Author Topic: venox running rich  (Read 5204 times)

max oradea

• View Profile
venox running rich
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »
hi i have a venox show room bike from 2004 got it with 190km on the clock and now it should have around 3000km, i am the 1st real owner. the bike is running rich, and would foul plugs. the mixture screw on both front and rear carbs. are all the way in. whats the next thing i should check? Carbs stripped and cleaned 3 times already... but did not use carb cleaner, only compressed air. i have ordered new air filters which are on there way from Taiwan. i was thinking that it might be the paper air filter sitting there for 7 years already being totally blocked. at the 1st 2000km it was ok kind of and then at the last few 1000km it started to get it real rich in gas.
Oh dear forgot the intro: Hi everyone i am Max. Born in Taiwan, spent my teens in UK and now in Romania and soon to be Canadian.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: venox running rich
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »
 paper air filter sitting there for 7 years already being totally blocked.              YUP!
Welcome aboard "traveler"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
took me a long time to get to this conclusion. but i dont get it. should the engine still run if the idle mixture screw are turned in full? arr we will see when the filters been replaced.
ok so the engine will start without the choke even in the cold starts...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
I am 99% certain your carbs use air adjusters for the idle mix. Turning them all the way in will en richen the mix giving the same effect as having the choke on. Are the adjuster screws closer to the air filter side of the carb or the engine side?
Try turning them 1 1/2  thru 2 1/2 turns out. The bike should run in that range.
First thing get new spark plugs, in line fuel filters, and air filters. With these installed, and the screws set correctly the bike should start/run.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
the idle mixture screw are at the engine side. i had thought it was an air screw also... my last honda had an airscrew. so i think it should be the air filter, when i got the first 1000~2000km ran without any fouling problems and i was letting the bike to run 3 to 5 min on idle during the morning to heat up the engine for break in... even then had no fouling problems. and after 2000km it really started to foul up. well the air filter will arrive in this week i hope. and i have a set of ngk iridium plugs in there now. if it is the air filter problem then they should just need a light clean and the running mixture should clean them up again.
Zombie am i right about the idle mixture screw being a fuel mixture screw? i might be wrong and not know so please correct me i am wrong thank you. i read somewhere that if its closer to the airbox then its an air screw, if close to the float chamber or engine side then its a fuel mixture screw. a diagram of the carb should not be too hard to find online please have a look at it and tell me what you think. thanks again.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
Yeah, what you have are fuel adjustment screws. Can you clean the plug tip w/ a small stainless brush, or Emory paper or whatever to try to start the engine? I 'm saying.. With the air box off, and the mix screws turned out 1 /12 - 2 1/2 turns the engine should fire.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
ya for sure will give that i try. the bike starts but will cut out with wet plugs... it is a bit under 0 degrees here right now. so will fit the air filter and set the settings to stock when it gets a little bit warmer. do you have any ideas of how to measure the Rev. to set the idle speed? there is no tech on the venox.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
you can buy a cheap inductive tach. for around 30 bucks U.S. or just set it by ear. Once you get it started turn the mix screw until you get the fastest idle you can. Turn down the rpms using the idle adj. screw, and repeat. Once you get the fastest/best idle mix, turn the same screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise. That is your final setting. Use the speed screw to set rpms.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_nkw=inductive+tachometer

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »
thanks i will look into it. i have thought of using an optic tech for propellers and just point it at the head light... in theory it should work. anyways 1st have to see if the filter resolves everything! will post back as soon as i get it fitted for a test run. i read on somewhere someone also had a similar problem with the bike running rich and cutting out.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »
If you paint a black stripe on the fan your Tach may pick up better there. I am guessing you mean the Nitro radio control engine props.
There are hundreds of posts w/ similar problems. They ALWAYS get sorted out

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
I don't think the screw should be in all the way. Air filter was the first thing I thought before even reading anything besides the subject header.
I replaced the air filter on my 2 year old, 30,000 km Venox. It needed it.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »
ok i read a little about the paper air filters. running the engine does use life of it but leaving it just to sit in open air takes a lot more life out of it, so you 2 years v.s my 7 year old unused filter... i think if you changed yours in 2 years my is done done!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
DONE! They get mold/mildew that blocks the air flow

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
alright the filters arrived today, just got them... ordered 2 just incase. will strip the carbs and give everything a real clean on Saturday, got new slow jets and pilot screws... fingers crossed... but do you guys think i should just put on the new filter and give it a go? or should i go for the full strip since its a new season... and have to do it anyways before the season really starts...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:32:20 AM »
Take it apart, and THOROUGHLY clean it. NO DOUBT

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()