Author Topic: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders  (Read 14998 times)

juanpauk

• View Profile
Re: Need Opinions from Downtown 300i Riders
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:31 AM »
TechGuy - Thanks for the great writeup!  It sounds like you had a marvelous time.

I found a good dealer and a great price!  A Silver Downtown 300i is on it's way (est. delivery Thursday) - I'll post pics as soon as I can!

If anyone does find a really good way to mount GPS on the Downtown, please share!

TechGuy's solution is quite good, I have checked around and will go for the RAM-B-346, I am not familiar with brake/clutch reservoirs but the mount seems to have plenty of options to fit most bikes.
Had my GPS mount attached to my mirror for quite a while and over time it kind of makes the mirror a bit lose.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
I am still waiting on the price on the one I test rode. It is a press unit bike that was used by a magazine. So, there is some slight damage to be addressed and a final price has not been agreed to.  I have researched two other options.

I liked this bike but I may order up a white one.
Oooooooh, white is pretty too! Y'all are pretty smart with hooking up that GPS thingy there. I want me a GPS one day. And I do hope they give you a great deal on whichever one you decide to go with!

Can't wait to see pics!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
  THAT is the business right there!  Thank you, Juan!  I think mounting on the brake reservoir would allow me to get the GPS inside the windshield - Away from rocks and those #&^##%*^)_#(# who need to wash their windshields only when a motorcycle is behind them.  >:(

Routing the wiring from the onboard charging outlet through the moulding & fairing shouldn't be very hard.

You can't go wrong with the white, Techguy.  In the sunlight it is just beautiful.  And you don't see a lot of white bikes - Although it may be a PITA to keep looking clean.  I just can't bring myself to love the orange ones.  They should have gone with a strong, racing pearl yellow, IMHO.  That is the cat's pajamas.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
I kind of like the idea of looking like a cop in the rear view mirror of the cage ahead of me. The LEO's and the CHP both ride m/c here and when you are splitting lanes, anything that helps is good. In a rear view mirror, any white bike with dual headlamps and a fairing looks like a cop. By the time they figure out your not one, you're already gone.

Also, if you need to do any touch up paint, a solid color will match easily.  A metal flake will not match. If I go with the white, I will add some reflective decals in the front fairing.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
#&^##%*^)_#(#

LOL. Is that one really loooong bad word there?? Looks like one I couldn't even Try to pronounce! :D

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »
I kind of like the idea of looking like a cop in the rear view mirror of the cage ahead of me.

Ya know, TechGuy, I was really loving that red color, but you make a good point. We don't have LEO's on m/c where I live (they do still ride bicycles, though, lol,) but if you do in your area, I can see where the white one would be preferred.

Also, if you need to do any touch up paint, a solid color will match easily.

I definitely see the wisdom in this. Especially since you know that things happen that are unexpected or not under your control sometimes. I'm also thinking that this one will match any gear or accessories you already own. And I don't think keeping the white clean will be much of a problem for you since you seem to take really good care of your scoots already anyway.

I am curious, though, TechGuy...are you really tall too? I ask because when I look at the pics I really like that seat and I really like the way the floorboard is. I just wonder if it is comfortable for someone that is tall. If you are tall, can you remember how it felt, where your knees were in relation to things when you were sitting on the scoot riding? I would like to know how it felt compared to other models of scoots you may have owned or ridden before.

And is that seat comfortable, or just different and nice looking? :)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
I am not tall, I am about 5' 10" but I am a big guy. I test the suspension more than most... :)

hualalai

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
I've ridden a D300 (and a "Nikita", as the D300 is called in Taiwan). I'm 6'2".  I was too cramped to consider buying one.  It was OK for a short ride, but I wouldn't think about touring on it. Ergos are very dependent on the individual, of course, but I'd say anyone over 6' may have issues on a D300, or even shorter if your height is "legs" vs. "torso".

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()