Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143383 times)

balkoger

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #795 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »
Thanks Karl,

Depends the weather around you.
My area have minus 10-20 celsius on winter and 35-38 celsius the hottest summer.
So I dont want to ride below zero, and mostly dry condition, but sometimes I catch rain and fogg.
So I'm interesting the wet&dry condition between 0-30 celsius .
I know the rear quickly running out, but I feel (touch the wheels after 20km) in the cold mornings the rear warmer than the front (I know weight).

I have PP SC front and rear on my Downtown and could not be more pleased. I will be very pleased if the rear lasts longer than 8000 miles!
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold
2016 Honda NC 750 Integra - owned

balkoger

• View Profile
Headlight high beam adjustment…….tricky situation
« Reply #796 on: February 22, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
After low beam adjustment which practicable without any disassembly the high beam light was lower. Sucks…. :'(
Because I can’t remember the high beam adjustable or not.  ???
So start disassembly the front (nose) again and find adjustment screw on the upper part which is unreachable if the nose mounted.
Let start to dismantle the front, all the way until take of speedometer cover, than put back the nose reconnect everything even the speedometer itself.
A long stem screwdriver will be required about 30cm long, the screw reachable below the handle.
I’m do it when „renew the black plastic parts” so it wasn’t another big job, but need to think about how much effort a „few minute adjustment” action will take.
That adjustment can be done by removing only nose and temporary applied 2-3 times between adjusting procedure, or what else?
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »
After low beam adjustment which practicable without any disassembly the high beam light was lower. Sucks…. :'(
Because I can’t remember the high beam adjustable or not.  ???
So start disassembly the front (nose) again and find adjustment screw on the upper part which is unreachable if the nose mounted.
Let start to dismantle the front, all the way until take of speedometer cover, than put back the nose reconnect everything even the speedometer itself.
A long stem screwdriver will be required about 30cm long, the screw reachable below the handle.
I’m do it when „renew the black plastic parts” so it wasn’t another big job, but need to think about how much effort a „few minute adjustment” action will take.
That adjustment can be done by removing only nose and temporary applied 2-3 times between adjusting procedure, or what else?

That's strange. Usually the high beam is so high it needs no adjusting - being already up in the trees!
Owner's manual shows no high beam adjustment? (without panel removal?)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

balkoger

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 24, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Yes Stig, usually!  I think in the previous life of the bike someone adjust, or reset the headlight, because the low beam is also illuminated at 10-20 meters, need adjustments.
I didn't find any guide even in the service manual.
Service manual only shows the headlight itself (how to change bulbs) on the table  ;D ;D ;D ???

If your high beam already up in the trees, how to realize animals or dangerous things on the road  ;D ;D ;D

That's strange. Usually the high beam is so high it needs no adjusting - being already up in the trees!
Owner's manual shows no high beam adjustment? (without panel removal?)

Stig
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:39:25 AM by balkoger »
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 20, 2019, 05:32:01 AM »
Another breakdown, the third this year.

Started fine, about halfway into my journey to work, started a rattling noise, then it jerked, and started to lose drive, when I stopped on the road shoulder, the engine stalled and leaked coolant. The con-rod bearing blew itself to bits. This time it isn't worth repairing anymore.

So it's fare well to the DT200.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 22, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
Actually yesterday afternoon gave the DT a much needed bath including Gunk-ing the engine unit. Used a leaf blower to quick-dry and then started up to add a little heat to make sure. Used the leaf blower as a "chamois"! Looks and smells great!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 24, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
Actually yesterday afternoon gave the DT a much needed bath including Gunk-ing the engine unit. Used a leaf blower to quick-dry and then started up to add a little heat to make sure. Used the leaf blower as a "chamois"! Looks and smells great!
Best $30 spent on electric leaf blower ( now have enough cord to do neighboring counties) Dry the scoot, clean gutters with no ladder, blow neighbor' s cats out of my trees, clear patio, blow cats into trees, clear light snows, wake neighbors in time for church, etc.
Stig
After helping my late brother wash his Golf GTi, he said, "hop in, let's take it for an Italian chamois"
Which involved getting airborn on some country lanes!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:54:44 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 24, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
Har, har, Stig!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
Waiting for stator replacement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 28, 2019, 01:44:08 PM »
Ooh! Cooked that one coil!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

lolofigo

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »
Ooh! Cooked that one coil!
Fried in deep oil

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 09, 2019, 05:21:17 AM »
lolofigo wow can you take photos of the steps to take off the back and side covers? I was trying to take the side covers to change the rectifier regulator but I couldn't figure it out, I eventually changed it without removing the covers but still it would be a lot easier to just take off the covers.

Btw, what I did today with my Downtown, I changed the Spark plug, oil, and filter, and I found out the old spark plug wasn't fastened tightly. I replaced it with a new E3 one and tightened it, the bike starts much better now and the power I feel is more stable when I hold the throttle. I am really happy I think I fixed the starting issue finally, hopefully it'll stay strong like this in the long run!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 11, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
Had a nice 20 mile ride to the bank and back, mid 70's F, got fuel a solid 75 mpg. Rear tire has about 6000 miles with 1/16" left to the wear indicators. Looks like car tire next time...
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

balkoger

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 12, 2019, 06:34:41 AM »
lolofigo wow can you take photos of the steps to take off the back and side covers? I was trying to take the side covers to change the rectifier regulator but I couldn't figure it out, I eventually changed it without removing the covers but still it would be a lot easier to just take off the covers.

Btw, what I did today with my Downtown, I changed the Spark plug, oil, and filter, and I found out the old spark plug wasn't fastened tightly. I replaced it with a new E3 one and tightened it, the bike starts much better now and the power I feel is more stable when I hold the throttle. I am really happy I think I fixed the starting issue finally, hopefully it'll stay strong like this in the long run!

Hello Seanny!  I plan to increase rectifier heat sink surface to decrease temperature, because this week my area reached 35Celsius ,during that I let you know how to remove, hopefully next week.
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 13, 2019, 04:21:43 AM »
I recently changed the belt and rollers. The belt had 28,000km on it - way past the rated 20,000km interval but there were no signs of damage. However it was quite loose and that caused a lot of vibration and clattering noise at idle and during acceleration. The new belt was difficult to put on because the larger width of the belt tried to push out the drive pulley and nut. However a breaker bar and impact driver solved it easily and the nut was tightened to spec with some loctite.

The rollers had burn marks on them and needed to be replaced because I tested a new drive pulley/variator combo that had poor manufacturing tolerances, causing the sliders to stick. This meant that the rollers grinded against the variator instead of rolling. This also caused weird rpm issues during acceleration.

Now time to solve the leaking valve cover gasket.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()