillips Red LEDs.

I'd say they are at best 10% brighter.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Kneeslider: Answering your question about getting insurance re opening your seat: If you remove the seat tub and play with the latches until you discover how to release them with your finger you can attach zip ties, string, etc. to them long enough so you can pull the string from underneath if the key doesn't work for you. Or...do what I did and remove the left side latch bracket from the seat so you only have one latch that locks. It's having two cables/latches on one release lever that's the cause of the problems. When Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic he chose a plane with a single engine rather then two because he figured there would be twice as many things to break or go wrong with two engines. Not exactly the perfect analogy but you get my drift. 

Having just one latch and one cable=much less chance of failure.
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
***Apologies, I've just noticed Stuo's reply - I'll leave mine as is as it might still be useful***

How does one do that?

I too would like some insurance.

Hi Kneeslider, sorry, I've only just noticed your post.

Just to let you know, I've disabled the 'long cable' lock (actually the cable had snapped) - i.e. the one on the left as you look from the front of the bike. It seems to be perfectly secure on the one lock latch.

So, from memory, take the seat and seat tub off and study the action of the lock as you turn the ignition key. You'll then be able to figure out where you need to attach your 'insurance' loop.

Once you've employed a zip tie / bit of string, put the seat back on (but not the seat tub) and try to open the seat using your insurance loop by feeling around under the sidepanel for it. The shorter you make your loop, the better it is hidden (but the more difficult it is to reach). I think I have 2 x short zip ties tied together to open mine and you have to reach right up there to open it.

Once you've sussed it out, put the seat tub back in and off you go.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:21:37 PM by Snorvey »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()