Author Topic: Downtown 300i First Ride  (Read 21384 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i First Ride
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
  Holey schmoley.  That box doesn't look like it can hold much... if you look at it from the side.  Once you see the back of it, it looks like it will be cavernous!  That is really good looking too....  I can't wait to see how it looks on there - I think the width will be perfect for the D300.  Can you get a passenger backrest for it?  That would seal the deal for me.  That has a lock on it, right?

Centerstand is all technique on this one, and those vids TechGuy posted are *GOLD* - It is SOOOOOOO easy to make it harder than it could be.  Here's my gig:

1.  If you have limited room, get the scoot as far forward in the space as you can.  Putting it on the stand will move it back a few inches.

2.  Stand facing scooter (Very important, LOL!), make sure your right foot is lined up with the centerstand peg.

3.  Grab the luggage rack/passenger rail.  Make sure you are grabbing from under it - Palm up.  Your other hand is on the left handlebar. 

4.  Step on the centerstand peg like you are stepping up onto a stepstool - Let your weight do all the work for you.  You can lift on the grab rail a little if you want.

5.  The whole thing will shift back.  Let it do its thing.  Just keep it smooth (avoid jerking, brute force - it doesn't help) and you'll never have a problem. 

Getting it off the centerstand is easy.  Stand in thesame place as putting it on.  Hand in the same place too - but grab the brake while taking it off!  Just pull it forward smoothly and with constant, controlled force (Doesn't take much), and it happily hops right off.

BTW.  I think I can replace the little twisty knob on the glove compartment with a keyed cam lock.  Wooohooo!  I'll let you know how it goes.

juanpauk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Hi,

I have done a few searches on the luggage options for the D300 and there are some nice handy ideas out there.

The Givi V46 seems to be the best top box in terms of size and fitting (givi sell a 'holder' for the top box built for the downtown 300, which means no drilling):
The 'holder' reference is SR92M

* Here is a link to the givi website in the UK
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=KYMCO&mo=Downtown-125i-300i-0910

* a video showing how to install a top box with the mentioned 'holder' (german but no talking :)):
part 1:
part 2:

Soft Luggage
*Givi T455
Tunnel Bag 

On a Xciting

* Givi T449
Saddle Bag

On the D300

Hope it helps to narrow your searches.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
I like the GIVI but it seems much more expensive. SHAD seems to make good cases and most include the mounting items required. ALL shad cases come with the mountning plate at no additional cost.

Anyone have any experience with the SHAD cases?  The SH40 seems to sell for about $150 USD.

This is the video for the SH40

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:23 PM »
I had Shad 40 and added reflector's to it but what I like about the V46, it has wrap around reflection. My thought's the more the better. If I am correct, the V46 is in fact 46 Litre's and the shad is 40..not sure but ...I also like the brighter box. I too hate the price but...again...

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »

Shad does make 6 cases larger than the 40 shown, including the 50 shown above with wrap reflectors.

I added my own to my top case.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
  SUCCESS!  Well, mostly.

Got the LED tail bulbs in - You have to take out the center bucket to do it, and it is a little tight to get at the bulbs, but definitely doable!

- Headlights H8 35W  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Turn Signal:  BAU15S  - CONFIRMED
- Rear Brake:  1157 - CONFIRMED

I got all my bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs (I have no affiliation or business uinterest with them - but I was very happy with their products!)

Turn Signals:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm

Brake Light:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1156-x18-T.htm 

The good news is they work GREAT!  I was worried about the brake light (I've been disappointed by LED bulbs in the past).  No worries with these.  The turn signals work without splicing in a resistor or changing out the flasher.  The dashboard indicator appears to think a bulb is burned out (Goes bright-dim-bright instead of on-off-on), but the function of the turn signals is unchanged - No hyper flashing.  Very worth it.   I'll spawn a new post on this with pics ASAP.

I also threw dynabeads (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/) in the tires - 2 oz in each.  It took a lot of tapping to get the beasties in, but I was done in about 30 minutes.  The ride before I put them in was smooth.  The ride afterward is at least as smooth.  It may be placebo effect, but I swear it is smoother at higher speeds.  I tried getting some data with a seismometer app (spinning the rear wheel on the centerstand), but I have to sort though the data.
This was so cheap and easy, I can't see how it would hurt.  I'll spawn a new post on this with pics ASAP.

My only failure was the locking glove box.  And it was all my fault.  The cam lock was an exact fit.  However, the OEM latch must be used, and it is thicker than what the new cam lock was using.  I needed a longer screw, and found one that is too long.  My attempts at shortening the screw led to a stripped out lock (>.< ).  I'll spend another 4 USD for a new lock and actually splurge the 0.12 USD for the CORRECT screw and try again.  LOL!

Next up:  Oil change!  Only a few hundred more miles!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:30:21 PM by Whisper »

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Added pics throughout the post - Here are a few from my locking front compartment efforts.

Also - The LED taillight pics and links are here as well:

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3527.0

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
Whisper, so how do you think you came out with the lock subject? By chance would Kymco have or will they have a sub for the present no key latch? Curious as to their reasoning of not manufacturing with a lock....(cost)....how much could it cost them to do so such as on the gas cap. Waiting for my V stop for the front tire lock down on my trailer. One thing I'm glad I don't have to change is the mirrors to go out wider. On the S200 I couldn't see past my wide shoulder's. These on the 300 are surely better (not total) but at least can see without shifting left or right for better view.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
  That reminds me - I need to order another lock.  LOL!  I can't imagine Kymco will offer an official replacement.  I am also rethinking this mod, as it is kinda handy having no lock.  I can get at things I need while I am underway.  Or jam stuff in there on the go.

The mirrors are very well done on this scoot.  I notice they are clear at speed - Not vibrating so everything is blurry.  Also, they feel very 'close'  (they never actually ever get in the way of anything) - It takes a little getting used to, but it offers a very easy view.  Still wondering how the heck to best mount a GPS, tho.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
There is some pretty hefty Velcro available when all else seems to fail! Finding a good location can be tough but I know I used this stuff on dash boards where changing configuration is not permitted. This is not a possible total answer for mounting a GPS but could lead to another way of thinking about it. I know I'll be doing much the same as our much awaited Spring/Summer arrives.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
You, sir, are a genius.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()