Author Topic: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders  (Read 14999 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »
Hello all!

I'm looking at picking up a mid size scoot.  I'm down to the Downtown 300i, Yamaha Majesty, or XCiting 500

I'm leaning heavily toward the Downtown 300i - I love the styling, and the insurance and fuel savings will be very welcome!  I do have some questions though - Any help, views, and opinions are appreciated!

- How is the Downtown 300i to ride 2 up?  Can You ride highway (70mph) 2 up (I'm 160, the wife is... much less ;D)?  Does it handle well 2 up?

- How does the Downtown handle at speed - I have a 30+ minute commute on a road with a 70mph speed limit?  At 70-80mph is it stable?  Are there any oscillation problems or wallowing?  Any handling problems at all?

- How is the seating position?  I'm about 5'7", and it is a little upright, but not uncomfy.  However the forward foot position seemed...  odd.  - I'm going to sling a leg over the bike at the dealer this weekend, but any opinions are great!

- Are the brakes linked or seperate?

Thanks in advance!

W
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:33:56 AM by Whisper »

TechGuy

• View Profile
Re: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »
I will let you know as soon as I ride one... I am hoping to ride on in the next month or so. 

There are not too many of them at dealers to ride yet.  There will be more out there as the weather warms up.

If you ride one, let us know.

My understanding is it is a Maxi-Scooter?(<- I don't like that term) true Super-Scooter closer to the ride of a People 250 and less like that of a GrandVista or Xciting.  Faster to 70 MPH than an Xciting 500. It's been called Kymco's best scooter ever made by several riders I have chatted with.

This is third hand information from a very reliable source.

artig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:22:10 AM »
The brakes are not linked. The seating is comfy for someone about your height, but the feet forward position is not really usable. At least I don't find it practical.

I have encountered no problems with handling. Although the speed limit here is 100km/h (62mph) I have tried riding it at higher speeds. No oscillation or wallowing.

Can't help you with handling or performance 2-up. I've only ridden it solo, and I'm about the same weight as you.

I did a longer post with first impressions some months ago. You should be able to find it in this forum.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
  I got lucky - My closest dealer has one and says an order for one can be delivered in 3 days.  He has the silver one, and it is sexah.  All the accents are a slightly lighter shade and really give it a posh 2-tone look.  I am a big fan.

I've owned a Vespa LX150 and a Bergman 650 before - So I have a frame of reference...  A very very varied frame of reference.  ;)  I've also had some cheap 50s and a 125. 

-  The Burgman was great, lotta room, lotta power, lotta gizmos.  It was just...  enormous.  Like driving the queen mary.  Soooo comfy tho.  It did however has a strange oscillation over 110!  Never spent much time 110+, but it was unnerving.

-  The Vespa was fun on a stick!  Dead simple, and I could wring it out ANYWHERE.  Not near as comfy as the Bergman, but passable - However, not being allowed on highways made it less practical.

I looked at the Downtown 300i and the fit and finish is absolutely on par with Vespa and Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda.  The seams were even and tight.  The controls were snappy.  It seemed like a lot of thought went into the design.  I really have no worries about quality and reliability.

The non linked brakes is AWESOME!  Loose sand or gravel is no time for front brakes at all - Linked brakes make me nervous.

So far I like the price and styling over the Majesty.  From what I'm seeing performance on the Majesty isn't different enough to warrant the extra grand.

- Does the Downtown have 2 triple-trees on the forks like a motorcycle?  I heard the silver wing doesn't - It has more of a bicycle setup.

- Are the handlebars steady at highway speeds?  How is the stability?  Anyone ridden in high wind - Was there much effect?

- Any thoughts/comments on Downtown vs Majesty?

Artig - I've prolly read your review 3 times now.  LOL!   It is one of the most comprehensive I have found.  Thank you.

W

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:36 AM »
Hi, W!

Welcome to the forum!!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
I just got off the phone with a local dealer and they have a Downtown that I am going to ride. His comments were that is was one of the fastest scooters he has ridden, faster than the Vespa 300 (his words). We discussed that many have said that the performance of the D300 is similar to, or better than, the Burgman 400 in a 300 cc bike. He was very surprised by the performance by a 300cc bike, how well it handled, and well the brakes worked, especially as compared to the Xciting. He didn't get to ride to much though. I did ask about a top speed and he didn't get to attempt one.

I am pretty jazzed as this one has been ridden 500 miles as a press unit so most of the break-in has been done so it should be ready to ride.

I hope to have a first-hand opinion next week.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:38:47 AM »
Sounds awesome, TechGuy!

I know you will enjoy that ride!!

Looking forward to hearing about this one!!!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the welcome (^.^ )

I'll REALLY be looking forward to what you think of it, TechGuy.

I'm heading over to some dealers today to sling a leg over some scoots.  If I happen to come up with anything profound, I'll post it.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:29:23 PM »
Turns out, once you put the Downtown on the center stand, and check out the riding position, it is QUITE GOOD for 5'7". 

I also found out how to use those forward foot positions - Put your feet up, slide your butt forward, lean back and get your chillax on. 

I think I am sold on the Downtown - The only thing left is to get a good price.  Being January, it shouldn't be hard (I hope (O.< ))

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Is it very wide?  How is compared to a smaller kymco like the people 250 or a vespa?  I want to be able to split lanes and am considering a downtown 300i. 

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »
I wouldn't count on getting a deal beyond MSRP -- not with gas prices where they are, and where they are obviously going.

Lane-splitting: Future organ donor. DON'T DO IT.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 03:41:07 AM »
I can't help it, i live in the city.  When traffic is moving at a crawl, i go between cars or otherwise every car will try to muscle into my lane. 

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »
I live in the city, too (Nashville). I don't lane-split. It's stupid, even where legal.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
I do lane split every day.
It's a matter of course, even where theoretically illegal (France, Italy, Germany, India [where I learnt to drive in "real traffic"], ...) ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
I do lane split every day.
It's a matter of course, even where theoretically illegal (France, Italy, Germany, India [where I learnt to drive in "real traffic"], ...) ;D

You worked/lived in India?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()