Author Topic: Downtown 300i First Ride  (Read 21382 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i First Ride
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Getting both low and high speed performance doesn't seem possible with a CVT.

To the contrary, I think it is quite possible, especially with 125-250 cc 4 stroke scoots. You should try P250S, it is quite balanced.

With smaller displacement it is very easy to screw acceleration if you go for top speed and vice versa.

With larger displacement scoots, the problem is also to prevent tire slipping when starting from stand still.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
  The XCiting 500 definitely has a higher top speed - Axy is right, there is no replacement for displacement for overcoming the wind.

But the D300 seems to be geared very well for my weight (160#).  Acceleration is quite good, and even at 70mph, it has enough guts to pass.  It certainly isn't the eyeball pinning response of my crotch rocket, but I don't feel like I am even close to wringing it out on the highway.  They really struck a good balance.

Getting low and high speed performance isn't that tricky.  Get the roller weight and and variator correct and you'll get acceleration.  Get the diameter of the variator and final gearing right, and you have top speed.  No reason why you can't have both in a CVT.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »
  The XCiting 500 definitely has a higher top speed - Axy is right, there is no replacement for displacement for overcoming the wind.

... there is. Turbo charger!  ;D :D
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
Delivering our new Kymco, Downtown 300i Thursday replacing our Peoples S200. Feeling the 160 some CC in the 200, we surely wanted bigger and more comfortable. I am 6'1" at 245 and want to be able to travel a bit further from home. Had to talk myself into 14" & 13" wheels from the 16's on the 200. Looked at the 250 Grand Vista but too tight from seat to handle bars. The 200 was Red & went to the Silver for the 300....just like "downtown"! Further, ordered the V46 Box for the back. Can't wait till warm weather here in PA!
report abusevote downvote upVotes: +0

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 01:55:24 PM »
  Congrats!  I hear the Silver ones are the fastest (^.^ ).  Definitely post what you think of it when you get it!

The smaller wheels will be a better trade-off than you think - On a scoot, it adds to the scooty handling.  Also, I have been noticing, the weight on the downtown is slung LOOOOOooooow.   Way low.  Lower than the Burgman and perhaps the Vespa I had.  Seems to really help with low speed handling.

This weekend I have the following projects!:

- Change Headlights
- Replace Tail bulbs with LEDs
- Pour Dynabeads in the tires

I'll try to post with pics.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
Thanks Whisper for your reply to my post. I'm not a very long user of the "scoots"! Sure am looking forward to receiving it today.
Went to the place of origin taking an item down they needed for pre delivery process from my package that came with it. It was the battery cover they needed to complete the installation. I looked at the process and couldn't believe that the entire seat and more had to be taken off to get into that compartment. I had them install a quick connect to the trickle charge that I had for the 200 which work's great. Like a kid with a new toy can't wait to get home from work! Just like "downtown" you know! I have a large frame and needed this bigger scooter. I have to say here, I really loved the Peoples S200 and hate to see it go (Trade-In). :(  Photography was my profession and is my Hobby and the storage space will be nice. The V46 Box is being added to this unit. Wonder how this will run on some of my longer trips at say 50-55 or maybe 60! 21 degrees this AM in PA :( Will post my delivery impression!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
In looking at the prices of the service manual for the Downtown 300i decided to down load the 200 some page for 14 bucks.
Not really a mechanic so it's not like I will be tearing into anything! I didn't print double side paper so the result will be just enough for a umm a normal note book (1"). I already wrote down the notes from Whisper on bulb's, thanks whisper!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
  Yeah, they definitely have the storage bucket bolted down!  I removed everything but the seat bolts to SQUEEZE my hand in the back to get at the bulbs.  I *DO NOT* recommend this - It is not worth risking damage and it is wildly uncomfortable!  (>.< ).  Luckily, you can spin those bolts out in under 5 min.

I used to live in PA!  Good news - The Groundhog didn't see it's shadow.  ;D  The downtown has some good wind protection, so riding in cooler temps is quite possible.  Just be careful of those meticulously cared for PenDOT roads...

55-60 will be NO issue.  My commute has a speed limit of 70mph, and It gets to speed easily.  And there is plenty left for passing.  The chasis is also good for the higher speeds.  I've bumped the handlebars (purposefully) at highway speeds - No oscillation.  Nice and stable.  Just make sure you set those back springs for your weight (Tool kit has the required spanner).

PLEASE send pics of that box you are putting on!  I'm looking for a nice one, and that one is definitely nice!  I'd like to see how it looks on the D300.

I'll be able to confirm bulb sizes this weekend.  unfortunately, the headlights they sent were 100W instead of the 35W I ordered.  Grrrr.   Had to return & reorder.  I'll post the actual part number for the LEDs I ordered if they fit.  I'm also going to try to do some real-world testing of those Dynabeads.

People love those People 200s!  I haven't met anyone who rides them who has had an unkind word for it.  I think you'll definitely dig the D300, tho.  Do yourself a favor and order your first oil filter now - 500 miles goes by fast in that saddle!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
OK..OK !! It arrived at 11 AM!! The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Ice and snow still on the ground and the garage door and pulling it is I found it spinning! A bit of help and it went in. It is definetly heavier than the 200 and being I had to park it sideways in the garage I didn't have that little bit of run backwards to get in on it's center stand!...left it on the side stand and it is ok for now...just like "downtown". Of course it doesn't start or run with the side stand down. Ok with the center stand for starting and running. Next, I sat on it and ran it for so many minutes getting the feel of it in this state. Of course at noted, the side stand was up. I wanted to place it on the center stand and even with my size, I couldn't do it in the garage with it sitting cross wise in there. Not enough of that little bit of run room to get it up! That works with age too!! Anyway, now I can't wait till warm weather get's here. Also, I hooked up my trickle charger right away after shutting it down, it stayed on charging for a good while then switched over to trickle eventually. Will shot some photo's when I get the V46 Box Whisper which I know is going to be a great add on. I do know that the color will correspond with most of the scooter's. Called to make sure that oil filter is stocked...thanks for that info! I did note while running in a idling mode and just barely throttling a bit...it want's to jump!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
Syl,

To get the D300 up on the center stand, stand facing the bike, place your left hand on the left handlebar grip and place a couple fingers over the brake (in case you need it), stand close the bike and place your right hand on the luggage rack side rail (near the side of the pillion seat) and grip it firmly, place your right foot on the center stand's lever (the part that sticks out the side of the bike). As you press down on the center stand lever with your right foot, make sure both legs are on the ground, use the luggage rack to pull up and pull slightly back on the front grip towards the rear of the scoot.  This should make getting the scoot up on the center stand easier.

This video shows a much heavier and taller bike but uses the same technique.

Here is another good video.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
Tech Guy, thanks for the information and the video. Seems very easy the way you showed and I tried that other than rocking it back and forth as you described. I had no trouble with the S200 and I didn't even know about the rocking! Nevertheless, your way will be attempted tomorrow and again, I thank you for all. When it was delivered at 11 AM, I attached the trickle charger at 11:30 AM and it's been going since to the checking on it at 4:30 PM. I noted that the red charging light was on and the green light blinking ever since placing it on at 11:30. Hope that is normal but I didn't have that happen when the S200 was put on charge/trickle.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 02:58:45 AM »
When I was a wimpy teenager a friend gave me the best lesson in this.  "Put your back into it".  Sure enough, I was able to put a 750 on the centerstand.  At the time I was 134 pounds.  Now I'm 138.  Ha!   

I've always had rather weak arms and legs but strong back and gluteus maximus.  If you learn to make those muscles participate, it's easier.  I won't say easy as pie but easier.

Each time I put the 500 on the center stand I feel like I've pulled a tree stump out of the ground.   :D

I am a below knee amputee on the left side so, thank God I have my real right leg for this purpose!

By the way, that guy in the second video looks like an enormous fellow.  He dwarfs that bike.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:04:09 AM by Hoolander2 »

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:55 AM »
I find shifting all my weight onto the right foot while lifting slightly on the rear rack, and holding the left handlebar to work just fine. Coincidentally, the People 250 weight the same as the Downtown 300i. 

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/vstromv46topcase.htm The previous is some info on the V46 Box I have ordered. I let the dealer do the research for ordering it and providing the mounting hardware. I had 1 40 litre box on my S200 and I know how worth while it was. It was not a V46 which is pricey but understandingly rock like. Am looking forward again, to warm weather. Heck I might run up and down the alley at the least sign of warmth! You know, kid with a new toy!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()