Author Topic: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed  (Read 15898 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »
You know that insurance man is gonna get his change come hell or high water ::)

As to vari life...
While I wait for the correct set of clutch springs, I was feeling a little froggy and put in the set of 7.5g weights. The 8.5 was just a touch too heavy. Not quite the boggy feeling of the 9g I tried with the 1000rpm spring, but still not getting into the powerband as quickly as should have been the case.
I would like to take a moment to note that the Gates belt, now for the second time, has limited top speed to 40. I didn't measure when I first got it, but feel after some practicum on the scoot (and reading other's tales of its' use) that it is likely about 1-2mm shorter than a Kymco belt. But, back to the weights....
The 7.5 set def gets into the powerband better and quicker but my jury is out as to if they are more effective than a set of 8g (which will be the next set I try).
Bear in mind that my pipe is the Tecnigas Silent Sport and is not a true chamber. When I eventually get some change together (after a new carb, the reality of weekly diaper expense, etc, etc...) I will go to a chamber, I feel, but then I will get the pleasure of roller trials all over again:) In reality, though, the vari has only been in use for about a hundred or so kilometers, which will affect the overall once it is 'broken in'.
I should get the set of springs Monday and will install them either then or Tuesday morning. I want to give the 7.5 set a chance to show me what everyday use is going to be like before putting in the 8's. That way I shall have a benchmark and can chose which will be best overall. (Hell, I may see what the 7.7g set is like, too, just to see. Each is going to show different characteristics...but you knew that).
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
Now, here's a question:
I know the Kymco is the preferred belt, but I'm looking at the Malossi line (since they give good measurements http://www.malossi.com/news/newsDoc/PDF_PRODOTTI/DIM%20CINGHIE_001.pdf ) and I'm wondering...
The universally recommended Malossi belt for this 2t engine type of Kymco 50cc is # 6111153 with specifications of 18mm wide, 9mm thick, 738mm external measurement,  and 28 degree angle, and is only available in kevlar.
Here is why I ask:
At present, after a few test runs, the Kymco belt is easily sitting about a half an inch or better below the rim of the clutch. What kind of evil would I invoke if I tried Malossi belt # 6112735 with specifications of 18mm wide, 8mm thick, 755mm external measurement, and 32 degree angle? The differences being  same width, 1mm thinner (not so heinous), 17mm longer (about 2/3 inch longer), and different angle. The length I think would be alright (I know I need to measure in the clutch and do the sharpie on the vari trick to see how much more travel could be incurred), but what happens with the angle difference?
For the record, this is the non-kevlar version of this belt (tho a kevlar version exists) and while Racing Planet has it for sale, it is specified for a variety of Peugot scoots.

Of note, the Malossi belt specified at Racing Planet (and elsewhere) for several of the Kymco 50cc 4t models is belt # 6113501 with length of 743mm and angle of 30 degrees (width and thickness being the same as # 6111153; also only available in kevlar).
Just curious...
sans scooter, rien

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
..grab a belt, throw it in...

..if it works, keep it..if not then grab another..throw it in...if it works keep it..if not then grab another..if it works, keep it..if not then grag another..throw it in..if it works keep it...if not then grab another..if it works keep it..if not then grab another....

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »
 743mm ... The only issue is the angle. That angle is put on the belt to get it to squeeze tighter on the cover of the belt. That is where all the strength is. The issue is Kevlar will grove the aluminum, and tear pits out of the steel. I would save the Malossi 30* for the track, and find a different angle for the street.
You do need a longer belt but that one is fire IMHO.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »
743mm ... The only issue is the angle. That

.check out my latest HiT posts....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »
and find a different angle for the street.

..thats it!!!

..what you wanna run??

..top end fast or take-off...

..there's a balance, but wow...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 03:13:48 AM »
..if you got the money honey, we got your disease...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
age old question and right up there with the oldest profession. Angle question answered. Groovy is good. Grooves, not so much. Been watching the HiT progression. Great pic tutorial, but the caveat is emptor'ed. Those cracks in the Naraku are crazy-lookin.
Off to do more research...
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
With a stock belt installed, the best performance thus far (and what will become the benchmark in my tuning to the 1500 spring) has been with the Jasil 15% spring and 8 gram rollers. Good throttle response throughout and about 45mph sustained top speed. (The speedo actually went a little higher, but mine is about 1-2 mph pff once I get above 35).
Prior to this discovery and with the 1500 contra in, the set of 7.5g weights were too light, though it wasn't too heinous. At present, I am testing out the 8g weights with the 1500 spring with (so far) good throttle response and a top speed of 43-44mph (speedo at 45). Tomorrow I will revisit the 8.5g weights.
I did get the proper clutch springs installed - I don't have to tell you folks what a difference a proper set of clutch springs will make. (The Minarelli springs will "fit", but the clutch reaction was about the same as having the stock springs in and damn they were a bitch to get out - of course I am now considering a set of 2000 rpm clutch springs, but who didn't see that coming ;))
Further Back and Faster
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 04:37:05 AM »
So exactly what was wrong with the springs you got? Wrong stiffness or just wrong part?

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »
They were for a minarelli stock clutch.  Slightly different shape to the hooks and size of the coils. I pitched them, else I'd take a pic. Too, the coils for the minarelli springs are slightly larger than those for the kymco.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
I got a wild hair and tried the set of 9g rollers. Glad I didn't waste my time on the 8.5 set. Preliminary results are very similar to the 1000 spring with the 8g set. Takeoff is a little sluggish compared to that setup (should be able to be rectified with a set of 2000rpm fly springs), but overall throttle response, sound, and feel is quite good, with sustained top speed similar to the 1000/8s. I'll get out and about tomorrow to really take her for a spin. I wish I had a set of 9.5s to try. I may get some 10s from PFS (they don't do sets in .5 increments) just to see what happens. I did order a Malossi Torsion Controller, but don't know which spring I'll try it out on, since it will cause the torque spring to act a little stiffer.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49:01 AM »
You are getting into a high maintence zone with those heavy rollers. I was going thru alot of parts running a red/9.5s
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Agreed. I can tell a sound difference with the 9's (there's a throatier sound anyway with the stiffer spring, but the 9s has a different tone with use. After having ridden it around town, it's characteristics started to change. I went back to the 1000 spring with 8s in, since I won't have testing time (or weather) for another week or so. MPG has suffered a little in these trials, too, though that was to be expected.
After this crazy work-week and tomorrow's potential weather, I will get another chance for testing. I think, though, that I would rather do my testing with a Jasil 22% spring. Nothing against Hoca, but I think Jasil makes better parts for the long haul. For instance, the Jasil spring has its' paint with some rub marks after a few weeks of use and being installed/removed a few times. The Hoca has its' paint scraped away in places after only a week.  I know the paint is a minor point, but it makes more sense to stay within a manufacturer's offerings when doing testing, especially if there is a known good result against which to compare. I'll probably get a set of stiffer Jasil fly's as well.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:19 AM »
I'm new to Jasil myself but am very happy with my Vars, and rollers from them. The rollers are top quality. Equal to Malossi.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()