Author Topic: Headlight Replacement, suggestions?  (Read 7988 times)

Ithaca Like 200i

• View Profile
Headlight Replacement, suggestions?
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:15:35 AM »
I got my 2013 Like 200i last spring, with just 500 miles on it. Since then I've put 3000 miles on it. It's a fun little ride. Sure beats driving a minivan.

I have noticed that the headlight is really dim. I want to replace it, mostly for safety. Seriously, at 30 mph I'm going faster than the headlight actually shines. Almost hit a deer because It was not illuminated until I was right on top of it. The focus appears to be correct, but there isn't much light.

I want to replace the headlight with a brighter one. The manual calls out a 35w/35w bulb for low/high beam, does not call out a part number. Obviously I don't want to use the same bulb model, I want to put in a much brighter bulb.

I have a couple concerns about putting in a higher wattage bulb, including heat, and also not having enough output from the alternator to properly operate and charge everything. I don't want to melt down the headlight housing, and I don't want to recharge my battery every couple days. A 60w bulb would be over 2 amps more current than the 35w bulb. I don't imagine that the alternator was designed to provide much extra current.

I'm sure somebody on the forums has replaced that bulb. I'm assuming that maybe a halogen or xenon bulb of the same wattage exists. Could you please tell me the bulb type and model number? I don't want to disassemble anything until I have the new bulb.

Thanks.

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: Headlight Replacement, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:57 AM »
Good topic, I'm looking at doing the same to my LIKE so will be interested in seeing what is recommended.  I have a guess now and say that Stig will have an answer.

Paul

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:45:13 AM »
go with a cree led h4!! no hassle no ballast last almost for ever

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
Nope.
I got nothing.
This scooter does not have the best forward lighting.
This is very evident with oncoming car lights in your face.
You simply don't see much until that car passes.
I dealt with that again 15 mins ago.

My concern with replacement bulbs is:
1) heat
2) incorrect electrical draw
3) incorrect light pattern blinding oncoming drivers

Phillips and others make a direct replacement bulb with 30% brighter  claimed.
I do know that our OEM bulbs dim over time. Popping in a new one would be a slight improvement.

I guess it is time to do some serious research for a new plug and play bulb that will not damage our scooter. Any lighting improvement will be good.
I'll be calling to ask bike/scooter shops across the USA.
OK LIKE owners....get to work!
Stig
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:19:59 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
This light issue with this scooter is exactly why I never ride it on an unfamiliar road at night. !! Never.
The twin headlights on the Forza and Burgman were a revelation in night scooter vision! !
Stig
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:26:31 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
The standard globe is a Philips HS1 12636 12v 35/35.  I was looking at one of the Philips globes on ebay that said you get 30% better light but the markings were the exact same as my globe.  Might have to study up on those cree led lights.

Philips also offer this one, interesting about the orange effect but wondering how it would stand out at day time.
 http://www.mea.philips.com/c-p/12636CTVBW/cityvision-moto-motorcycle-headlights#see-all-benefits

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
The standard globe is a Philips HS1 12636 12v 35/35.  I was looking at one of the Philips globes on ebay that said you get 30% better light but the markings were the exact same as my globe.  Might have to study up on those cree led lights.

Philips also offer this one, interesting about the orange effect but wondering how it would stand out at day time.
 http://www.mea.philips.com/c-p/12636CTVBW/cityvision-moto-motorcycle-headlights#see-all-benefits

Hello Paul,
Just ordered one of the orange Philips lights from the U.K.
Probably illegal here in the States.
Give it a go. Thanks for info.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »
Will be great to see your review on it.  Going to give Philips Australia a call to find out if they have a dealer overhere who sells them.  During the daytime I find that since my LIKE is white the headlight does not stand out at all.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 01:11:36 AM »
I looked into motorcycle driving lights to mount on the side of the front fender, but cost is crazy expensive for those things.

Ithaca Like 200i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:58 AM »
After taking a closer look through the front lens, I see that it is a halogen bulb in there. I can see the black paint on the end.

The 12636-ctv-bw sounded like a good option, except when I tried to get one, a message came up that the bulb was not available to export to the US. Too bad, as a slight orange/yellow tinge can really cut through fog.

I looked at H1 bulbs on the Autozone website, All the H1 bulbs it listed there were single beam, not hi/lo. I know, I should probably be looking at motorcycle places. I've purchased all my other parts there, though, and they do carry some motorcycle parts.

What is the difference between H1 and H4 bulbs? The Cree LED is an H4 mount. Are they interchangeable? I assume Beermak was not proposing that I rewire the headlight. H4 bulbs are easily purchased. I would just have to make sure that the wattage was OK.

That bulb has to go. "High Beam Harry" came towards me the other night, I literally could not tell where the road was. I had to pull over until he went past.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »
Just had to bit of a google to find out the differences :  http://www.ehow.com/facts_6950432_difference-h1-h4-headlight-bulbs.html
The HS1 is a low powered version of the H4 and comes in both single and double filaments. 

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 04:26:13 AM »
When I am ready to upgrade I doubt if I will be getting the Downtown 350i,  not only does it look crap in low beam with only one headlight on but I would prefer more visibility in the traffic. 

https://www.facebook.com/165361090515984/photos/a.171154876603272.1073741827.165361090515984/254342864951139/?type=3&theater

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
Seen plenty of sport bikes with one. Agree it looks goofy.....probably not too expensive to get it reworked at a shop...if you liked everythingelse about the bike.
I happen to like darn near everything Kymco designs.
But then I like most scooters.
Can't think of a newer maxi scooter that I dislike.
Some early Honda and Yamaha maxis were embarrassingly ugly....but some still loved them.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »
Remember the old Honda 250, really loved the look of that and that was the first scooter I ever wanted. 

Ithaca Like 200i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »
Well, I think I may have found part of the light issue. A about a week ago it rained, the bike would not start. Had to stick it on a charger for a few minutes. Then it sat for the weekend, was dead Monday morning. Charged it up again, for longer. Looks like the battery may be up for replacement. Prior to this there had been noting indicating a weak battery, had been starting easily.

I pulled the battery out, It was an Interstate YTX9, and the date on the battery was 10 years old. Makes me wonder what happened to the original battery, since it is a 2013 scooter.

I'm assuming that it can be replaced with an Interstate CYTX9-BS, or a Deka GTX9, or one of the same size batteries.

Another thing, why don't I find a list of all the standard maintenance parts, with part numbers for this bike? When I get a turning signal bulb for the car, the book calls out a 4157 NA bulb. Makes getting the correct parts easy.

Thanks for listening

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()