Author Topic: Downtown 300i First Ride  (Read 21381 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Downtown 300i First Ride
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Just a few thoughts on the lil beastie on the ride home yesterday (I'll add pics this weekend)

The conditions for the ride had given me pause, as the wind was 20 gusting over 35 - It was blowing the cage all over the road on the way to the dealership.  But while discretion is the better part of valor, eschewing discretion is certainly the bestest part (>.0 ).

Plenty of room under that seat!  Looks like there is not as much as there is.  Until it swallowed my entire full face (Vega Altrua) - I did have to face it backwards to get it to fit well.  That left me with another helmet-sized cavern to fill in front of it.  Given that my former bike (crotch rocket) had enough room to stow a small wallet at best, this is a welcome change.

Getting off the center stand was a breeze, I'm 5/7 ~160 (Not the biggest lad, but it took no significant effort.  I was able to almost totally flatfoot at rest on both sides, and duckwalking the scoot backwards was no problem - In fact the body seems to be designed to aid in this (Feels thinner somehow the midpoint).

Throttle is responsive and strong, but the clutch engagement is just plain smooth.  Nicely balanced.  The engine is definitely a thumper.  It is not the sewing machine that the crotch rocket is, but smoother than my Vespa 150LX.  Standing still, you can vaguely feel the engine, at speed, it is just hums along.

For a single disk on each wheel, the brakes are MORE than enough.  I can't see any benefit a dual disc would bring.  The odd part is - The front brakes are good.  The rear binders are INCREDIBLE.  I have never had rear brakes work so well.  You can DROP ANCHOR in a major way.  The braking is smooth and predictable - AND they have taken the time to add adjustable handles, AND plastic coated, braided steel brake lines (NOICE!).  I didn't notice this until I got home, but it is a nice touch.

Remember that wind?  I was fairly on-edge for the first 10 miles, pretty sure I'd be riding at a miserable list to compensate.  The wind was DEAD west, and I was heading south.  To my amazement, it was a total non-issue.  So was riding next to big rigs (which were weaving mightily).  I don't understand it, but it just plowed through the wind without much notice.

Handling was something I had to get used to - It rides like a big scooter (^.^ ).  At speed, very little bar pressure is required to initiate a turn.  After the lean, there is a slight hesitation as the suspension sets and the turn begins.  It handles like a Burgman 650, on a 200lb diet.  High speed turns revealed no bad habits - No wallowing, no drifting.  Pressure on bars, set suspension , roll on throttle - Smooth and predictable.  It did make driving quite easy.

Straight line was STABLE.  At highway speeds, I jolted the bars, looking for oscillation.  Nothing.  Immediately settled.  I rode over smooth highway, and crappy, torn-up city streets.  The suspension soaked up imperfections, rain grooves, and uneven lane without issue.  The suspension was set at '3' for me.  

The seat was comfy for the hour ride - The wife LOVES the passenger accommodations.  The scoot is big, but the bars, mirror placement and instrument cluster position make everything feel within reach.  I'm used to having to look a bit ahead to see my mirrors, on the Downtown, they are RIGHT THERE.  Riding position is comfy, and there are plenty.  I put my feet straight down, behind me, AND , if you slide your bum forward you can actually use the forward rests and roll like it is a lounge chair.

2-up is not problem.  The engine revs a little higher on take off.  Not much else.  if you adjust the suspension accordingly, I can honestly say 2-up is not just doable.  It is easy and comfy.  The scoot handles it with ease and grace.

All in all, It is a great scoot and cruises like a dream.  As a bonus, I got upward of 70mpg on the trip, and my insurance has dropped by 75% (with lowered deductables!!!).  

Of course there are things I didn't like - Here are the cons:

- The User's manual is rubbish.  I remember when these used to take more than 15 minutes to put together.  Why would it not include how to change the oil or belt?  Why doesn't it have actual size numbers for the bulbs?  Why wouldn't it tell me how to adjust the throttle takeup.  Boooooo!

LUCKILY, the service manual is on scribd - along with the parts list.  The service manual is quite good.  It also tells you how to run the internal diagnostic mode.  I'll be buying that.

- The instrument cluster.  I love it!  The LED backlights are sharp, and the fisheye glass over the needles is perfect to avoid glare.  However, resetting the trip requires a 2second-button hold.  It is a little much.  Would also like a little more granularity than the 4-bar gas gauge and temp gauge.  Just nitpicking.        

- The ignition key functions are unintelligible.  The ring around they key has a multitude of arrows and hieroglyphics, on many separate levels.  A simple dot with a word next to it would be great.  

- The Downtown has a STOCK rear tire hugger.  If you have a bike without one, you can appreciate their value - The hugger prevents the tire from slinging crap yp, under your bike.  HOWEVER, they decided to hide that behind a giant, hideous mudflap/giant chunk of plastic to hold the license plate.  Fabricating a 'tail tidy' will be a priority.  Why does every manufacturer seem to put thses on their bikes?

- No LED turnsignals in the rear?  No LED taillight?  The rest of the bike is sooooo slick and modern - why would we not include this?  I'll be fixing this oversight immediately.  ;D

- No Downtown 300i forum here!  Seriously.  They are going to sell quite a few of these things this year.  May want to get that going.

All in all, the value you get for the price on this scoot is incredible.  It is a very fun ride and cuises like a dream.  The styling cannot be beat (It looks like it was actually designed this decade) - It really catches the eye.  Faster than my Vespa, less of a rolling pig than my Burgman, WAY more practical than my crotch rocket.  Can't go wrong with this scoot IMHO.

P.S. I'll edit the post to add pics later ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:27:26 PM by Whisper »

juanpauk

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i First Ride
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase Whisper, I can not wait until march to get mine. Looking forward to see to pics and also let us know how do you go about setting up the gps.
I am not familiar with lights but I am interested to see what sort of led lights will you use on the rear.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
Unfortunately, even the parts list is VERY vague on the bulb sizes for the Downtown.  So, I went and pulled them.

Let me tell you - Popping the bulbs is no 10 minute job.  Get out the tool kit and get ready for a solid 1-2 hours.  Also work on growing a 2nd elbow.  ;D  Here's what I found:

- Headlights H8 35W
- Rear Turn Signal:  BAU15S
- Rear Brake:  1157

I'll confirm when the lights come in that they are indeed the correct sizes.

I did also find out some other unfortunate news - A stock oil filter is $20.  A drive belt is $165!!!!!!   Roller weights are $11 a piece.

The good news is the replacement intervals are humane.  And from what I hear, the Kymco stock stuff lasts (I don't even see a madatory belt replacement on the schedule).  However, as soon as an aftermarket oil filter comes out for 1/4 the price, I will be jumping on it.

The other good news is that all the mechanical maintenance parts are EASY to get to (unlike the lights ;D).  It will probably take less time to do the first service than it will to change out the lights.  HA!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
- The User's manual is rubbish.  I remember when these used to take more than 15 minutes to put together.  Why would it not include how to change the oil or belt?  Why doesn't it have actual size numbers for the bulbs?  Why wouldn't it tell me how to adjust the throttle takeup.  Boooooo!

Because it is a user's and not service manual.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »
I notice the 300 is over 100 pounds lighter than the 500.  This makes me wonder if it perhaps accelerates almost as well as the 500?? 

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
I notice the 300 is over 100 pounds lighter than the 500.  This makes me wonder if it perhaps accelerates almost as well as the 500?? 

According a well placed source, the D300 is faster accelerating than than the X500, until you read the 70 MPH range.

Based on my memory of the test ride, the D300 accelerates VERY quickly with almost no lag between throttle twist and motion. My P250 needs to spin up before it starts moving and I don't remember feeling anything like a lag when pulling out at stop lights and the such when riding the D300.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »

Agility 125 is over 100 pounds lighter than People 250 S and it definitely does not accelerate as well. Not even almost. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Because it is a user's and not service manual.

It SOUNDS reasonable, but EVERY other manual I have had for EVERY other bike has had these things.  Car manuals have them too.  trust me, it is just a few pages more substantial than a pamphlet. 

And I have high expectations of my complimentary motorcycle literature ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »
  It SOUNDS reasonable, but EVERY other manual I have had for EVERY other bike has had these things.  Car manuals have them too.  trust me, it is just a few pages more substantial than a pamphlet. 

And I have high expectations of my complimentary motorcycle literature ;D

In the past 10 years I purchased around 10 scoots and two bikes and none of them had detailed service information inside.
Last year I bought two quads and a new car, and no manual for any of them contains information how to do service, change oil, bulbs, belts or anything else.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »
According a well placed source, the D300 is faster accelerating than than the X500, until you read the 70 MPH range.

Based on my memory of the test ride, the D300 accelerates VERY quickly with almost no lag between throttle twist and motion. My P250 needs to spin up before it starts moving and I don't remember feeling anything like a lag when pulling out at stop lights and the such when riding the D300.

Thanks, TechGuy, yes I believe it's possible that's true.  Could be accomplished with factory engineers picking the right roller weights, clutch tuning, final drive ratio, etc.  It's a gorgeous bike and a possibility for my next purchase as I age and need to downsize.  ;) 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »
Thanks, TechGuy, yes I believe it's possible that's true.  Could be accomplished with factory engineers picking the right roller weights, clutch tuning, final drive ratio, etc.  It's a gorgeous bike and a possibility for my next purchase as I age and need to downsize.  ;) 

Regardless of "fine tuning", power and torque output dictates both acceleration, elasticity and top speed.
You cannot turn 300 cc 30 hp into 500 cc 40 hp whatever you do.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
The Downtown has the newer engine and can be set up more agressively while fulfilling the emission limits.
The Xciting 500 starts with 2500rpm and won't see 5000rpm in urban driving.
Don't know if the Downi 300 is really a little bit faster/slower or its higher rpm level (with noise) makes us think so.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 03:44:12 AM »
Awesome man, i want one!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
Regardless of "fine tuning", power and torque output dictates both acceleration, elasticity and top speed.
You cannot turn 300 cc 30 hp into 500 cc 40 hp whatever you do.

Power and torque do do dictate acceleration, top speed, etc...  IF you don't take into consideration weight and gearing.  Looking at engine numbers by themselves is misleading.

Weight is a HUGE factor - And since rider weight can be 1/4-1/2 the total weight, real world performance numbers can vary wildly. 

You'd expect the gearing to be dead on, but once again, it depends heavily on weight which varies wildly.  Also, manufacturers have to balance efficiency and ridability - Any scoot would go much faster if the clutch engaged crisply at 5k rpms and kept the revs in the top 20% of the range.  Of course this would drastically reduce the lifespan of all driven parts, crush gas milage, and make it fairly unpleasant to ride for most people.

Lotsa factors, lotsa comprimise.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Much of the performance of the Downtown is that it is designed to be used as a commuter. Performance in the 0-45 MPH range may be the range that it was optimized for. This means its higher speed performance may be less than that of the Xciting 500.  The X500 is more focused on it's highway performance (55-70 MPH). This could mean the lower speed performance (in-town speeds) would be of less importance to the designers. Getting both low and high speed performance doesn't seem possible with a CVT.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()