Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143438 times)

donjack

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
Typical Scottish summer!! Don't forget your brolly!! Haha
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
I'll tell you what though, the lack of having to swap cogs every 2 seconds means the Downtown is the perfect bike for the narrow, twisty and undulating highland B roads.

I had a couple of sporties behind me for quite a few miles and they only got past  on a long-ish straight.

...and I was scrubbing in a new front tyre!

Good fun!

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »
I know exactly what you mean!!
Digressing slightly, a few years ago myself and son in law set off from Lancaster and travelled up the A roads to Carlisle, then onto the west coast roads, we stayed as close to the coast as possible, Dumfries, Stranraer, Ayr, Greenock over the Erskine bridge.
Once passed Dumbarton, it was pure magic!! Still sticking to the coast, North we went! Inveraray to Mallaig across to Skye, round the island and back over the bridge to Applecross and then ont Torridon.
My son in law's bike started to play up, so rather than screw it up completely, we decided to cut out the far north bit and cut across to Inverness and then down to Perth and on to Paisley, my mum and dads hoose!!
Sorry for going on!!
Yes, your absolutely right, the B roads are bloody brilliant!!
I will have to do it again before I get too old!!!! Haha

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
Digressing slightly, a few years ago myself and son in law set off from Lancaster and travelled up the A roads to Carlisle, then onto the west coast roads, we stayed as close to the coast as possible, Dumfries, Stranraer, Ayr, Greenock over the Erskine bridge.
Once passed Dumbarton, it was pure magic!! Still sticking to the coast, North we went! Inveraray to Mallaig across to Skye, round the island and back over the bridge to Applecross and then ont Torridon.
My son in law's bike started to play up, so rather than screw it up completely, we decided to cut out the far north bit and cut across to Inverness and then down to Perth and on to Paisley, my mum and dads hoose!!
Sorry for going on!!
Remember what Vivo said...No pix, it didn't happen!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
Yesterday, it was beautiful weather and I went for a ride to Peak District national park with a friend and his wife.
Photo proof for Stig attached. :)

Prior to that I installed my new st.st. top box mount.
I didn't like the original plate the box came with as it could not fasten the box properly to the scooter.
I didn't like the way it was designed to be mounted on the scooter so I designed another one and had it cut from 3mm stainless, and one of my colleagues welded it all up for me.
Stress test showed plenty strong even with 20kg load in the box. Old one allowed 5kg max. load which is a joke.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:54:38 AM by nushipwright »
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 08, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Nice job!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
Yesterday, it was beautiful weather and I went for a ride to Peak District national park with a friend and his wife.
Photo proof for Stig attached. :)

Prior to that I installed my new st.st. top box mount.
I didn't like the original plate the box came with as it could not fasten the box properly to the scooter.
I didn't like the way it was designed to be mounted on the scooter so I designed another one and had it cut from 3mm stainless, and one of my colleagues welded it all up for me.
Stress test showed plenty strong even with 20kg load in the box. Old one allowed 5kg max. load which is a joke.
Very nice - thanks for the photo!
Do you really want to carry 44 lbs up there - out there - in that case?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
No Stig, not really, but it's nice to know it's there if I ever need it kinda thing :)
Occasionally I filled it with bottled water, plus other grocery shopping stuff.
The max I probably ever put in there was about 14-15kg.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 11, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
I have placed 4 gallons of milk along with 4x2lbs blocks of cheese for at least 41+ lbs in there when shopping. I am sure I have carried more weight. This is using the Givi SR92m mount and the Beckem 46L topbox. I will attest on occasion you can feel the excess top weight of the bike but to me this is excepted. My biggest thing is to have the weight secured in that it does not move around while riding. Shifting could be a big stability issue.

Because of the topbox I have put on 2,400 miles since the last oil change mainly running around doing errands. I have saved the ecosystem from 88 gallons of expended fuel, money and emissions along with 4 quarts of oil in an oil change and wear and tare on my car. This along all the fun. You just can not beat it.

Now I will use the car when need be but I usually get 6-8 bags of groceries home on the bike.

As a side note, that plate you made is about the same effectively as the SR92. Both will carry allot of weight but agreed do not go overboard.

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
Remember what Vivo said...No pix, it didn't happen!
Stig

Got an article printed In a magazine, with a couple of pictures, I'll dig it out!!
Cheers,
Don.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »
Got an article printed In a magazine, with a couple of pictures, I'll dig it out!!
Cheers,
Don.

Can't wait to see! :)
. mostly 2up city

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
here's the proof stig! haha
i never realized it was 8 years ago, where has the time gone!!

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 12, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
Wow, donjack, that's very cool!!! Thanks for posting the article

- Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macostr

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
I just bought a new topcase, 48l Coocase Astra with brake lights and passenger's backplate. Other than that, few week ago I mounted home-made wind deflector to OEM plexi and it works excellent..no noise in my helmet up to 120kmh

Odoslané z LG-D802 pomocou Tapatalku

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
Sorry for going on!!

Well I have a day off tomorrow and the weather is looking fan-bloody-tastic. West is best and Applecross or there abouts is looking quite appealing. A pic or two and maybe even a video might even be on the cards. Watch this space!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()