Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143351 times)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »

just received my scooter tire changer from harbor freight,  it is on sale for $ 39.95 ,  it needs a mod. to make it work right., nylon grips to clamp on to the tire rim,. because the steel clamps on it will mar the alum. wheel ,.   and a center post small enough to go through the middle of the wheel,.  I would like to mod. my tire bar with a nylon tip like  NOMAR tire bar,.  so it will not scratch the wheel , 

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »
She's going for her first MOT tomorrow, so i gave her a good clean checked lights, brakes etc.
I had a bit of a clutch judder, so I stripped-down the transmission and gave it a good clean, also gave the clutch shoes a gentle rub with sandpaper.....sorted, job done!! ;D
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2015, 03:22:34 AM »
Stopped at the local truck stop and weighed my DT300. Surprised to find it registered 190 kg (215 lb). That is only with a full tank of fuel and an empty rear top case. This is a long way from the listed dry weight. Odd the difference.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
surprizing what oil , gas  and a doughnut weighs, I weighed mine and it came to 412 lb,s befor I had a top box,.    2011 300i downtown,.   

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:26 AM »
I didn't have a doughnut, but did have a coffee. Perhaps the yeast in the doughnut made it lighter!
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2015, 03:50:50 AM »

I weighed my scooter with no top box,.       my new tire changer is ready to use,  made some plugs out of maple wood to hold the rim and found a length of 1/2 inch steel rod in my garage, it fits in the center post,  through the rim,,the tire changer came with a 1 inch center post, it,s to big for my rims ,. my axel is 9/16 inch  front wheel ,.  new toy so I took my front wheel off and tried it out, it works,.wow???  not bad for $39.95, thank you harbor freight,.   

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:22 PM »
Took her for MOT yesterday, she failed due to front brake binding!! Not a problem tho', the tester went to his office and got a hammer and a piece of wood, hit the caliper a couple of times and bingo it was fixed, i have known this guy for years, so he knows im good for fixing problems, he told me to strip the caliper down and give it a good clean. When I got home, I stripped the brakes, the pin that holds the pads in place was rusted up quite bad. Gave it a good rub down, cleaned everything else, put it all back together and the wheel runs as smooth as anything now!!
So if you have any problems with binding breaks, check your pin!!
Cheers,
Don.
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:09 AM »
Had an issue yesterday with the starter switch.

It wouldn't get the starter started, hence I was stranded. Luckily the mechanical side of me kicked in and opened up the starter switch module and poked around (thank god for the tool kit under the seat).

I think the contacts for the starter switch had some dirt or corrosion so the metal parts couldn't make contact. So a quick clean with a paper towel fixed her right up.

So guys if you ever find yourself in this situation, this may be the quick fix you need!

I think when I have the time, I'll open it up again and spray a little WD40 in there.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:58 AM »
Just purchased my new Downtown today! Silver and black. Great ride so far. Have to get used to the lower height compared to my old Yager, and the need to push my feet further forward when accelerating -- never realized Idid that until now.

Heading back to the dealership tomorrow. Side-view mirrors are a mess --loose and moving out of place once I get to a higher speed. Will also order a matching top case. My wife doesn't like the feel of riding without any back support -- another thing I miss from the Yager, but the top case comes with a cushioned back support as well. May head to Sea Isle City, NJ this weekend, a one hour trip.

The digital clock is set for military time. Nothing in the Owner's Manual about that, so I'll ask the dealer if he can change it. The MODE and ADJ button game is never fun.

-Wolf

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »

Congrats Wolf on your new downtown 300i,.  I enjoy mine every time I ride!!!   should have had one 60 years ago in the service, RCAF,.   instead of cars that got 7 mpg. 

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2015, 11:37:29 PM »
Thanks De Dee,

Everything is squared away. Still can't switch from Military time on the dash to AM/PM mode, but the dealer is looking into it.
Mirrors are better, but they may have some issues at higher speeds when the wind hits them. Haven't take her out on a full
high way yet. Ordered the Top case, and my new helmet came in today. Just added some reflector tape to it since it's all black.

Does any one name their scooter?

-Wolf

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
I call all my toys 'The Bitch'.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2015, 04:13:35 AM »
I rode my DownTown in a downpour today.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »
Kneeslider -- all right, no one can top that.

Ruben,

Yeah, my DT got baptized yesterday, though it wasn't that bad. Hope you kept it upright.

-Wolf

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »
Rode from South Jersey (Philadelphia essentially) to the Jersey shore (Sea Isle city) on my new Downtown. Incredible ride! So smooth. Dealership mechanic told me to keep it around 60 mph. Had her up to 80 and didn't even know it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()