Author Topic: Modern Buddy Forums....  (Read 15662 times)

MassScoot

• View Profile
Re: Modern Buddy Forums....
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
Vivo: I really enjoy reading your posts! They are super informative. Interesting about the motorcycle vs. scooter scenario. Makes sense too my in regards to the "UnderBones/Cubs" Plus...They are inexpensive. I just did a quick conversion from the Philippine Peso to the US Dollar ($53,700.00=$1,300.64) @ todays rates. So...you were "dead-on" with the price. That's real short money! Hell...The closes we have is the SYM Symba 100cc @ $2399.00

http://alliancepowersports.com/sym-symba-100/specifications.html

Scooters are usually 95% cheaper here in the US. I can see why more people buy the Cubs then scooters. 
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
The closes we have is the SYM Symba
And a few underbone China clones:
BMS Bi Metro 110cc
Roketa 112 50cc
Roketa 114 50cc
SSR Lazer 50cc
with operational pedals

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:25 AM »
Thanks MassScoot...it's nice to share information... Yes, the SYM Symba.. this is the retro type just like the original Honda Cub... again, retros are not salable in our country unlike in other parts of the world... the only popular retro scoot here is the new Yamaha Fino and the old Honda Joker.... most people prefer the Sporty types like this Kymco Jetix ... it's 125cc, mono shock, sporty design... and fast... also a lot cheaper than your Symba... 

The new Yamaha Fino......   you buy it bare.... then dress it up....

the old Honda Joker

There was a time in the 90's where used scooters from Japan made their way here illegally thru the back door. They became popular in the provinces and rural areas because most of them don't have legal papers.... they died a natural death because of lack of or expensive parts... most are Honda Dio's and Yamaha Jogs...

Used scooters from Japan..... you can get one for around $200.00

@tortoise... I had a Chinese clone before... the Chunlan CL-100... very good chinese clone, never failed me.... I traded it for a labrador dog... and upgraded to a Kymco...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:30:37 AM by Vivo »

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
When the Chinese clones invaded our country, all the big brands were just stunned with the low prices and had no choice but to lower, I mean, super lower their prices down to 30-40%...With the prices of Honda down, Kymco is again affected... Honda's cheapest bike costs around 1,300 dollars and that is a Honda.   Kymco is still not a popular brand and is still introducing new products to the market and this Visa R is a model that they are introducing to the masses just like Sym's Bonus X.  Competition here is very stiff and would be a nightmare for a new brand.... and in fairness to the Chinese crap, a lot of them now are not "crap" anymore....a lot have learned their lessons and quality is improving....    and with a 0 down payment, 0 interest, on-time payments rebates, freebies, etc... I don't know if Kymco can keep up....

This happened with bicycles also. First the hot ones came from Europe and Great Britian (Peugot), then Japan (Bridgestone, Myata), then outsourced to Taiwan. The big three growth countries are South Korea, China and India.   I think their strategy with the Agility 125 is good, produce it in China at lower cost with Kymco keeping a watchful eye on quality. I just got a Chinese cruiser style tandem bicycle with shimano drop shipped to my house last year for $267. Actually the quality is OK and it's a heck of a deal for the price.

I think with the price of productio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
I have found the folks on the Modern Buddy forum to be very similar to the folks here: very helpful and gracious. There are some who are fiercely loyal to the brand, just like here. I thought the Buddy 150 was a well-made scoot but it was not for me that's why I picked the Kymco Yager. The Buddy 150 was not suitable for the kind of riding we do. Long distances with pets and gear and that is why we got a Like 200i for her replacing the Buddy. A guy in Nashville bought her Buddy and I expect he will get many years of fine service from it and enjoy it well.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
This happened with bicycles also. First the hot ones came from Europe and Great Britian (Peugot), then Japan (Bridgestone, Myata), then outsourced to Taiwan. The big three growth countries are South Korea, China and India.   I think their strategy with the Agility 125 is good, produce it in China at lower cost with Kymco keeping a watchful eye on quality. I just got a Chinese cruiser style tandem bicycle with shimano drop shipped to my house last year for $267. Actually the quality is OK and it's a heck of a deal for the price.

I think with the price of productio

Not only bikes and scoots my friend... all products.. appliances, electronics, apparels, even cars.... U.S. brands or Japanese brands have factories in China...   

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:56:25 AM »
Not only bikes and scoots my friend... all products.. appliances, electronics, apparels, even cars.... U.S. brands or Japanese brands have factories in China...
Some of that may switch back to the US at some point based on the costs of transportation, production cost and labor. In the US, production is becoming more sophisticated, my kid was looking at getting a manufacturing engineering degree. Don't know if that will help manufacturing workers however. Plus eventually everyone will use the technology.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 05:16:40 AM »
Some of that may switch back to the US at some point based on the costs of transportation, production cost and labor. In the US, production is becoming more sophisticated, my kid was looking at getting a manufacturing engineering degree. Don't know if that will help manufacturing workers however. Plus eventually everyone will use the technology.

Labor? how can you beat Chinese labor? Some factories in China pay as low as 25 U.S. cents a day... I know, because I deal with a lot of Chinese companies... and above all, they don't have labor Unions!...     Minimum wage in my country is around 10 U.S. dollars a day... 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:49:56 AM by Vivo »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
I've been to their forum and have rec'd encouraging and polite replies. ANY scooter site that talks to all of us is good with me.
Re. the comments about being too big for a Buddy - man, I spent a couple of weeks trying to convince those around me that a Honda Metropolitan would be great for me & my small town, inner city needs. But at 6'2", 250 lbs, I could not find any encouragement -except from a fellow I met on youtube who takes his Metro camping in the high country of Calif. - with a full load of gear and some little blinker add-on lights for safety. He said to "go for it!" , that I was not too big for the Metro - and at $1000 less than my Like LX I surely came close to springing for that Honda quality & reputation. The seat was better, too! I think this Like 200i will not be my last scooter.

I just enjoy the heck out of all vintage looking scooters - and those Italian copy colors are so classy on some of those brands!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »
Labor? how can you beat Chinese labor?
With a fully automated factory line. Then you have all quality and no labor. The 3d printed scooter is coming  :o
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:25:14 PM by vespa50sp »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
With a fully automated factory line. Then you have all quality and no labor. The 3d printed scooter is coming  :o

And who will finance the automated factory? the Chinese? Lol! Anyway, I really want to see this coming...  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()