Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143464 times)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
Since it is being diagnosed by the dealer, shouldn't you only pay for what would actually be the required replacement part rather than you playing for their trial and error?
  Our dealers have O stock, so they diagnos and I do the buying and installing of parts,   I cant afford there mark up prices  400 and 500 % mark up,.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:46 AM »
Wow. That is huge markups.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 23, 2017, 04:03:50 AM »
Wow. That is huge markups.

example   ecu  $ 1189.95    dealer       powersportwarehouse    $ 245.00

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:01 AM »
That really is nuts.

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 28, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
It's not really what I've done, more what I am doing.

I'm removing the rear wheel for a tyre change later this week and I seem to have hit a snag. I've removed the muffler, brakes and all the bolts for the rear fork (including the main spindle nut and the steel spacer thing.

I seem to have done everything according to the manual and this excellent couple of videos

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11903.msg119192#msg119192

...but the rear fork seems stuck on. I can move / wiggle it around alright, but it seems to be stuck on around the rear wheel axle and there seems to be nothing else to be loosened.

Am I missing something, or do I just need to be more 'persuasive'?

Many thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »
That can be stubborn! It will take surprisingly little actual force to slide it off the bearing but it needs to slide STRAIGHT OFF. A puller is not made (that I am aware) which will grab the uneven structure but a handful of prybars will. Prying gently on one side then while maintaining that force match it directly opposite.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 28, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
It's not really what I've done, more what I am doing.

I'm removing the rear wheel for a tyre change later this week and I seem to have hit a snag. I've removed the muffler, brakes and all the bolts for the rear fork (including the main spindle nut and the steel spacer thing.

I seem to have done everything according to the manual and this excellent couple of videos

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11903.msg119192#msg119192

...but the rear fork seems stuck on. I can move / wiggle it around alright, but it seems to be stuck on around the rear wheel axle and there seems to be nothing else to be loosened.

Am I missing something, or do I just need to be more 'persuasive'?

Many thanks
Your wheel is seized on the spindle?

If it is, then you just have to soak it with WD40. Spray it in there and you'll see all the rust drip out. Keep spraying and let it soak. Just keep repeating. Also keep tugging at the wheel. Eventually it will come out.

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
Thanks guys.

Ever see those silky smooth rear wheel changes they do in endurance racing? In....a blur of airtools.....and 14 seconds later, they're screaming off down the pit lane - and that's the bikes. The cars do it in a matter of a few seconds.

Well today was nothing like that. Holy guacamole, they couldn't have made it any more awkward if they tried - and having to take the seat, seat tub and shock off completely was a pleasant twist at the end. Not.

I got the fork off (and I was forked off by that time) by employing an extremely loooong screwdriver and a hammer. Nothing too heavy y'understand, just a few taps from the other side at various strategic points.

It wasn't seized on by the way (or at least it didn't appear to be). No rust and still a large amount of grease. I just think it (the bike) wanted to ruin my holiday weekend. Mind you, at least I didn't have to go shopping with the missus.

Still, the seat tub is off and I have a new spark plug to pop in, so at least that's something.

Thanks again.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Put the back wheel on, with new rear tyre fitted. Much easier going back on than taking it off....and I'm happier now that all the bolts have been properly greased and torqued up to my satisfaction.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 04, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
My fork was stuck on my LIKE200I at tire change time.
I studied the look of things down there, went to the hardware store and bought a cheap 2-prong puller for a couple of bucks and -"Bob's Your Uncle !" off it popped. Shape of my fork made it possible. ...lucky.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
Good idea Stig. I might have a wander around our local DIY shed at the weekend and see if there's anything that could be adapted. I'm surprised there isn't a specific tool for it - not that I would buy it (expensive!), but at least I wuld try and copy it.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
After being caught in a heavy rain shower yesterday, I'm going to overcome my distaste at leg weather protectors.

Don't get me wrong, the DT has excellent weather protection (if you tuck everything in) but the main source of getting wet is actually water dripping from my visor helmet onto my legs/crotch. I have waterproof trousers for longer journeys, but they're such a pain to put on & take off. So for the short hop to and from work I was going to buy a cheap leg cover and see how I get on with it.

Anyone else use these things?

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
Today ive changed my belt to a new, only 9000km and 24mm wide but its 4-5 years old so why not 😄 The rubber maybe old.
Also changed airfilter and it was a good time to do it, dirty.
Removed a lot of grease from the clutch between the 2 bearings, i need to try because im not sure there suppose to be grease there. (As the picture shows)
Changed back from 15g Pulleys to orginal, again 😂 (great acc with Pulley but to high rpm)
Take care out there
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:14:32 PM by tvniklas »
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
TV, I meant to get back on this sooner, sorry! The grease in the tube between the bearings is no big deal as long as the seales at both ends are operational. The one next to the roller bearing is the weak one but yours looks good.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2017, 02:27:43 AM »
Sounds like you handled the situation well Snorvey. A few light taps never hurt anything. Some blokes will grab a bigger hammer if a part doesn't just fall right off for them and then wind up paying out unnecessary money for replacement parts that they've damaged.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()