Author Topic: Givi V46 Box Mount to Xciting 500Ri  (Read 6272 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Givi V46 Box Mount to Xciting 500Ri
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
E-Mailed a couple places about mounting hardware for the GIVI V46 Box. One reply was, I need a SR89 kit at $116.00. GIVI replied, I need a SR91 at $140.00.
I looked at some diagrams as to the mounting and first off didn't care for the vertical supports and 2nd, not sure if I am capable of mounting it myself from the looks of the way the vertical supports are mounted. Does anyone have experience with this attachment type and if so, will this look sort of cheap with those uprights? I had it mounted on my 300i and it didn't need the uprights therefore didn't look at all bad. This V46 is not cheap and I hope I can justify mounting it the way I see outlined in a small diagram. Appreciate your comments.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Givi V46 Box Mount to Xciting 500Ri
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
Forget about how it looks (I see people bitchin' about those vertical supports on all forums and all bikes), it's supposed to
be there to keep your topcase on your bike - if you care about that.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
They are there to support the box and keep it from bouncing around. Not nice looking, but heavy duty. I have a SHAD 45 or 46 box. And it's mounting kit or plate is much more clean looking. I did not buy shad for that reason, the reason was the price. Givi makes some real good stuff, but the prices have gone through the roof. :o Google shad and you can see what I mean about how clean the box and mounting plate look. :-*

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
No need to google much, kymcousa.com has the SHAD info there for years.

I've also got Shad mount and topcase (top of the line stuff) on my DT300 and wouldn't buy
Givi even if it cost the same as SHAD.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
I went with the ugly, heavy duty, GIVI setup simply because I already had a big givi box.  I'm not entirely thrilled with it. 

Quite frankly, I have a concern on how to get to the rear turnsignals should I ever need to replace a bulb.  One look at the supports and I wonder If I'm going to have to disassemble half the bike just to get the rear cover off.

Anyhow, I've seen some Xcitings where they just mount the givi plate without the supports.  I personally wouldn't do that for fear that the whole mess will fall off when you hit a good bump with a loaded box.  Yesterday I stopped by Walmart and had to buy a big box of cat litter.  That weighed 9.7kg which is something like 20lbs?  That kind of weight already is beyond the 5kg load limit of the monolock boxes.  I wouldn't even attempt it without the beefier supports.

If I ever go to a different box, SHAD or COOCASE will get a serious look.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:06:42 PM by desliderman »

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »
Of course I ordered the mounting hardware but I've been looking for a pix or diagram as to how those uprights are mounted/attached. The upper area is shown ok but wondering if anyone has or knows of a pix/diagram of the support mounting. Hey, I know it is the safe more secure way of mounting the box so I am not complaining about how it looks..I merely commented about it. As for the GIVI Box, I'll defend this one vs the other ones....I purchased a SHAD much earlier and returned it for a GIVI. For my Camera gear and many other items plus it being a carry away case I'll stick with it. I guess we get what we pay for even though the GIVI is expensive...I'll stick.!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »
I agree with Syl. I think the plastic of the Givi is thicker than that of the Shad. And the mount is stronger. If money was no object I may have went with the Givi set up just because it is more heavy duty. But really the Shad is just fine for my use as the heavyest thing I put in it is my jacket and or wifes purse. Mine has a back rest and seems heavy duty enough for my wife to lean back against. So I am happy with the Shad. :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »
Went to RevZilla.com site and looked over the info. they have on the V46. I read before that a brake light kit can be put into the V46 but didn't know the particulars. Was interesting to hear another version of this unit and what the light kit does. The circular reds on the box become the brake lights once wired to the existing brake light wiring and a inside lid light can be installed also. Not knowing of other sites, I E-Mailed RevZilla asking about this wiring to the X500. I am interested in this box light ability. I know there are others out there that are mechanically and electrically inclined and wired L.E.D's to their units and ended up making a great light look to the back of their scooters. I am a "Scooter Rooter" so I am learning on here all the time!!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
Received the mounting hardware today for the V46, doesn't look difficult other than knowing what would be the proper way in pulling the bolt out of the upper shocks to mount the flat end support bars. I guess I should go to the service department to inquire whether these particular bolts have pressure torque & is there compression or such that would pop loose in taking out the bolts. The seat (saddle) has to be opened completely by removing the hydraulic arm and than the saddle rear boot which exposes the battery area and the wheel area. Other than this connection to the upper shock mount, it doesn't look too difficult. I mentioned about ordering the light kit for the V46 round lights, I received the info on that and I don;t think I'll tackle that one myself. All one needs is a professional mechanics tool set and a degree in mechanical engineering.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »
I went with the ugly, heavy duty, GIVI setup simply because I already had a big givi box.  I'm not entirely thrilled with it. 

Quite frankly, I have a concern on how to get to the rear turnsignals should I ever need to replace a bulb.  One look at the supports and I wonder If I'm going to have to disassemble half the bike just to get the rear cover off.

Anyhow, I've seen some Xcitings where they just mount the givi plate without the supports.  I personally wouldn't do that for fear that the whole mess will fall off when you hit a good bump with a loaded box.  Yesterday I stopped by Walmart and had to buy a big box of cat litter.  That weighed 9.7kg which is something like 20lbs?  That kind of weight already is beyond the 5kg load limit of the monolock boxes.  I wouldn't even attempt it without the beefier supports.

If I ever go to a different box, SHAD or COOCASE will get a serious look.

the givi set up looks better if the box is not in use. I can put 25lb dog food in my e36

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
In looking over the diagrams to install the V46 GIVI Box...forget it....they are terrible and don't show how it is to hook up to the X500. The upright support bars have to be connected to the top of the shock mounts and a special tool would be needed to do so. You have to keep looking over the diagram to figure out where parts go & it just doesn't show how. If I knew this and didn't have a GIVI Box to begin with, I would have never used this particular brand. I can't believe they GIVI ships this hardware out without the sufficient diagrams etc. for the X500, 2012. I am very disturbed with this and went to the service dept. asking them if they can mount the rods for me and I'll wing through the rest of it...... hopefully. D_ _ _.....

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
I E-Mailed GIVI USA relating to them the "terrible" instructions on hooking their hardware SR91 that was shipped to my dealer to me for the Xciting 500Ri. I hope to hear from them and asked that they have their Tech people correct these diagrams and instructions being I will be stuck with a expensive GIVI box and their mounting hardware. Needless to say, I might be stuck with this of which I hope to relate that is will be corrected.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
What do you nees help with? I installed mine myself.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
htcneil2, thanks for your response to my posts. Of course I have the Xciting 500 Ri, 2012. The diagrams reads for 300i and 500i but on one also includes yr 2009. I specified 2012 and the kit SRI91 but this setup is incorrect. If you have a later listed set of diagrams please let me know. If you have a different year Xciting 500 Ri the set ups are different. The worse part is getting under to mount the upright rods to the upper shock mount. diagram shows it view-able from the inside being the inside saddle can be removed...not on the 2012. The plate support mounts have insufficient wording, diagram or parts. if you have a diagram for specifically a 2012 Xciting 500Ri I would greatly appreciate copies of them. Haven't heard from GIVI USA yet but we know how things like this go. Even if service mounts the upright rods the plate should already be on but all bolts etc. left loose and tightened all at one when all is in place. They can't install all due to all of the above diagrams. If this is a new GIVI Box and mount it would all be shipped back.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »
htcneil, did you look over my previous post with one of the diagrams?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()