Author Topic: Multivar or Polini?  (Read 3918 times)

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
Multivar or Polini?
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »
Multivar seems the most common. Anyone running the Polini variator or have experience with both? Both are $79. Which nets the most gain?

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Multivar or Polini?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
I snagged a polini off the agility I bought.  I had to grind at the case above the starter gear to get it to fit in since its 95mm compared to the malossi 89mm.  I can say anything for performance though.  With my worn out torque driver guides it amplified my horrible downshift at 30mph.  It did lower high velocity rpms,  but the belt seems a few mm short to fully utilize the whole face of the variator.  I still had a few mm of room at the edge compared to the malossi riding right up to the edge. 
I'd like to sort out the issues to try to use it,  maybe find a belt that's a few mm longer. 
From this I saw that there was no part number for the polini for the s9.  Maybe because of the alteration to the case at the starter gear?  I'm not sure.  https://books.google.com/books?id=qn4F1qvlngIC&pg=PA124&lpg=PA124&dq=p241400+polini&source=bl&ots=nwI6zJa0V5&sig=uPSgvJeNhIYpihXbY5Zi_vaSd7o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwvrim2vvJAhVG3GMKHW_qCAsQ6AEIHDAB#v=onepage&q=p241400%20polini&f=false
What is the part number of the one you're looking at,  polini?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:23:37 PM »
241.687 is listed as the manufacturer part number. It's on eBay.

Raindrop586

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »
You can run the over sized polini .. But starter hits .. Get malossi ..

But. The god of s9 Aeromist claims stock var just as good .but i got malossi

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:14:26 PM »
I run the malossi as well,  very good.  But I'd like to run a larger one.  That's why I cut out the lip over the starter gear to get it to fit safely. 
I can't find that number in that link I sent you,  that list may be old.  Lemme see if I can find the part number on mine.  And I'll show you what I had to cut out.  I know from your previous posts that you're not afraid to cut some things up!

By the way,  you've been scarce in the scooter world recently.  You doing alright, brother?

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »
Thanks for noticing. It's winter and since I'm a fair weather rider, the scoot and scooting are one the back burner. I rode it up the street a few weeks ago and keep getting an afterfiring through the exhaust which kills the motor/soft seizes it. Hoping to get it running nice this spring and also buy a 2013/14 Aprilia SR50 SBK for daily riding. We'll see how it goes. Most demanding of my time is my schooling wraps up Thursday, and I've already started a job in my career field, so those keep me at bay.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
My variator doesn't have a part number on it.  If the picture of the part number is an accurate representation of it then it may be a little smaller than mine?  I can't tell.  I know that with the malossi and polini next to each other you can see a difference in the ramp angles and size. 
Here's the area I ground down to fit the polini
Here's the malossi and polini, polini on right
I didn't have grooves in the edge of the malossi until just recently after messing with sliders and my torque driver problems.  It used to ride all the way up,  and now I can see that it hasn't been.  Might be an explanation to my loss in top speed recently.  I need to stop messing around and just get a new torque driver with straight grooves.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:39:27 AM by Triesandluth »

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:35:40 AM »
Thanks for noticing. It's winter and since I'm a fair weather rider, the scoot and scooting are one the back burner. I rode it up the street a few weeks ago and keep getting an afterfiring through the exhaust which kills the motor/soft seizes it. Hoping to get it running nice this spring and also buy a 2013/14 Aprilia SR50 SBK for daily riding. We'll see how it goes. Most demanding of my time is my schooling wraps up Thursday, and I've already started a job in my career field, so those keep me at bay.
Congrats on the career!  And on the aprillia!  I would love one,  but my fleet is already too big for my storage space at the moment. 
Have you tried upjetting any more?  You haven't messed with your timing,  right?  Just a few thoughts on the back firing and seizing.  That's not causing too much damage to the rings,  I hope. 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »
Though,  like I mentioned,  there seems to not be enough belt to utilize the whole face of the variator,  unless we can figure out a way to get the belt to travel further into the rear pulley or a millimeter or 2 longer belt. .  My attempted modification to one of my tgb rear pulleys made me discover that the thick bead weld on the inside of that pulley actually is the point that it is held to the rest of it. 

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:37 AM »
Not sure if it's damaging the rings or not; I haven't taken the motor apart since Summer. If you need an extra mm or 2 you can extend the length of the torque pulley ramps of the stock TQ pulley using a dremmel tool orrat-tail file. I've done this myself and it does move the belt further up the faces and the pulley can close further. Just be extra careful not to alter the profile. To do it right, it will take some time. I spent at least an hr or two. As for the Ape; I haven't gotten one yet, but soon I hope.... it's a dream toy of mine and has been for a long while.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 03:43:13 AM »
Yeah, I've read that little mod before, but I figured that as close as it already is is fine.  At this point I really don't care about the worn out torque driver and have nothing to lose.  Maybe I can get some decent performance out of the polini to report back.  I have the cvt in pieces right now trying to decide what to do.  But I need to be careful not to try too many changes at once. 

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:26:54 AM »
Actually I just found my problem.  I've already dealt with this once and forgot.  The damn malossi delta clutch back plate hits the torque driver when open.  It stops it 1 to 2mm shy of fully open...
See the wear where it hits?  It's like that at each of the three spots.  I'm just going to use the clips with a small washer behind them again.  Or find washer to go behind the clutch sometime if it doesn't affect the bell and shoe position.

Okay, sorry for the thread jacking,  I'll let you know if this helps with the polini.

Raindrop586

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
Actually I just found my problem.  I've already dealt with this once and forgot.  The damn malossi delta clutch back plate hits the torque driver when open.  It stops it 1 to 2mm shy of fully open...
See the wear where it hits?  It's like that at each of the three spots.  I'm just going to use the clips with a small washer behind them again.  Or find washer to go behind the clutch sometime if it doesn't affect the bell and shoe position.

Okay, sorry for the thread jacking,  I'll let you know if this helps with the polini.

So is that with stock bell or delta bell ? Wonder if mine hits ?

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »
Delta clutch back plate hits the outside of the torque driver pulley.  Take your rear pulley Assembly off,  take off the big spring,  but the clutch on without it,  then move the pulleys open by hand.  My clutch would rise 2+mm because of the back plate hitting.  Then,  I noticed the bolts that hold the springs,  their heads hit the plate, too.  So I removed the plate,  added a couple small washers,  then filed the heads of the bolts down to allow clearance.  In the end I took it off.  Mine is messed up somehow.  Causes vibration.  Might be because of the bell,  I dunno yet.

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 01:06:41 AM »
Still on the fence here. I think I might have to go with the Malossi simply because my cylinder is Malossi and companies like them tend to develop there product range to be most complimentary to others in that line. Mixing and piecing together aftermarket parts can on occasion work, but it's a crap shoot at best and a complete waste of time, money and potential damage at worse. I am still very interested in the Polini variator's performance and quality though. I find it difficult that there doesn t seem to be any experience with that brand and our bikes??? Anyway, with the amount of snow that has dropped last night and todat; I'd be better off selling the bike and getting a snow mobile lol. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()