Author Topic: Tires  (Read 17351 times)

scolburn79

• View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »
I just looked it up. The stock wheel has a side wall of 96mm and the 140/70 is like you said at 98mm. On this calcultaor I'm looking at though everything in difference wise is all under 1% difference from rolling diameter:- current wheel 547.60mm new wheel 551.60mm, circumference:- current wheel 1720.34mm new wheel 1732.90mm, Revolution/km:- current wheel 581.28 new wheel 577.07.  Their is also a small difference in speedo readings. At 104km/hr the actual speed is 105.37km/hr.

I am only new to the scooters so please don't think I am trying to tell you hpw it is. I am only going off info infront of me. So if you care to shed some light on why a smaller side wall would be better than a wheel that is nearly identical in characteristics is better I am willing to listen.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »
Well, what really matters are your personal purpose/choice....  I want a tire that will look great on the scoot.. tire size and tread design... I don't want a super big tire that will look awkward nor a small geeky tire... that is why I'm still looking.  The 140/70 is wide and tall... overall it looks big (well, for me it is) the 140/60 looks just wide and balanced....and not really tall.... remove the fender and it looks great....

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
Is that a 140/60 tire on that bike?

ianfm40

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:22 AM »
Here is the pirelli diablo tyres on my super 8 125
120/70/14 on the front
140/70/14 on the back
steering is a little slower on the front. firmer with better feel. i like it much better.
had to remove the rear tyre hugger. no great loss

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks for the info. Did the rear tyre hugger have to come off cause it was hitting on the tyre?  When I did my measurements it looked like it would fit in or was the tyre too high? How do you find them in the wet?

On a side note,  I noticed you are in Queensland, where are you located?

ianfm40

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
Haven't ridden in the wet yet only got fitted 2 days ago. No way will fit in with hugger too wide. Only 6mm gap between shockers. Living in yatala area. These are real motorbike tyres that will save your arse in a sticky situation. The stock tyres should be banned from sale. I believe they would last longer than the motor, they are so hard a compound. I would rather spend the money on a tyre that wears out quicker but I don't die. A good trade off I think. These diablo's will be fantastic once I get used to the different steering.

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
Cool, thanks mate and thanks to vivo as well for your input. I will be place an order today for the diablos   :D

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »
I removed the tire hugger once.... rode it in the rain...mud/water splashed all over and had to install it again.... I sure liked the looks without the tire hugger but rain and mud is my problem...

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
Just seeing if you have anymore reviews on your tires? Have you riden it in the wet yet?

Haven't ridden in the wet yet only got fitted 2 days ago. No way will fit in with hugger too wide. Only 6mm gap between shockers. Living in yatala area. These are real motorbike tyres that will save your arse in a sticky situation. The stock tyres should be banned from sale. I believe they would last longer than the motor, they are so hard a compound. I would rather spend the money on a tyre that wears out quicker but I don't die. A good trade off I think. These diablo's will be fantastic once I get used to the different steering.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
Guys...Do you really think the stock tires are that bad? I know Kymco use to use Cheng-Shin branded tires, now they use CST (same company) as of 2013 models here in the USA. I think they are fine myself, but please keep in mind I do not ride in the rain...ever!

Cheng-Shin/CST Link:

http://www.csttires.com/About-CST.aspx
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »
Guys...Do you really think the stock tires are that bad? I know Kymco use to use Cheng-Shin branded tires, now they use CST (same company) as of 2013 models here in the USA. I think they are fine myself, but please keep in mind I do not ride in the rain...ever!

Cheng-Shin/CST Link:

It really depends on your perspective... They last a looong time and for some, that is a good trait. But they are slippery on wet roads, manhole covers, those white lines on the road, etc. Would I buy another set? Maybe...  I still need to actually compare the stock to other brands to have an objective comparison...

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:47 AM »
Yes, they are the worst tyre I have been on. I have already come off it once in the rain when the tyre slid on me.....and I was only going about 10-15km/hr. All I did was tap the brake and down she went. The sooner I get rid of them the better.

Cheng-Shin/CST Link:

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
Well....I guess "if" I drove in the rain, I would have to change the stock CST tires out. Too be honest....I like them well enough as I cruise only when it's not raining. You see...I don't rely on my S8 for real transportation. It's just a fun toy that I use when the outside condintions are good. Whne the start to wear-out, I'll score a decent tire. But...for now, I'll keep them.

Scolburn...Sorry to hear about dumping your S8! I know Vivo been using his stock tires for a while now & he's ok with them. As I recall...She been in the rain with them as well. You cannot expect Kymco to put on a Pirelli, Avon or any really decent tire for a budget scooter. Hell...My Kymco GT300i came with Maxxis tires & they are considering semi-budget!   
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »

Scolburn...Sorry to hear about dumping your S8! I know Vivo been using his stock tires for a while now & he's ok with them. As I recall...She been in the rain with them as well. You cannot expect Kymco to put on a Pirelli, Avon or any really decent tire for a budget scooter. Hell...My Kymco GT300i came with Maxxis tires & they are considering semi-budget!

My stock tires are two years old and yes I use my scoot daily and yes we are hit by an average of 22 typhoons in one year and maybe more this year because it's February and we are on our third storm already.  The reason why I don't have accidents on my tires is the fact that I'm aware of my tires' capabilities. It's good on dry but bad on wet... so, when it's wet, I just adjust my riding style... and avoid those slippery surfaces... The main reason why I want to change to a new set is that I have several flats and plugs already and time has come to get new ones.... but damn! these Chengs really last...

scolburn79

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 05:05:49 AM »
My stock tires are two years old and yes I use my scoot daily and yes we are hit by an average of 22 typhoons in one year and maybe more this year because it's February and we are on our third storm already.  The reason why I don't have accidents on my tires is the fact that I'm aware of my tires' capabilities. It's good on dry but bad on wet... so, when it's wet, I just adjust my riding style... and avoid those slippery surfaces... The main reason why I want to change to a new set is that I have several flats and plugs already and time has come to get new ones.... but damn! these Chengs really last...

Trust me, I am not a hoon in the wet. I am literally holding up the traffic!! I wasn't going fast at all when it went down. I really don't care if they long time, I just want a tyre that can perform in both dry and wet. I ride my bike everyday as a commuter to and from work. I don't want to be worrying if I'm going to fall off when it is raining.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()