Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143344 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2015, 06:02:57 AM »
Changed the engine and gear oil. New oil filter.

Mileage now 14,000km.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
Just got a jcosta for my DT300 ,has anyone installed it before and what precautions to take during installation and what performance boost would I have with it ? ???

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
  the J costa is that the one they called putting a turbo on the scooter, does it give you high RPM on take off, and low RPM cruising,.  please let us know how it works,  I thought of those before I modded my variator, (think cheeper)   still dreaming about a turbo for the scooter,   
    300i downtown 60,000 km. still running strong,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
Just got a jcosta for my DT300 ,has anyone installed it before and what precautions to take during installation and what performance boost would I have with it ? ???

The only real difference is in the pins. Make SURE they fall into the bores. One thing that will help is to use a countersink type drill bit, and lightly chamfer the sharp edges of the bores. The edges will very quickly shave off material from the pins. That is the most common problem

Second is like any other Var. LIGHTLY grease the crank, and inside the sleeve in the var. Then wipe the grease off. You only want a film that will allow the boss to wear in evenly. if the new boss has free play on the crank or in the var do NOT use it. Any slop in that fit will equate to fast wear, and chatter in the drive line.

You can order another boss if this is the case.

Post up, and let us know how it goes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Installed the  jcosta today ,as i was waiting to received the variator holding tool ,this is how i proceeded ,after removing the two covers ,removed the variator bolt with an impact wrench ,and after having installed the jcosta , torqued back the bolt to 93 nm as per manual ,after having put back the covers went for a 10 miles ride.
First impressions: I found the initial accelaration very nippy ,and abrupt and when the scoot reaches about 60 m/ hr ,the rpm just drops by 1000 and the bike hesitates as if slipping belt and then resumes accelaration.this was my first drive ,perhaps it demands some breaking in ,anyone please give me some explantion.

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »
Also i found cruising at around 70 mile/ hr ,lower rpm than stock at around 5500-5700, my first impressions seem no loss of top speed ,but will have to do more driving to know for sure

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
It is the difference in "Roller" weight you are feeling plus the different "ramp profile.

It will take some experimenting to get the feel you want. You gan try going lighter on the pins or heavier on the control spring in the rear pulley's.

The control spring is less expensive, and in all cases that is where I would start.
Order the heaviest, and the next step down. The DT is really stiff to begin with, and I have never direct compared before , and after. Just going on what works in all CVT engines.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply ,I would perhaps drive more and put the new vario through its paces and then decide what to do further

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
With the jcosta ,initial throttle response is exhilarating,up to 100 km/h (62mile/hr).I think this is beneficial for stops at traffic lights.Would like to have more feedback from jcosta users .

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
Here an interesting thread on just this subject.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780204

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
  only 5 below C.  today,   so went out for a ride , got about 5 miles out and I see a wall of white from sky to road ,  time to head home real quick,  may be next time.,

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
Fuelled her up, and entered the data into Fuelly.
For my surprise, it showed me best mileage ever. 80.8MPG UK or 67.3MPG US or 3.5l/100km
I must note though that this was purely one up, and about 30% highway.
I'm happy, but I'm sure others have even better figures than these above.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
Changed oil at 6643 mile mark. Last change was at around 4500.
Used 5W40 Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Also replaced the oil filter. (Hiflo HF566)

After that I replaced the gear oil as  well. Used same Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil as with the last service.

I updated this post to share a photo, thinking it may be of help to others. I made up a quick filler for the gear oil. I've read somewhere to use a syringe or a soft bottle with a long nozzle so I came up with this idea.
Cut a small hole in the cap of a 0.5l bottle. Put a piece of elastic tubing through and used hot glue both inside and outside to secure the tubing in the cap. Measured the right amount of gear oil into the bottle and squeezed the oil into the gearbox very easily. Much easier than previously using a small funnel with an elastic tube on the end.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:32:30 AM by nushipwright »
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:17 PM »
  I like your bottle for the gear oil , I will make one too,.   your oil from the grocery store is made by a supplyer I wonder who, it is full syn, oil it should be good ,  what price is it,  I am switching to shell rotella T 6    5 w 40 I found some for $ 24.00 for  5 Lt.  usa price,    it is $ 56.00 here in canada, 

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
Good idea nushipwright, I'll have to get one made!!
Cheers,
Don.
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()