Author Topic: Bogging Down  (Read 5638 times)

Wil

• View Profile
Bogging Down
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
Hi,

My Agility 50 is de-restricted, and i've just replaced the rollers in the variator, yet if i have to slow down for, say, traffic ahead to around 20mph, and then accelerate again, it bogs down awfully, and if its up a hill, it slows down to embarrising speeds. Once it gets going though, its fine, and is fine at about 48 mph (indicated). Any ideas as to why it bogs down so badly? Also when i accelerate from a stand-still, it also bogs down, and engages 'top gear' alot earlier than it used to.

Help?? :(

Thanks,
Wil

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Bogging Down
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
It sounds like your variator weights might be too heavy, or your torque driver spring may be weak. Either case will cause it to change "gear" too soon.
What weight rollers did you put in?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
I also think the same thing the rollers might be to big. or ----- Did you change the jet with a bigger one.

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
i've not touched the carb settings, no.

where can i get rollers from then? giving optimum performance ofcourse ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
You can find loads of them on ebay. The best way to go is either buy cheap ones in various weights so you can decide which weight works best for you, before you spend money on expensive ones that might be the wrong weight for you. Or, you can buy a weight tuning set. The lighter weight will allow the engine to rev more before going up through the gears, heavier rollers will go up through the gears sooner, requiring more torque from the engine, these little engines don't have very much of that.
I am using dr. Pulley sliders, they are supposed to perform better and last longer.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
Did the bogging start with changing the rollers, or was it gradually happening beforehand? If the air filter is dirty and getting restricted, that will cause a rich mixture which will cause bogging. just a thought.

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »
OK, if you can get me a link to some ideal rollers, that would be great.

Also, how do you clean the air filter?

We had trouble with the back cone in the variator (whatever its called), it got stuck so we had to force it out again. Does that indicate a problem there?

Thanks,
Wil

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »
OK, if you can get me a link to some ideal rollers, that would be great.

Also, how do you clean the air filter?

Thanks,
Wil

Blow it out using air compressor.

I do not have it so I go "solvent" route: I use a small plastic dish, few dl of plan gasoline and a brush. I use the brush to apply gasoline to the filter and it melts away the dirt... just leave it in the sun/air do dry for 15 min before reinstalling and do not smoke while doing this...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
I just recently fitted one of these variators to my scoot( link below) after a full de-restrict, it really helps mine a lot. Much better acceleration to top speed  of just past 80kmh down hill,75-80 on the flat (with no wind against me). Im running 5.5g rollers and an #82 main jet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RACE-VARIATOR-GY6-50-KYMCO-BAOTIAN-LIFAN-Chinese-/300540989339?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45f9a38f9b
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
Cheers guys :)

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
So if i was to get these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DR-PULLEY-SLIDING-ROLLERS-16x13-SYM-KYMCO-etc-9-5-/280651285226?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item41581ec2ea#ht_4579wt_914

with and 82 jet, and the race variator from before, what weight rollers should i get?

Cheers

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Of you scroll down the page on the link you posted it doesnt have the Agility listed under the kymco bit, so not sure if these will fit or work in an Agility?

I got rollers from same place and they advised me to use 7-8g cos said thats wot they found worked best. Standard is 6.5g. I ordered 7.5g rollers and tried them but ended up putting in 5.5g in the end cos I felt this worked out better.

You better just make sure they def fit an agility before u order them cos like I say, its not listed as suitable for an agility.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
I think I might replace the torque spring aswell. Is that inside the back variator, and is it easy to fit?

Wil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »
Rode it to work and back tonight, and when i near stopped and put the throttle on, it stayed in high gear and went to really low revs. Does this mean a prob with the torque spring?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()