Author Topic: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed  (Read 15897 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
Once I started dialing in the weight to a good range, top speed increased by about 5mph with my vari, so all I have to say is thanks for the recommend.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
Same result I have. It's kicked Malossi to the curb for variators. I think the only Malossi I am running now are their springs, and decals. So far I like the contra springs, and the torsion controller. The controller works more like a shim to pre load than a twisty thing but it is another nice tool to have.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Wow, sounds awesome! You're using the 1000 contra and 8g roller weights?

Well, glad I waited a day, might just get the Jasil variator by the way you guys are talking it up. Was considering it, anyway, since it's supposed to have better acceleration and that's what I need the most.

What's top speed right now, wass? 52 or so?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:15:50 PM by Psuffix »

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
Top speed is 45-46 under perfect conditions, versus 40-41 with stock vari and the same set-up (yes 1000 spring (Jasil 15%) and 8g weights).
I put a set of 8.5g weights in and while top speed held longer, takeoff suffered a bit. I may revisit that weight set of rollers if I get a set of 2000rpm fly springs.
When I first got the Jasil vari, I did have some issues with the install, in that the fan blades were catching on the inside of the case. I believe it to have been due to the boss length being 39mm instead of the stock's 38mm, though operator error could have been involved. (At the time, I didn't have replacement nuts for the shafts, so didn't test it very well).
I took mine to a cylinder shop here in town and they milled it down to the same length as the stock boss for no charge and some good conversation.
Steve at Moped Hospital had had no problem with the Jasil/Top Racing vari in an earlier model year Like 50, so just an fyi.
Also, regarding top speed, bear in mind that the exhaust I have is rated only a little better than stock and I weigh about 240 and am 6'6".

sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
Yeah I read your whole ordeal about the terrible sound you were hearing from the variator. I've read of using an extra rubber gasket to raise the CVT case a little for that extra mm. Maybe I could order an OEM part just in case. Cutting the boss is always an option, but I wouldn't mind having that extra mm (affects low speed acceleration slight, I think, since the vari can travel out a little further?)

Oh yeah, and I'm 6' 140 lbs. I was picking up some 2T oil today and walked into a conversation about weight and scooters. They were telling me that acceleration isn't really going to be a problem for me.

Oh and have you read this thread about the seat? http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6171.0
It's from the 200i thread but I assume the body is the same... mine also has the pointless defect. Should be easy to cut out with a Dremel. kriden also has a tutorial for connecting the dummy indicator lights on the front of the scoot, something I'll probably be doing as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:24:13 AM by Psuffix »

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »
It never hurts to have an extra case gasket. Even if you don't use it for this purpose, it is a good thing to have on hand in case something happens while dialling in the vari.
At 140, there will be no issue with acceleration and maintaining speed. Heck, I haven't seen 140 in maaaany moons.
I do keep up with the 200i thread. I am interested in making some changes in that seat. With the length of my legs, it makes sense to redo that hump.
I hadn't explored the indicator bits yet, though. Merci!
With the new boss being the same length as stock, there hasn't been an issue with low gearing. Had I gone any further, though, there might have been.
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
Have to ask... which of these is the one you ordered? I'm guessing the middle one for the People and Super 9

http://www.mhr-usa.com/index.php?target=mopeds&mode=mopeds_search&subcats=Y&cid=687&moped_brand_id=128&moped_model_id=

wassonii

• View Profile
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
One combination I hadn't yet tried with the Top Racing 15% spring in (1000) was with the 7.5g weight set. Yesterday I noticed a little bit of sluggishness in the mid-range with the 8s in. On a whim, this morning I put the 7.5s in and at present, I have a new favorite set. Definitely a little punchier in take-off and throughout throttle response and still maintains top speed of 45-46. I won't be able to test out 7g worth of weight (using a combo of 6.5 and 7.5 from the set that came with the vari) until next week at some point, but I may give it a go. I have the Malossi torsion controller on order and when I install that, I may find with the pre-load that I return to the 8s, though we shall see. Money is super tight right now, but I will eventually get the intake from RP and probably upgrade the carb, too. At some point before or after the carb, I will also look into the Naraku cdi to see if that has any effect.
Once the bug hits, it never ends...bliss
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Malossi Torsion Controller came in a few days ago, but this morning was the first opportunity I have had to install it. Don't have the funds just yet to get a different make stiffer spring, so put it in with the Hoca 1500 and revisited the 8.5g set of weights. So far, very nice. Truth will out after some regular day-riding and warmer than A.M. temps.
In the last few days, I had become disenchanted with the 1000 spring setup. Takeoff was suffering in the heat of the day and acceleration wasn't doing too well, either. I haven't ruled out that the 88 mj may be a tad too rich, but I'm not changing it out for the 85 without some fresh plugs on hand.
At any rate, that Malossi piece really does wonders for the feel of everything (or rather smoothness).
I do think I will need to get a set of 2000 fly springs and after a few days, I may revisit the 9g set of weights.
Once I went 1500, nothing else felt right, I reckon. I just needed some different bits to get it right (or at least back on the right track).
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »
It is an interesting battle getting the cvt right. It's too tempting to make several changes at once to save repeated labor. BUT if you do just One thing at a time, and bust your knuckles twice it does work out better. Slinger loves all the tinkering, and tweaking... I dread it. I usually aim for the lightest rollers that allow full rpm/top speed. first. It is easier for me to tell the Diff. by working my way heavier
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:54 AM »
I'd rather scrape some flesh and use copious amounts of loctite, too.
I'm in a quandary. There are 2 things I know I need to perk this scoot up (well, three, really, but the bbk is going to wait for a very long time. Years, really...)
A carb, which we have discussed, and an expansion chamber.
This Silent Sport has been alright, certainly better than stock, but it's time to move on.
Tecnigas Next R, Leo Vince ZX R, and Stage 6 Pro Replica are all roughly in the price range I seek (with shipping costs factored in). If I didn't have to consider cost, jiang or Yasuni would be in the mix.
I'm kind of thinking I should lay out for a pipe now and then come into a carb later. What do you think, maestro?
If I get a carb now, it will be several months until a pipe and vice versa. I could go cheap on a carb to speed up the process, but I just can't settle for less than Dellorto knowing what I do now.
My thinking is that it might be better to get a pipe sooner, tune what I have to it and then when I can afford a new carb I will have some known perameters.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
The best part of getting a pipe first is a carb seems cheap later. Mikal on SI has had a series of cracks in his Stage 6. I'd avoid that one.  And yeah... I use Lok Tite on every bolt

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
Pipe is ordered. Speedaddictcycles has the best prices I have found on LeoVince pipes. Ordered directly from them, there is no charge for shipping on orders over 100$. Through Amazon (such as I did), shipping is just under 11$.
They have a shipment coming in from Italy in the next week or so, so I've got about 2 weeks to get some sh** together. VHT SP115 is en route. I know the pipe comes with springs and some rollers, but I am going to need to get some add'l rollers, I think. Gonna need some jets. I've got an 88 in the wee little keihin just now and a 92 on hand, but will get a few higher. I doubt I will need it, but I've got a 38 idle jet on hand, too.
This is the same model ZXR RP shows as being compatible for the Like, but it was listed as being for the Super 8/Agility 50 2t, which means there will be some adapting involved. I'm sure all but the bolt for the mudguard will line up, as that seems to be the case with anything listed for other Kymco 2t exhausts.
I'll prolly go ahead and order a Jasil 22% contra spring from RP so it'll hit in roughly the same timeframe.
I even have fresh nuts for my vari and clutch (and loctite at the ready).
Round 2 coming up...
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
Ha! I think we're getting our pipes from the same shipment! I'm guessing it's this one... if so, we've got some work to do buddy! I just ordered mine and they said it'd be a 5-7 day shipping delay for them to get shipped as well. We're getting the same batch... lol  ;D

http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/product/LV-5524R/Leo-Vince-Hand-Made-Exhaust-ZX-R-KYMCO-SUPER-8-50-09-11-AGILITY-50-R16-2-Stroke-10.html

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()