Author Topic: Do i need a bigger main jet?  (Read 16430 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Do i need a bigger main jet?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »
You are lean at wot so stay off that. Try lifting your needle a notch to see.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
...these needles have no notches...

..ssso...

..how long did you run that plug for the chop?

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 07:18:01 AM »
Im going to phone around and try get a 115 & 120 jet this morning locally. If i cant get one by lunchtime then i'll have to order online again and wait till fri to fit it, if i find one today i can try it tonite.

..how long did you run that plug for the chop?
Guess i ran about 7-8 mile prob, i was enjoying myself so stayed out.

Thought it looked a little lean myself but its defo getting closer now. I might tape a little of the filter off going home and see how it feels, ran good this morn but i can feel its not 100% yet, feels about 94.82%.  :D

Shops open in just over an hr so ill hit the phone then.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
Can you believe NO bike or scooter shops have any jets to suit me  :-\

Going to have to order online tonite.

Managed to get a 3/64 drill bit which is the same as a 1.2mm drill so i driled out an old jet to that giving me a 120 jet. Tried it and its way rich.

So now i know the 110 is to lean and 120 is too rich, guessing a 112 maybe about right so im going to order 112 & 114 just in case.

Who says this scootering lark is easy  ???

Covered about 1/4 of the filter and running a 110 tomorrow so i can see if that makes it sit richer.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
The 112 & 114 jets that i ordered arrived but when i went to fit them today i see theyre a slightly bigger body so wont fit  :-\ Bummer.

Just refitted my stock air box and 82 jet cos im getting annoyed with it now and spent too much time and money on it, may go back to it later.

Tbh i dont think i would get much gain apart from in noise even when i get it set up right. I do like the noise, apart from at 6:30am when im trying to go to work without waking up the street, but apart from feeling faster and sportier i doubt my performance is actually any better. It actually feels so much happier and runs so much better going back to stock. Maybe leave it till i get my Vespa finished then when i got more time try jetting again.

For the cash i spent on jets and the filter i couldve just gone and ordered up a new Multivar kit  >:(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:38:58 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
N00b question about jets.  Does the main jet suck fuel from the float bowl in to the throttle body, or does it squirt fuel into the float bowl?

We need more power for getting up hills.  I have the 82 jet sitting here, but am thinking of ordering a 84 or 85.  If I go with a higher jet, is there a simple replacement for the stock air filter that I can put in the stock air box.  Just kicking around ideas.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »
All jets suck... Injectors squirt.For hills a 1000-1500 contra spring is the cure. Jetting is for rpms/overall slight power increase
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
N00b question about jets.  Does the main jet suck fuel from the float bowl in to the throttle body, or does it squirt fuel into the float bowl?

We need more power for getting up hills.  I have the 82 jet sitting here, but am thinking of ordering a 84 or 85.  If I go with a higher jet, is there a simple replacement for the stock air filter that I can put in the stock air box.  Just kicking around ideas.

..main jet ...squirts fuel into carb's airstream, from the bowl..by means of a vacuum created by the engines intak...

..doos it sucks or doos it blows??
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:13:21 AM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:53 AM »
..80, 82..85...100..110..there is NO MAGIC#...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2012, 06:19:45 AM »
All jets suck... Injectors squirt.For hills a 1000-1500 contra spring is the cure. Jetting is for rpms/overall slight power increase

Ok thanks, I was thinking of replacing the stock clutch springs with 1500RPM since he is 180 pounds / 82 kilograms.  The stock clutch springs must be very weak since when the bike is on the stand at idle the rear wheel starts to spin slowly. Do the clutch and contra springs need to have the same RPM rating?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
Its normal for the wheel to spin on the stand at start up since the choke should kick in and raise the rpm's till its warmed up a bit. Once the choke cuts off the wheel should stop spinning, if it doesnt then just turn down the idle screw a little till it does. I set my idle at 1650-1750rpm.

The clutch springs can be swapped for whatever rpm you want and dont need to match. I use 1500 clutch and 1500 contra/torque which means i rarely drop below 30mph up any hill unless its way steep.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
How would you guys read this plug tip below? I thought a little rich?

Been up and down jet sizes yesterday again trying to get this filter dialed in correctly. Before 110 looked a little lean but 120 was too rich by a long way. Got a 112, 114, 116 jet and tried 114 1st which was too rich and sooty still. Next tried the 112 since previously 110 was lean but it felt a little lumpy and boggy at WOT, better than the 114 but worse than my stock box and 82 jet?

Ended up i went up and down and tried from 102-108 too, 102 is in it now and this is how my plug comes out which is weird as before a 110 was lean ??? WTF is going on here ???

Left the 102 in and rode to work, seemed ok but im losing power, more noticed when i hit a hill. I drop about 2-5mph up steep hills compared to my 82 jet and stock box filter?

Heres the plug on the 102 i think it was, maybe 104, i swapped that many times i lost track yesterday with the pics lol.

Going to recheck tonight once im home and see how it looks after todays run.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:55:08 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
Ignore the tan colour on the insulator, that was just from dirt etc not burning.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
A shoot from the hip could be, that the big amount of fuel from the bigger jets cools the engine so much, that it cant do a full combustion of the fuel, while the smaller jets lets the engine hit higher temperatures, so it will show that they are too lean.? :S
I'm not sure at all but do you know if your engine gets very hot with the lean jet sizes and not so hot with the bigger jet sizes? :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
A shoot from the hip could be, that the big amount of fuel from the bigger jets cools the engine so much, that it cant do a full combustion of the fuel, while the smaller jets lets the engine hit higher temperatures, so it will show that they are too lean.? :S
I'm not sure at all but do you know if your engine gets very hot with the lean jet sizes and not so hot with the bigger jet sizes? :D
I dont have a temp gauge so i dont know if it gets hotter. Im going to have a look tonight and see how the plug looks after doing 20miles today. Im uphill on the way home and i know what speeds i average on the route so i can better gauge the performance, or lack of it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()