Author Topic: Modern Buddy Forums....  (Read 15663 times)

MassScoot

• View Profile
Modern Buddy Forums....
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
Someone on the Genuine Modern Buddy forums mentioned that the Buddy 125cc is the best "Bang for the Buck" scooter. At $2799.00 my reply was the SYM HD200 @ $3499.00 was. Some of those Buddy people are worse then the Vespa forums for crying out loud! They defend their little B125 as if it was make out of gold! Granted...They are excellent little framed scooters, but I think they are a tad expensive for what you get.

Example:

HD200 ($3499.00):

Water Cooled
15.3HP
Rear Disc Brake
16" Polished Black Alloy Rims

Buddy 125 ($2799.00):

Air Cooled
9.52HP
Rear Drum Brake
10" Steel Rims

I'm I wrong here? I think the $700.00 difference in price is beyond it's worth! Geez...having more then 50% more power is not worth it alone? You know what I love about these Kymco forums? When we talk about other scooters...we don't "freak-out" We all respect everyone's opinion! These guys "defend" their Buddy's like god himself created them! Our house (Magnolia, MA.) is one block away from the Atlantic ocean. Just how long before those 10" steel rims would be a rusty mess? Within a year! I think PGO/Genuine scooters are very, very solid with a good dealer network, but I find their line-up lacking any larger type of scooter. The Blur 220i is also a smaller-framed scooter if you ask me. I'm 6"1" 230 lbs. & they simply don't have a scooter that can fit me IMHO. 
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Buddy Forums....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »
It's natural to be a homer (routing for the home team) and say your scoot is the best there is. But it shows maturity when you can look at another product and say wow that's a good deal etc..

I've never heard of Buddy scooters and can't comment on the quality or lack there of, I'm happy with my peoples200 to this point and even found out what was causing my rattle (the windscreen was lose) so now I'm back to a silent ride with the exception of the eng which is not up to Honda standards, but then again neither is the price.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
08087: I hear you in the defense posture, but there is a point where everyone needs to look beyond their purchase IMHO. I bought a Kymco Super 8 150cc scooter & I knew it wasn't the best "bang for the buck" overall. But...the dealer was pretty close by & it cost me $2300.00! I was a "Kymco" guy & went ahead & bought it. I was thinking very hard about a Honda PCX150, but the dealer wanted over $700.00 in freight, dealer prep & documentation fees....I walked away. The PCX 150 is a great scooter & it's way @ away better then my Super 8 150, but @ what cost? I use my Super 8 150 like 4-5 times a year @ my parents home in Florida.

Genuine Scooter company is USA-based. They are made by a Taiwanese company called PGO. Their product is top-notch & is as good as any Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kymco or SYM product.

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGO_Scooters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genuine_Scooters

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:57:03 AM »
I'm a "homer', as 08's definition because my Super 8 is the best there is.... bang for the buck at 64,000 pesos or around $1,560.00 brand new and came with a free helmet and Kymco jacket!!! At present, price rose to 67,000 pesos or around $1,630.00...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:59:53 AM by Vivo »

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
I think a lot depends on the dealer, parts availability and your personal wrenching skills. We have an excellent Genuine dealer (they sell Kymco and Vespa also) and the SYM dealers have not have been quite as reliable. If you can fix it yourself and parts are available, you are golden. But most of us need a reliable dealer around for the occasional tougher issue.

So I factor that into the best value deal.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »
I wouldn't judge the Buddy folks to harshly. They are a decent bunch from what I've seen, but yes they do tend to favor the Genuine line of scooters. I for one am not a fan of the Buddy series. I wanted to like them and was even ready to buy one when my local dealer called and said the 170 series was back in stock. But seeing one and getting on one told me right away that the Buddy was not for me. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam so I'm not tall by any stretch of the imagination. Still I find the Buddy too small for me. My size 10 shoe just fit the length of the riding board, but I digress.

MassScoot your point is well taken and I believe your assessment of the SYM is spot on.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
The whole, long, painful episode with Carter Brothers has really put SYM in a bad bind in the U.S., which is unfortunate. They make a great product, and I hope Alliance is up-to-speed, now (been out of the business end of scooters for 18 months or so... about the time they were starting to bring in product). SYM was up in the air in the U.S. for so long, it will take a while for consumer trust to build back up. I personally would wait five years before looking at SYM, again, just to see how well Alliance handles parts and warranty service issues.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Trout: There are many immature posters in Modern Buddy. I never said one thing bad about the Buddy 125, if anything I spoke praise for the little scooter. I just mentioned that I didn't care for the smaller frame & the 10" rims & that I thought the SYM HD200 was the "best bang for the buck" All hell broke loose over there. I guess one can't posts there own thoughts over there? I'm 6'1" & 230 lbs. I would look like an idiot on a B125 & I wear a 12 foot shoe! I also sat on the B125 & it's simply way too small for me.

JP: SYM has a way to go, but I think they'll make a comeback. As you mentioned, the manufacture a real solid scooter & they are priced well @ this point. If anything, I have heard some horror stories about parts availability & the price. One guy needed a new carburetor (for an HD200) & he was quoted over $400.00 from the dealer. I found this on the SYM HD200 forums. Alliance needs to relax it's parts for online dealers if you ask me. From want I gather (aside from the parts), SYM has been great about honoring their warranty issues.     

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
In our country, the best bang for the buck bike would be the Kymco Visa R 110cc... at $900.00 you can't go wrong with your purchase.... very fuel efficient, fast, good looking, parts are available, it's made in Taiwan, etc. but people don't buy them.... one reason is the lack of aftermarket performance parts and accessories...  people like to "dress up" their ride and do some mods and there are a lot of accessories and stuff that just won't fit the Kymco... Hondas and Chinese Honda clones are at the top of the list... Market demand dictates what will sell and not even the best featured scoot can compete with that... 

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
In our country, the best bang for the buck bike would be the Kymco Visa R 110cc... at $900.00 you can't go wrong with your purchase.... very fuel efficient, fast, good looking, parts are available, it's made in Taiwan, etc. but people don't buy them.... one reason is the lack of aftermarket performance parts and accessories...  people like to "dress up" their ride and do some mods and there are a lot of accessories and stuff that just won't fit the Kymco... Hondas and Chinese Honda clones are at the top of the list... Market demand dictates what will sell and not even the best featured scoot can compete with that...

Vivo: That is insane for a Taiwanese-built 110cc scooter. I think it reminds me a little of the People S150 in a way.

http://www.kymco.com/product/overview.asp?MotorCTID=57DBC156-10E7-44A6-99B9-79748EB640BB

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

So how much for you to pack one up and ship it to me here in NJ? Hell just take it packed and ship it as is and we'll save some  money.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:03 AM »
When the Chinese clones invaded our country, all the big brands were just stunned with the low prices and had no choice but to lower, I mean, super lower their prices down to 30-40%...With the prices of Honda down, Kymco is again affected... Honda's cheapest bike costs around 1,300 dollars and that is a Honda.   Kymco is still not a popular brand and is still introducing new products to the market and this Visa R is a model that they are introducing to the masses just like Sym's Bonus X.  Competition here is very stiff and would be a nightmare for a new brand.... and in fairness to the Chinese crap, a lot of them now are not "crap" anymore....a lot have learned their lessons and quality is improving....    and with a 0 down payment, 0 interest, on-time payments rebates, freebies, etc... I don't know if Kymco can keep up.... 

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:05 AM »
Some prefer small scooters no matter what or what size person they are. I've heard it said scooters are about how small one can be and suit your needs, while motorcycles are about how big and fast they can be. Some scooterists who also ride cycles see no use for a big wheeled scooter all other things being equal. It's no big deal. Next time post at a SYM forum. Usually the scooters we prefer or defend are the ones we ride. So MB members will be partial. Some are better left ignored. But that is par for the course at most all forums.

As you know different scooters for different tasks.

The answer to any "bang for the buck" question is get both. Honestly after riding a bit who has just one scooter or motorcycle? And they're inexpensive enough so what the hell.

I ride an Agility 125 and find it roomier than a Burgman, Downtown, a CityCom and HD200. Size 13 feet, here. It's just perfect. So there you go :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:32:31 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
Vivo: That's a great position to be in. Honda's that get discounted? Not to say it doesn't happen here, just that it's not the "norm" We simply don't have enough scooter riders here in the USA for the amount of people that reside here. We are the land of taxes & fees! Maybe we aren't as bad as Europe @ this point. Why isn't Kymco more popular there? Do you guys get Italian scooters like Piaggio/Vespa?

Mr. Kymco: I hear you on the MB forums, just that some of the people could act with a little more class. One guy mentioned he was 6'3" 230+ lbs. & we wouldn't trade his Buddy 125 for anything. That's fine & I'm cool with that, just that he must look a little silly with his frame on a B125! Hell...I sat on a the B125 & I'm 6'1" 230 lbs. & said to myself "No way is this suited for me" My feet could barley fit on the floorboard! I think the Buddy 125 is a wonderful scooter & it's reliable as hell. But...I can't get over those steel rims & 10" wheels. You're correct...Everyone has their likes & dislikes, no question. The Agility 125 is really the "best bang of the buck" overall IMHO. Yes...She isn't the prettiest scooter in the stable, but @ appx. $1800.00 she is hard to beat. The Agility 125 is the poster child for the word "Spartan" but it's reliable & one solid scooter.

I went back & forth between the Agility 125 & the Super 8 150 for my Florida purchase to leave @ my parents home. I simply love larger tires & the "look" of the Super 8. Speed wise they are almost the same. The Agility does have a nice large floorboard!     

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
MassScoot:  Even before I came to this world, motorcycles are already used as transportation especially for the masses and when you say motorcycles... it's Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. That is one reason...  Another is that Kymco mostly are famous for their scooters and people here are not used to belts running their bikes... they want chains.... they are afraid of belts, they might just snap anytime.. difficult to remove and install.... scooter tires are expensive and also difficult to install...scooters also consume more gas compared to the "underbones" and "Cubs". Reliability-wise, cubs/underbones (as we call them) are faster, cheaper, cheaper to maintain, consumes lesser gas, lots of after market accessories and performance parts, has an AC-CDI that can run without a battery or weak battery, and it has a chain...

This is the cheapest Honda... costs around $1,300.00... at more than 150 miles to a gallon, no scooter can beat that...

http://www.hondaph.com/showcase/wave-100
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:56:39 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()