Author Topic: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!  (Read 11101 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Re: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
  I pulled the trigger on a top box - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250410887743&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT,  CHEAP!

You may want to take a look out there - I found several silver and 10000000 cheap black top boxen.

These are a lil bigger and may suit you:  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260738329409&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150490985600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160472315430&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230447990216&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Once again, I have no vested business interest in any of these sellers or EBay - Other than buying cheap topboxen ;D

As for your clutch, I checked the Kymco Service manual - No mention of what you are hearing.  I do have some questions for you, that you may be able to determine at an empty parking lot.

When does the noise start?  (RPM)
  When does the clutch start grabbing? (RPM)
  When does the clutch fully engage? (RPM)
  Does the noise persist as the clutch engages?
  Is there any noise like that at idle?
  Does it make the same sound when you have it on the centerstand and the rear wheel can spin freely?

I'm thinking the most likely cause is a burr or something on the clutch bell - Prolly get smoothed out in time.  HOWEVER, if you don't mind the ride, swing by the dealer and demo the issue to the mech.  If it is a faulty clutch spring (also possible), they can replace under warranty.

If you are handy with the tools, you can always pull the tranny cover off and poke around yourself.  It is a pretty standard CVT.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:08:36 PM by Whisper »

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »
Thanks for hanging in there with me Whisper, I appreciate it. I hope I am thinking and explaining correctly but first off I am going to do your suggestion (To The Dealer). I have to state here though so I don't come out as dumb in this issue that I really don't know what this engine and clutch are to sound like. To your question's, Just at normal Idle, I do not have this sensation of a hammer drill sound and feeling. It is not smooth. In throttling a bit, not moving,  is when the sort of knocking starts always the same. In throttling more to move out the same sensation merely speeds up and again, is not smooth sounding or feeling. I only have about 60 miles on the unit now and as you state, maybe a bit more break in time. In letting you know how much I enjoy the rides though, I went out today just for about 5 miles and back. Why, well, temperature out 37 degrees F, no wind and the only part that was very cold was the face! Yesterday the wind was very bad as I previously described. Thanks for the "Box" sites, I will check them out. As people suggested on here, I purchased the Front Wheeel V Stop for my trailer and four rachet type tie down's. Also I purchased the Canyon Dancer, New Bar-Harness II. Finally a reply from the Ohio oufit, they are waiting a reply from Shad.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:41 AM »
  No worries, Syl!  To be honest, that clutch and the transmission should be SILENT.  Any other sorts of sounds that come from it are all suspect.  It should also be very smooth to engage, as long as you aren't grabbing a handful of throttle. \ Given that you only have 60 miles on the beastie, getting it sorted out at the dealer - Even if it is JUST IN CASE is the best idea.

I have a quick tip here - Even though it is warranty covered service work, I normally show up to the service department with doughnuts or beer (depending on the arrival time).  Especially at smaller scooter shops, the mech(s) in the back are horribly under-appreciated.  A little good will goes a long way with them.  Then they normally let me watch and I get to ask 100000000 stupid questions.  ;D

Really, just to get acquainted with your CVT, it is so worth it. 

I'm guessing, from your description, that one of the clutch shoes may be extending early.  Centrifugal clutches are a tricky thing and it is easy to botch getting it on intact.  Same with the variator.  It could be that one of your rollers is a bit off and your variator isn't closing all the way properly.  It pretty much HAS to be either one of those.  While neither of those problems will keep the scoot from working, getting it looked at early may save you headaches down the road.  And maybe it is just a break-in thing.  I know I'd feel better knowing for sure.

37F!?!  You are a bad*ss!  My cold riding limit is 45F - No exceptions!  Ha!  At 45-55, if I am doing any highway, I usually use a full face helmet with a balaclava (ski mask looking thing) underneath - Keeps my face from freezing. 

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Some CVT's make a noise like ball bearings in a coffee can being shaken.  I am not sure for the D300 though.  When I did my test ride, I thought it was much quieter than my P250 with 34,000 km on it. I would suggest you work with your dealer in determining if this is a normal noise or not.

I am not sure if you know or not but the variator has 8 rollers that roll/slide out when the revs increase and they can "hunt" (rattle back and forth looking for the right place) at certain speeds. I am basing my comments on my 6 slider/roller variator with roller and sliders both.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »
Back to a Box Information. I cannot come up with a mounting bracket for the SHAD 45 BOX to the 300. Information I did receive from GIVI is, Top Case Mounting Hardware is SR92, Silver Top Top Case V46G730. Black is shipped only if not emphasized on a order. Of course they say the Silver cost's more. My though though, one wouldn't want the sun beating down on a Black Lid! Prices vary all around and it appears to me GIVI is the best looking box other than the lock system. I further found that the GIVI has a quick Box release button built into the lock mechanism. Got me thinking again!! Also, backrest's are available for the GIVI BOX.
NOTE: Snowing since 2 PM here in Western PA and about 5 inchews of snow on the ground and still snowing. Anyone know where to get a set of chain's for the 300!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
To finish adding on to my last post, there is 9-10 inches of snow out right now at 5:30 AM. Few days ago, I thought we were done with this weather and I can get my much awaited scooter ride again! All the advise on the noise (I believe is) on my scooter is all taken in and will surely follow all soon as I can get it out of the garage again.....Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to possibly starting a scooter group eventually. Not going to call it a club being all sorts of bi-laws, rules, funds have to be set up. I would like it to be open to all scooter's. Just a thought so far and I have a name for it if it would get going!

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
Hey Syl, congrats on the new scoot, sounds sweet. I've got a Yager 200i and am already thinking of moving up to the 300. I had some slack in my accelerator cable, too much to take out at the handle bar. There is an adjustment under the seat on my Yager, I wouldn't be suprised if you have it also. I like to keep the adjustment at the throttle about midpoint.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
  If you'd like, Syl - PM me with your e-mail addy.  I can take a quick vid of  the clutch engagement on my D300 - Then you can compare it to yours!  Or I can throw it up on YouTube or something.  I think I may be doing the service this week, I'm racking up the miles quickly.  I may put together an oil changing vid.

Given the eBay top box I ordered, I'm guessing I may have some 'custom' work to do on the mount.  If I learn anything of value, I'll be sure to pass it along.  I'm currently pondering this dilemma:  We really only have reasonable access to 2 bolts on the luggage rack (The ones under those round covers).  I'm not sure 2 is enough for a secure fit.  A 3rd would help.  4 would be optimal.  I really don't want to drill through the current luggage rack, nor remove it to mount the box - The passenger handles are handy.  Gonna have to stare at it for a while.  Any ideas are more than welcome!

Sorry about the bad weather, Syl =P  However, you may be interested in this to pass the time until the roads thaw:

http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/ - Great blog!  It is from a guy who is a photographer and rides a Scoot in Pennsylvania. 

A scoot group is not a bad idea.  If I have my choice for socialization, scoot people and metric cruiser people tend to be the most fun with the least ego.  Hard to meet someone that isn't easy to like.  The harly crowd and hardcore sport bike folk seem to have a lot of attitude baggage to me.

That Yager is a good looking ride Capn!  How is the motor on that?  Is it FI?  There is a place to adjust the throttle takeup at the throttlebody, but it is a ($^%(*&#(* to get at without taking off the seat and removing the storage bin. 

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Yea it's Injected. I was out riding on Sunday and it felt great. I was afraid that my gas might have gone bad from sitting but it started right up and ran great.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()