Author Topic: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders  (Read 15000 times)

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
I spend a lot of vacations with my Indian relatives. But I never really suffered from the hard side of live. Anyway, my local relatives are wealthy, having enough to send their children around the world for studies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:26:15 AM by ts1 »

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
  The downtown doesn't appear to be the lane-splitting weapon that a Vespa would be - The Downtown probably has an extra 6" on either side.  However, it is probably just as wide as most motorcycles. 
  For short commutes with HEAVY traffic, a Vespa is really hard to beat.  However, if you have any highway runs, the Vespas become less of an option.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
I took an extensive test ride on the D300 this weekend. I started in a neighborhood that opened into an Art Deco aged downtown section with a divided main street.  I accelerated onto the main street with no issues, no hesitation. I rode a short distance on the the divided main street then got onto the freeway for a jaunt up a good sized hill. I rode from an altitude of less than 100 to over 2,000 feet at speeds ranging from 60-70 MPH going up the hill, with no hesitation.

I kept up with the flow of traffic and saw the speedo hold 75-80 MPH across the flat and during slight inclines. I rode up the hill to the first crest and then took it on a side road.  The side road is a very curvy country road. I slowed down here. I was not used to the bike, the roadway was damp and had off-camber corners, and there were some sections with leaves on the road. But, all that being said, it handled it well.  The frame is very rigid and moves side to side quickly. I continued until I came to nice safe place to turn around and rode back on the sames roads.

The interesting thing I noticed during my ride back was how easy it was to ride at highway speeds; 70-75 MPH indicated. During the first half of my ride I was focused on "doing stuff". In this half of my ride, I was just riding... just going some place. I was going back to the store to return the bike. Later, when I got back to the shop, I was asked about the wind and I had not noticed any wind. Seeing as how I had just cruised for the last 15 miles at speeds between 75 & 80 MPH in Saturday morning traffic, wind was not an issue.

After my highway, hill and curvy riding, I decided I needed a little more in-town, traffic riding. So, I drove a couple extra blocks on San Carlos to get a feel for in-town handling. I did split traffic at two lights but they were very easy splits with very generous gaps and short lines of traffic (4 cars or less). There were not any truck or vans in the traffic mix to get a feel for mirror heights (the challenge of my traffic splitting life).  I did make a couple u-turns and they were simple to complete.

For those who know the area; I started in San Jose, CA.  The freeway was the Highway 17, the grade near Los Gatos, headed towards Santa Cruz with a short ride on Bear Creek Road. The weather was sunny and clear, the air temps were in the 50-60F, a perfect test ride day. The D300 had over 400 miles on it when I started and 499 miles when i was finished riding. It is almost ready for it's 600 mile initial service (assuming that is where is gets done).

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
A couple shots from the bike I tested.

juanpauk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I have an agility city 125 and will be upgrading it in two months for the Downtown 8). I use my Iphone's TomTom to get me places as my sense of orientation is not reliable. I have my Iphone attached to my left mirror using a RAM mount (very secure as per pic).
Does anyone here have an idea on how to install a gps unit on a Downtown? I have a suction cup RAM mount but I don't trust it. Any ideas/solution will be much appreciated.
PS. It seems that there is more and more people talking about the Downtown 300i, looking forward to see a dedicated section for this bike on the main forum.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
This is a shot I took of the handlebar section:

I think this mounting ball will work fine slipped under the rubber boot.  I looked at this issue while I doing my test ride.

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:07 AM »
I took an extensive test ride on the D300 this weekend. I started in a neighborhood that opened into an Art Deco aged downtown section with a divided main street.  I accelerated onto the main street with no issues, no hesitation. I rode a short distance on the the divided main street then got onto the freeway for a jaunt up a good sized hill. I rode from an altitude of less than 100 to over 2,000 feet at speeds ranging from 60-70 MPH going up the hill, with no hesitation.

I kept up with the flow of traffic and saw the speedo hold 75-80 MPH across the flat and during slight inclines. I rode up the hill to the first crest and then took it on a side road.  The side road is a very curvy country road. I slowed down here. I was not used to the bike, the roadway was damp and had off-camber corners, and there were some sections with leaves on the road. But, all that being said, it handled it well.  The frame is very rigid and moves side to side quickly. I continued until I came to nice safe place to turn around and rode back on the sames roads.

The interesting thing I noticed during my ride back was how easy it was to ride at highway speeds; 70-75 MPH indicated. During the first half of my ride I was focused on "doing stuff". In this half of my ride, I was just riding... just going some place. I was going back to the store to return the bike. Later, when I got back to the shop, I was asked about the wind and I had not noticed any wind. Seeing as how I had just cruised for the last 15 miles at speeds between 75 & 80 MPH in Saturday morning traffic, wind was not an issue.

After my highway, hill and curvy riding, I decided I needed a little more in-town, traffic riding. So, I drove a couple extra blocks on San Carlos to get a feel for in-town handling. I did split traffic at two lights but they were very easy splits with very generous gaps and short lines of traffic (4 cars or less). There were not any truck or vans in the traffic mix to get a feel for mirror heights (the challenge of my traffic splitting life).  I did make a couple u-turns and they were simple to complete.

For those who know the area; I started in San Jose, CA.  The freeway was the Highway 17, the grade near Los Gatos, headed towards Santa Cruz with a short ride on Bear Creek Road. The weather was sunny and clear, the air temps were in the 50-60F, a perfect test ride day. The D300 had over 400 miles on it when I started and 499 miles when i was finished riding. It is almost ready for it's 600 mile initial service (assuming that is where is gets done).

Are you going to buy one? 

juanpauk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
@TechGuy

Thanks for your info.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Are you going to buy one? 

Yes, soon. Waiting on the financials.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:26:18 AM »
  The downtown doesn't appear to be the lane-splitting weapon that a Vespa would be - The Downtown probably has an extra 6" on either side.  However, it is probably just as wide as most motorcycles. 
  For short commutes with HEAVY traffic, a Vespa is really hard to beat.  However, if you have any highway runs, the Vespas become less of an option.

I don't see why this would be any less of a splitter than any Vespa would be. Lane Sharing (the legal term in California) requires a limited amount of space.  When you are sharing a lane with a cage (car/truck), you really only have ONE wide spot, on most scooters (unless you have a much larger scooter ...Burgman 600, Xciting 500?).  This wide spot is the handlebars and the mirrors.  Once you get the mirrors past the narrow point in a split, you have your torso, the butt/tail of the bike and you are done.

In my many P250 commutes on the dots, my biggest challenges have become the "mirror dance" I do between my mirrors and the mirrors hanging off the cages.  Full size trucks (especially 250 and 350 sized trucks), Dodge Dakotas and most Minivans are the ones I must watch for as my mirrors line up with these mirrors nearly every time. Once I get past the mirror, I have little to no risk of contact with the cage around me unless they move.

The D300's mirrors were in a very different location (one where I could actually see past my hulking shoulders) and did not see to have that same issues. They will have some issues but i am going to guess there will be less issues than I have now.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 02:41:56 AM »
Wow, TechGuy, that sounds like one awesome ride!! Thanks for posting all about it. I hope you enjoy your new scoot!! :)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
TechGuy - Thanks for the great writeup!  It sounds like you had a marvelous time.

I found a good dealer and a great price!  A Silver Downtown 300i is on it's way (est. delivery Thursday) - I'll post pics as soon as I can!

If anyone does find a really good way to mount GPS on the Downtown, please share!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »
Recession and crisis are over, may the new purchasing cycle begin! :) :) :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:10 AM »
TechGuy, when is your new scoot yet going to arrive? I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. Will it be the red one you tested out or another color?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:49 AM »
I am still waiting on the price on the one I test rode. It is a press unit bike that was used by a magazine. So, there is some slight damage to be addressed and a final price has not been agreed to.  I have researched two other options.

I liked this bike but I may order up a white one.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()