Author Topic: Like 200i Seat  (Read 7228 times)

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
Like 200i Seat
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:39 AM »
Hello all.  Hope everyone is well and having a safe riding season so far.  Just wanted to let the group know of an experience I had with my Like 200i seat.  I have owned many scoots over the years but the Like is really as close to "perfect" as one could hope for.  Fuel injection, nice size motor, disc brakes, tire size...trunk...price...etc etc, you all know this.  But the one thing that bothered me was the seat.  The design (as many of you know) "places" the operator a bit close to the handlebars.  So for this 6 footer, I always tended to slide back a bit.  This would then have me over the thin part of the cushion and after 30 minutes...ouch!  So in the off season, I removed the seat and had it fully re-upholstered  adding more foam and also taking out the stock shape of the seat.  So now it looks a bit more of a "Vespa" whereas it is all one thicker seat.  Just came on off a second test run and man, what a difference! I can sit anywhere on the seat and feel no "impressions" of the seat pan or the other ends of the round rubber supports that rest against the scooter when the seat is down.  I also had the vinyl replaced, so this was nothing cheap, but since there was really no other mods to do etc, this was the best $200 I have ever spent on a scooter "mod".
So if anyone is also having this issue, don't be afraid to check out a local upholster shop.  Check to make sure they have a good rep and ask around.  I found mine by asking at the place I bought my Like from.  Be safe!  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:49:52 PM by kriden »

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Re: Like 200i Seat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
Looks great! A seat mod may be a good idea for me, too. Never considered it, just accepted the forward seating position of my Yager. Thanks for opening my eyes. :)
Enjoy the comfort and the riding!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:19 PM »
ANY auto upholstery shop can re work your seat into what you want. For simple padding changes under an hour is the norm.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Jpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »
Looks great!  I find myself shifting alot in my seat trying to prevent my legs from going numb because I have to sit so far back, pretty much right on the "camels hump". Let's face it...this isn't a favorable 2-up setup so I'd be comfortable with claiming the center of the seat for my ass.

captainscott

• you meet the best people on a 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
I thought it was just me at 5'11'' tall I sit in about the middle of the seat. I did 85 miles one day last month running in and when I got home I was unable to sit down! Will get my seat sorted this winter.
Thanks.

captainscott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
Thats great, thanks a lot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »
I love cutting holes in things. Very cool of you to post it up!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:18:50 AM »
I love cutting holes in things.

yours?

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
Thanks Kriden. Most helpful. I assumed the ass protrusion went across the whole seat, but after viewing your photos and poking around, you are correct, it's only on that one piece. I'll be removing it this weekend too. Did you remove the seat foam before cutting or just go in through the bottom and be careful not to dremel too deep?

captainscott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
Keep it comming mate. Thanks.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
yours?

No man... My holes are symmetrical. That random sh** would drive me insane!

scooterchu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:37:19 AM »
good job! it completely changes the look of the scooter! must get mine done asap!

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
Kriden, thinking about busting out the dremel and removing the ass protrusion in the seat. Any ill-effects yet since removing the patch of plastic from yours?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Haven't even purchased my Like200i yet, but just putting my 6'3" body on the scooter at the dealer showed me that I'd probably be riding back on that hump in the seat.  Crap, that doesn't feel good - esp, when compared to the nice Metropolitan and Vino seats sitting nearby. Well, I surely will be thinking about a seat modification and better tires (the only issues I've come across on this forum). Good stuff here....!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:48:40 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:34:45 AM »
Welcome OldSchooter!

Seats are easy to modify... no need for mechanical skill, just some imagination... ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()