Author Topic: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!  (Read 11103 times)

Syl

• View Profile
My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »
Anxious to get out for the first time, 45 degrees still spotty snow areas on the ground and very windy. Put on my Shift (backdraft) jacket with liner in and placed my silver helmet on my head, Shift gloves on and opened the garage door nervously! Thought to myself people are going to think, that guys crazy scooting in this weather. Figured the heck with people I hit the starter and slowly powered out of the garage. First thing I noted, good thing I had left hand on the brake this thing jumps! Just barely throttling the power is immediately noticed. Down the alley I went sort of like not gasing a vehicle enough with the clutch out.....jumping! First thing I noted was as being 6'1", it was a bit cramped at the legs and seat but the arms were extended in a comfortable position. My pant legs rode up a bit being the seating tendedd to give me so called rattle snake under wear! Stayed off the faster roads and drove around the neighborhood and town. Had a hard time getting used to the jump at first throttle from a stop...still have to get used to that. Nothing got cold other than my cheeks so it was not a bad day after all to ride around. I noted that the rear disk brake didn't appear to be as affective as the drum was on the S200 I had. Have to check if about a 1/4 inch turn on the throttle is normal before the unit is throttled up. Put on 13 miles and really enjoyed the ride. Back to the garage, I had a heck of a time getting it back in. Have to put it in perpendicular to the garage being not much room. Couldn't believe how heavy this thing is trying to get that back end in! It is definetly 400 lbs or so! Had many stares everywhere but I believe it was just due to all the Silver, scooter, helmet, jacket etc. By the way, the sun was out and making everything even brighter.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
Re: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:08 PM »
Couldn't wait, huh? Glad you enjoyed it. Did you trade in the S200? What did they offer?

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:59 PM »
Thanks Agent Bob, yes, I traded in the S200. The S200 was a 2009 purchased in 2010 (new) at somewhat a reduced price. Received 2500 for it and had the 300 (new) reduced somewhat also. One never get's a deal worth really bragging about. It all boils down to how bad you want to upgrade and I needed to being the S200 was just not powerfull enough for me. You know the S200 is nowhere near 200cc......about 160 some only. Did I like the S200, yes, very much so, hated to let it go. Do I like this 300, very much so with just a few querks I don't like. I repeat myself Bob, sorry but, I am too big for the S200 the way I really wanted to use it. I am not a fan of traveling much over 55 on these units but I merely want to be comfortable doing at least that speed which I didn't feature doing with the S200. I find Kymco thus far to be a very neat, strong and exciting manufacturer. I have yet to do more riding with this new one and am certainly looking forward to it. One issue with the 300 so far is, I don't believe it to be a very comfortable (sitting position) ride for a long distance. The S200 was more comfortable really other than the total upright sitting position. I express my thanks to this Forum and the ability to express and receive written conversation from many friendly people. One thing I want to post question to on the Forum is, what do most people do if they break down or have a flat tire a considerable distance from home? Would like to hear opinions on this is possible. Again, thanks Bob.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
If you have road problems, the easiest answer is to have roadside insurance.
Check on prices and you will find that they are not too high.
Progressive (I hear) has about the cheapest roadside assistane if you have your scooter insurance with them.
Kawasaki has their ROK program for about $50 per year and they don't care what your bike is.
We have a policy thru AARP that covers all of our vehicles (2 motorcycle, 1 scooter and 2 vans)  for about $80 per year.

Otherwise, you are dependent upon a friend or family member to take off work and come get you...
assuming that they have a trailer and that they like you.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Thanks MaryK I have some things to think about now. I have a Colorado truck (short bed) but getting the 300 upon it would be quite a challenge. Sounds like you have a great deal through AARP. So what company than are you with through AARP? I would be able to haul it on this truck but even with ramps, you would need several people helping get it up. Would be advantagous to have a wench at the head of the truck bed. Going to toss some of this around and possibility get some other thought's here on the Forum. Wonder if anyone else with a 300 has just a bit (1/4) inch or less of play in turning the throttle? In other words, start turning throttle and at first there is this bit of nothing at first.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »
Wonder if anyone else with a 300 has just a bit (1/4) inch or less of play in turning the throttle? In other words, start turning throttle and at first there is this bit of nothing at first.

The throttle cable can be adjusted if there's too much slack. You have the shop manual, right?  It'll show you how -- very easy to do.

But I'm puzzled... I thought it was too responsive (jumping)...?  Or maybe it's that your clutch seems to be "grabby"?  That may well go away as you break it in, if the latter is the case.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »
I would expect the brakes to work better after they're broke in too. 

Is the backrest or rump bumper adjustable like on the Xcitings?  I move mine all the way back for more leg room.  You could get some custom seat work done, I suppose. 

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
Jprestonian, yes it is jumping and maybe I should explain differently. If the throttle is turned very slightly, there is nothing, again, turning it about 1/4 inch. When it is off this free play, and throttled just a bit, (it jumps). I mean just barely giving it throttle. Explaining in another way, trying to throttle just a bit even (it jumps).
Gonna look at the seat work possibility.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
As advised, I looked at the manual and see that there is supposed to be 2-6mm play in the throttle. Being new, I guess I should take it to the dealer for that adjustment. This is what I mean about this Forum, there is always someone to reply to one's need's or question's. This is a good feeling knowing there are still good people around...thanks

doublej

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
Your 1/4 inch travel in the throttle is within spec.  Leave it alone!

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
The AARP roadside assistance was from GE but last year it changed to Allstate.
Same service and same price.  They can furnish gasoline, air for tires and battery boosting.
If they have to transport the bike, then they use one of those flat-bed trucks, which can be rather LARGE!

Another choice is to join the Motorcycle Riders Foundation.  http://www.mrf.org/
They offer roadside assistance: http://www.mrf.org/roadside.php

If you do attempt to transport your scooter yourself,  you will need 4 tie-downs to hold the bike in place.
The ratchet tie-downs are much better for the job.
Then you have to figure out where to attach the tie-downs to your scooter's frame, without damage to the plastic and paint.
There are fabric straps that will help keep the metal tie-down hooks off the bike.

Getting the scooter into the bed of a pickup truck is not easy.
 Because of the scooter's small wheels and short ground clearance, even using a ramp can be difficult.
A lower-to-the-ground trailer equipped with a wide metal ramp is much easier to use.

Scoot Safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Syl - Mine came with, what I consider, excessive throttle play.  It was well within specs, but VERY annoying.  Here's how you adjust it:

Out of the throttle assembly on the right handlebar, you'll find 2 metal tubes, bent 90 degrees coming out of the bottom.  One of them has a loose vinyl/rubber cover over the adjustment nut. 

Loosen the jamb nut, then loosen the adjustment nut until you are happy.  Be sure to leave a LITTLE free play - You may even want to start the scoot on the center stand immediately after adjusting.  If you loosen the bolt too much, it will be like applying the throttle ALL THE TIME.  Very unpleasant surprise.

As for the jumping, were you wearing big thick gloves?  Much like my crotch rocket - with the added HP comes throttle sensitivity.  Gotta use soft hands.  The power comes on early and quite strong.  Easy does it, twist slooooooowly at first.

I don't find the seat uncomfortable, but it has gotten MORE comfortable in the past few hundred miles.  Like any bike, there is a period where you negotiate the best riding position with the machine.  A few miles under it will definitely help.  Give it (and you ;D ) some time to break in.

In case of a flat, a plug kit and CO2 charged inflator makes for quick repairs.  Roadside service is a solid Plan B.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
My super 8 jumped a bit when I first got it, It used to really scare me.  Guess the clutch had to break in because its very smooth now.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
Worst case is you have to call a towing service.  It's not a bad idea to always have your own tie-down straps with you for this.  And experiment in advance on where to anchor them on the scooter.  On my 500 I found they will go around the handlbars near the control housings or even around the grips.  Rear, they'll go on the grab bar. 

I used to transport my own bikes once in a while.  Getting the tie downs good and TIGHT is a must.  Putting lots of compression on the front and rear suspension.  Also lock the brakes if you can, by tieing something around the brake levers.  Front wheel should be firm up against the front of the truck bed or trailer bed. 

Then, while you're driving, look back at the bike frequently to see if anything is loosening up and the front end is still pointing directly forward. 

If I had to call a towing service, I think I'd ask that they come with a vehicle other than the tow truck such as a pick-up or low trailer.  Call different ones till you find one that can do that. Nationwide 411 will give you numbers to call if you're not near a phone book. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:51:31 PM by Hoolander2 »

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
Syl, I'd like to remind you that your riding impressions (the unfavorable ones) were based on one short ride on a cold day. I'd suggest forgetting what you perceived as bad, and go put a few hundred miles on it in warmer weather. On first rides you're highly attuned to EVERYTHING.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()