Author Topic: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed  (Read 15903 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
In and around the rain, I have gotten them installed and made an initial test run.
1500 torque spring is in and rear pulley has been cleaned, regreased, and cleaned again (but it is externally grease-free!).
1500 fly springs are in.
Top Racing/Jasil variator is in.
Everything works.
Just after install, rain was starting to fall, so I only had time for a quick start up and rode a few hundred feet back and forth before the bottom fell out.
In between the rains, I was able to check my nuts (I am ocd when it comes to checking them and making sure that they stay in place), make some marks for when I check them again, and ride for about a mile or so before the next wave of rain came in.
At present, I have 8.5g weights in (with the 1000 spring and stock vari I had run 7.7g and then 8g. For a brief turn I had run 9g, but those were way to heavy for only the 1000 spring) and will play with weights, but I am unsure whether I will try moving down to 8g or if moving up to 9 wouldn't be better. At any rate, takeoff is much improved with the new flys and acceleration is definitely smoother. I'll sit on this setup for at least a few days for the vari to start breaking in and the springs to do their thing. At present, the freshest belt I had on hand was a Gates Powerlink, but I will be throwing a stock in there after payday.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Sounds sweet. I can't wait to see how it does when you get to really run it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
You were absolutely right about the difference a 1500 spring would make. Being the tactile learner I am, I do know now, though, that 1000 just ain't enough. I'll get some pics the next time I open her up. The only camera we have is my wife's and she'd be a little peeved at grease and belt dust on all of the buttons:) As always, thanks for the advice!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
 ;D ;D :-*
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »
..the 1500 is the key to tuning your cvt...

..oh yeah!!..welcome to a whole new world!!!

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
I'm jelly wassonii! My scoot shop tried to tell me that a "1500 is unnecessary strain on the drive belt" but I'm still following zombie's advice... he knows what's up. Got a new spring and weights on the way, finally got upjetted to an 85 and there's an 82 in the mail to see if that'd be better (seems like I'm a little boggy at the time). I was right that the shop didn't upjet it, even though I'd asked them to, which means that pinging I've been hearing was it running lean  >:(

Got the idle screw adjusted correctly, too. Don't trust anyone with my scoot except myself and zombie and the others on this forum, I've learned. Enjoy your practically new ride wass! Glad to hear you're getting close to perfect.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:03:10 AM by Psuffix »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
It's all good Bro! Thanx for the props.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
Always listen to the voice(s) of experience.

Word, it definitely is.

Psuffix, though you may be a little lean, Kymco ships with a 78 in the carb and with the oem exhaust, you aren't (or at least shouldn't be) doing any permanent damage. Apparently at some point in their existence prior to 2011, they would send as a part of their derestrict kit with the smooth boss an 85 jet. When they changed it to 82 my dealer asked them why and their reply was that in their testing they couldn't really tell a difference.

Now, I am going to admit some  stupidity here: in my haste to get started on the fine tuning of my cvt (and because I am a cheap bastard), I ordered a set of minarelli fly springs. Partsforscooters was waiting on their shipment with the qmb springs and I didn't want to wait, nor did I want to pay somebody else's price plus shipping. They are currently installed, but will get swapped out tomorrow when the new set arrives from pfs. I write this, psuffix, so you don't make a similar mistake. (Fortunately, I'm only out 10bucks and a little bit of around town use won't kill my clutch or pop the springs). Make sure to order correct parts the first time.
And for the record, my dealer/mechanic basically said the same thing about a torque spring when I started inquiring. I don't know if it's that they haven't tried such a thing, or if they don't want the hassle of helping tune. In my case, I kind of lean toward it being the latter, especially because it's a little shop attached to a dealership whose new scoot business has been almost outgrowing the size of the work area. They have been taking delivery of quite a few new crated scoots this year and it was only around January that they hired a second mechanic.

All that being said, psuffix, if you haven't already gotten some, get a bottle of Seafoam (walmart or your local auto parts store) and add an ounce per gallon of fuel when you fill up. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold as far as keeping the fuel system clean. I don't remember if in your post you had already gotten some, but figured it wouldn't hurt to put the info out here.

sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »
"In my case, I kind of lean toward it being the latter, especially because it's a little shop attached to a dealership whose new scoot business has been almost outgrowing the size of the work area. They have been taking delivery of quite a few new crated scoots this year and it was only around January that they hired a second mechanic."

Are you referring to "All About Scooters"? Tallihasse?

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
No sirrah. Down here in Vero, there be but one.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
Hey Wass... Have you considered coming up to Carrabelle for the Labor day bit? Even a day or so would be great! None of us have ever met on the street so it should prove to be one hell of a time! If you have the chance to pop up it sure would be nice. Like I said... Lodging is a non issue up here if you decide to hang out a bit. Wives/GF's/freinds/kids/pets, all welcome.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
I would love to come and chill, but my wife is due around then (actual due date is 12 september, but doc said he may be about 9 days off (earlier delivery).
It does sound, though, like Carabelle is my kind of spot and y'all would damn sure be a good group to chill with.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
Well great luck for you, and yours... Kids do come first.
Our insurance company paid for 4 days stay at the hospital when my daughter was born. After 24 hrs. I brought home my baby girl, and left my wife at the hospital. I know ...F'n no wonder He's single... After stopping at the hospital in the AM for her "feeding" I packed her up, and we went to opening day Trout fishing. Stopped by the hospital for another feeding, and convinced my wife to check out. She always said I loved my daughter better than her. She was right.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
Opening day fishing is awesome (and a damn rite of passage)! Good on you for bringing that baby into the world right!
I think our insurance gives us 24 hours total. But yes, kids do come first.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »
Ours was 24hrs for the baby, and 4 days for the mom. Go figure they let a baby go but they "prefer" the mom to stay. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()