Author Topic: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!  (Read 11104 times)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: My First Ride on the 300! wooooooo!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »
Something good to have in the "met-in" box: A Canyon Dancer. They don't take up much space.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
Worst case is you have to call a towing service.  It's not a bad idea to always have your own tie-down straps with you for this.  And experiment in advance on where to anchor them on the scooter.  On my 500 I found they will go around the handlbars near the control housings or even around the grips.  Rear, they'll go on the grab bar. 

I used to transport my own bikes once in a while.  Getting the tie downs good and TIGHT is a must. 

To that end - Check this out www.canyondancer.com.  I have the 1st edition, and especially on bikes with a full fairing, it will change your life.  It holds tight, always in the right place, and high up for better leverage, and keeps the straps off the paint.   It also is EASY to stow, so you can just pack it with you.  It is like 20-25USD - I've let friends borrow it as much as I have used it, and they all end up buying one afterwards.

I have no relation/interest in the company - This particular product is just THAT phenomenal at what it does.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
I do remember the D300 having a very fast acceleration when you twist the throttle.  I don't mind having a little play in the throttle.  I normally place my hand on the grip and then pull back until it "bites" on the cable and then move my palm of the glove the to correct spot on the grip.  What I mean is I do NOT hold my wrist in the bent position, I move my grip to place my palm in the neutral position on the grip with the slack gone. I do this also when I riding a period of time at a fixed speed, like on the freeway. I do this by holding the throttle in the correct place with my thumb and then move my palm and then release my thumb and move it to neutral. This means I can hold a steady speed simply by resting my hand on the throttle.  I can simply lift my hand if I need to stop and go to full idle.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Thank You Kymco Forum. To all adding suggestion's and advise it is greatly appreciated. I am a retired photo-journalist so I can speak about photography but I am not a good mechanic. Yes, I can follow direction's and again, it's great to have friends established on here. I am able to get hold of a utility trailer, 15" tires, wooden deck with the large dropping gate. So taking some ideas from here, I am going to get this thing ready for any future needs. I agree, maybe drawing to many con's in the cold weather may be worth placing some miles on before final decision's. I am located 25 miles N.E. of Pittsburgh and possibly one day may be able to meet some of the people on here that may live close. This darn weather here, this AM it was 51 degrees, 35 degress now 6 PM and going to 15-18 with bad wind chill.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:07:54 PM »
Hoolaner2, No adjustment on the seat whatsoever. Logically can't even see how the seat can be redone or changed in any way. The under support under the upholstery is contoured to the seats form. Maybe as stated, I may get used to this miles down the road, thanks.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
  Syl - If you are using a trailer - Consider one of these beasties:

http://www.rampconnection.com/page10.shtml

You can predrill the holes in the trailer's floor, and use bolts with wingnuts for easy install and removal as needed!  For 25USD, it makes the whole thing soooooo much more secure and easy!  Add a couple eye bolts on the sides for tie down anchors and you are set.

As for the seat, definitely get some saddle time.  It will break in a bit.  Also, as you go on long rides, you'll find TONS of leg placement options.  You'll be surprised at the difference in comfort finding the right place to put your feet makes.  Like I said, you and the scoot have to grow together.

before you modify the seat, you may want to consider a motorcycle gel pad.  They are ridiculously comfy (So are the memory foam ones) and don't look bad at all.  Fairly cheap & Easy install.  PLUS, the difference of a few inches of padding in the saddle makes a HUGE difference in ergonomics.

There are always options ;D

BTW - You have to post some of your works with the camera sometime! 

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Whisper, many thanks for the ideas and site. I was just thinking about how I am going to freeze that front wheel on the trailer. I was going to attempt to build one but going through the site you sent will be the way to go. There are many to select from and eventually I will go for one. I am waiting for my V46 Box to come in being it will be where I place my camera gear for my never ending hobby. Yes, I will shoot some pix's as I get things together here. By the way Whisper, last year there was a biker ride for homeless vet's and I went to it on my little red scooter knowing I couldn't make the trip they were going on. There had to be 300 bikers and many scooters in the groups they were broken into. I believe I will be able to motor with them this year. It's a pretty big event. I merely followed them to a couple close area's and shot pi's of it all. They end up at the Natrona Heights, VFW in PA here where they have a nice banquet awaiting them. Would you believe I had that little red scooter parked on the end, and it stood out!! Tomorrow 54 degrees and Thursday 58..maybe some good weather.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
  I'm looking forward to seeing that 46 on your Downtown!  Stuff that with foam, and your photo kit should be safe and sound!

I've been looking around, and I think I have my heart set on the SHAD-37.  I like that the Shad cases come with a mounting plate, And I'd really like the backrest for the wife.  As soon as I pick one up, I'll probably be modding it for a brake light with those strip LEDs. 

Last year we rode with the Shriner's - They had a huge rally for their Children's Hospital.  I've never been on a ride so big.  Of course, my crotch rocket stuck out like a sore thumb too ;D  - I know the feeling.  That D300 of yours will easily keep up on a Harley ride.  FUN FACT:  A Harley Sportster 883 puts out a little over 50hp.  And weighs about 100+ lbs more.   

This weekend I'll post the world's easiest mod for that horrendous balck thing in back!  5 minutes and IMHO it REALLY improves the look from the back.

I'm hoping as hard as I can for some warm weather for you, Syl!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Whisper, My order, GIVI V46 Box arrived yesterday and I am very disappointed. first off it is great looking Box and the size can hold two full helmet's. But, they sent the wrong color, I ordered one with a silver top this one is Black. Next, as good looking as this Box is it has a very cheezy lock that doesn't work at that. I have to return it to the dealer today and it looks like a long wait for the right one or I may just get a refund and go for the SHAD. top of my disapointment, The front of the brochure that came with it has the year 2009. Manual & information is much to be desired also. Forget it, I am actually upset. I am embarassed to state the price here being that shocked the heck out of me. This Box came from GIVI USA INC., Charlotte, N.C. Yes and the mounting plate came with the order but with additional cost. Doesn't look like much could go wrong with that but the price will kill you. I merely stated things as they are here and stand as one dissappointed customer of GIVI.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
  I've seen the prices for Givi - I would have expected a LOT more for the price tag!!!  The lock makes it sound like something you'd pay $30 dollars for on Ebay or Amazon!

If it isn't 100% what you expected, DEFINITELY send it back.  That is so disappointing due to the wait for it.  =P   

It is also kinda galling that they charge for the mounting plate - It is just a piece of plastic with holes, right?  I usually just go to ACE hardware (My PPG buddies say it stands for: Aircraft Components and Equipment - LOL!) and get the bolts, spacers, bar stock, etc.  I think Shad includes a universal mount.  If not, it is off to ACE!  ;D

I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a cheapie from Amazon.  They have some nice ones for cheap.  And some shockingly ugly ones too.  Ha!

One of the best topcases I have ever owned was an abandoned milk crate I found on the side of the road - It strapped right to the Vespa.  Held a ton of stuff - It didn't do much to deter theft tho...

I think you have steered me away from Givi tho.  I hear their windshields are good.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
Correction on one point Whisper, the mounting gear...very solid (steel) not shaby at all. Such a shame about the lock mechanisn...again, very shaby. By the way, that mounting plate runs 160.00 would you believe! I am enquiring about the new Shad SH46 and right now Kymco doesn't have anything on them as of yet. The only thing they have in old stock is SH45's. One thing I failed to check on during this investigating is whether the seat will still open with any of these boxes attached. Had taken the 300 to work today and had taken a round about on a 45 mph speed limit. What a difference from the S200. Solid, controllable, great power, mirrors view are good past my wide shoulders and people at work had very good remarks about it! Anyway, about the box, I am back to square one! waiting for a price to come from the UK on several boxes which they supposedly stock. Finally got the scooter into the garage without having to manuever it sideways! The weather here in Western PA got up to 64 degrees F. today. Eventually will work on some photo's but meanwhile will look at how to connect them on here. The V46 is sent back already refunding my card! Once again, the paper work on that box surely not good.....actually terrible...and for that much money. By the way, that shabby lock mechanism..mostly all plastic.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »
I have a price and information request to this site in Ohio. Appears to be an interesting dealer from going over their web as follows.
http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Shad_SH_46_Large_Capacity_Topcase_p/shad-46.htm
I am hoping I can get into the SHAD SH46 for my Downtown 300.
I had a SHAD 40 on my S200 and didn't have any problems with it or the lock mechanism.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
  64F!  That is Summertime in PA!  And DEFINITELY riding weather!  Woooohooo!

That Shad 46 is an incredible amount of storage!!!  I've read up on it last night, and it is hard to find an unkind word.  I would assume the mounting plate gives you several options - I'd eat my hat if any topbox interfered with the seat.  I also think you sold me on the SHAD - I may go with the SH 37.  I still have to obsess and wring my hands over that.

The 46 is a great candidate for popping off the reflectors and putting led strip lights behind them.  Just like this guy http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic71919.  Those strip LEDs seem pretty sweet.  They are stupid cheap, and you can cut them to size(!).  An extra brake light NEVER hurts, IMHO.

Is the clutch smoothing out for you yet?  BTW - I filled up my scoot yesterday - 73mpg!!!  I love that 300cc engine.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
Whisper, ran it today after work & the temperature was great but the wind was notorious. I didn't receive a reply from Ohio as yet, thought I would get that today.
Haven't gone 70 miles yet but possibly tomorrow if we get some break again. Not quite used to the jump yet but am working on it! I would like to run a question by you and please don't think I am looking for problems or such! Anyway, when you first throttle up from a stop it sounds (the motor I guess) like a hammer drill. It's not anywhere a smooth sounding start. I think I explained that close! When I was on the 45 mph highway today it was very very windy and I had no problem with control. Yes it took me off straight a bit but no problem correcting right away. It actually was pulling my helmet up a little! That E-Mail to Ohio site (Premier Cycle) I gave you, I am waiting for a reply as to if there is a mounting bracket for the SH46 to the Downtown 300. With a back rest included, the cost would be around 270.00. Dan, from that shop said he'd get back to me today...but again, he didn't. I hate people like this so I may be looking again. Going to that look at the strip Led's site you sent.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
I never got back a reply to my information request from Premier Cycle Accessories in Ohio. I E-Mailed them again stating that I'm glad I didn't order anything from this place. Even after three E-Mail's to them no promised response. Forget that place Whisper. Gonna start looking again.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()