Author Topic: Just purchased Like 50 2T, looking to MOD OUT!  (Read 18837 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: Just purchased Like 50 2T, looking to MOD OUT!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
Mille grazie. I've been doing some research and collecting infos, so it's nice to share when able.
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
wass, you're a boss! Thanks for all that info, you're awesome!

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
It's an awful lot to digest, but some of it I wish I had when I was just embarking on my scooterist adventures.
I don't have the practical knowledge some of these other cats have (yet), but I can at least pass on some knowledge while I am doing my own research. Heck, I only just delved into my own clutch and variator about a week ago for the first time.
But, knowledge IS power and there is much info lacking on this particular model. The more we do to and learn from our scoots, the more we can pass on, both successes and failures, for the next person. Too, shared knowledge is doubly powerful.
Always bear in mind that no 2 scoots are going to give the same end-result, even if they were assembled one after the other at the factory, but there are some fortunate commonalities.
I dig my little Silent Sport, but am interested to find out what an expansion chamber does for this model. Def keep the forum updated with your progress!
Oh, and as to technical manuals:
In the Like 50 heading of the forum, I linked to a 50/125 manual. Some of the info in it is golden, but many of the pics are exclusive to the 125, fyi
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
In doing some further research, Scooter Invasion (an excellent forum in its' own right - def check it out) has a great entry about set-up profiles with good infos on recommended set-ups with different cylinders/exhausts/carbs.
http://www.scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253
sans scooter, rien

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »
Yep!

They are actually based in my town. I think local members still meet monthly too.

To be honest I kinda forgot about Scooter Invasion. Zombie and Areomyst are members. I think I am too  :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:46:31 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
I sure am!  :D

I never posted anything though
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
In doing my own carb research, I am beginning to wonder if, regardless of the size I end up with, I shouldn't look into an aftermarket intake manifold. I haven't measured the diameter of the stock one, but I'm thinking it is likely smaller (i.e. restricted) than older versions of this Kymco engine.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
SI is great, though much of what I read there is way beyond my capabilities. Still learn a thing or two, though.
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
Interesting, wassonii. One thing I realized a few days ago that's odd is that the CDI is not restricted on this bike at all, despite that all versions of this engine's use has had one in the past. It seems like the Like 50 is their first bike that uses a combination of restrictions besides CDI to slow it down out of the box, and even with the factory derestrictions it's not gone as fast as many of Kymco's others using the same engine would derestricted. It makes sense, too, that the intake manifold could be one aspect.

Been reading a lot of conflicting evidence for plug chops, but I found a really cool app for the iPhone that allows you to secure the device in the vehicle and do test runs to determine tuning efficiency. Dynolicious. Apparently it's nearly as good as an actual dyno and it's only $13. There are other comparable apps for the Android market, too. Wouldn't this work pretty well to dial in the right jets later on, as you know it's running at the right fuel ratio when it's at top performance (and this can measure performance much more accurately than we can through subjective methods).

Also besides the weights, immediately I'm not going to do any modifications. I'm still only at 400 miles and need to break the engine in more before I start pushing it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:25:30 PM by Psuffix »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »
Not the first. My 2010 People 2t has no rev limiter(CDI restriction). Was also very restricted in other ways.

Tuning requires knowledge, keen eyes, ears, and ability to just feel how the engine is running. Experience is everything. I doubt a smartphone app can replace those things. Could be cool to play with though  :)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
Two links regarding plug chops that I have found helpful are:
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Plug_chop
and
http://battlescooter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Tuning&action=display&thread=299

With regard to the cdi, the jury is still out as to whether there is any restriction to it on these machines. The company line is, as you noted, that they are not. At the very least, the thought is that the curve is somewhat retarded. Offered through racing planet is an "unrestricted" version of our cdi, but there are other things I need to pay for before shelling out to try it out.
The app does sound cool, just make sure to have a case for the phone before trying it out, lest grease get in your ear:)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:23 PM »
Bunches of stuff...  "Zombie and Areomyst are members."  Areo owns the SI forum, and a business called "The Scooter Garage". He keeps the two separate, and I respect the HELL out of the guy for all he does for us. Areo has access to some of the worlds best tuners, and he always has a positive view point. I trust his advice.
As for the restricted cdi... There is no "rev limiter" on the People/S9/whatever model. They use a retarded timing curve that kicks in at approx 8k rpm. The same rpm that most after market pipes hit. Malossi makes a replacement cdi that is expensive, and addresses the issue but only till 9k rpm. Their cdi will let a pipe work but not for long. The only true "de-restriction" is using a custom programmable cdi, and that is only needed if you are nuts for a few more top end mph. $300-600.00 nuts.
The 13.00 "dyno app" can be made with a stop watch, and a stripe on the road. Crap!
I like the idea of tweaking the intake... That's the biggest design flaw on the engine. Unfortunately to re-work that takes some fab skills, and a welder. Lots of guys cut larger pipe, and weld it to the flanges of the OEM intake. If there is a better store made intake... IDK.
The only issue in tuning the Peop/S9 is the lack of parts for that Specific engine. There is some good stuff avail. but not alot of choices, and the intake has always been the weakest link. Perhaps you can find another model scoot that has one to adapt, and share it with us!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
Alright fellas, looks like I have a problem. Just arrived at work after riding six miles and it cut off as soon as I stopped and won't start. Battery is fine, kick start wouldn't work either. Tried using full throttle to clear the carb to no avail, let it cool down and it's still not starting. Never got the chance to adjust the idle screw and I did ride in rain last night, but it was fine on the way, riding nicely. I'm going to be here for the next eight or ten hours before I can start trying to figure out what's wrong, but I need it to get home   :'(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
Check for spark, and then a compression test. Most auto parts will "rent" a compression tester for a few dollars. You need to be over 120psi for it to run. At 90psi it may fire but will not run. Below 90psi... nothing.

Hate to say ... Check the Kill switch!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:28 PM »
Hate to say ... Check the Kill switch!

Yep! That's the last thing the dealer mechanic said to me as I rolled off the lot. I thought "I know that". But he was right I've done it a few times.

If that's not it, I'm willing to bet the plug wire popped off the plug. Gotta be something stupid  :)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()