Author Topic: starting issue  (Read 1224 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
starting issue
« on: December 13, 2022, 09:41:12 PM »
Hello everyone

Been awhile since I have posted. Right now I am upto 8,000 Km since my last report and I am having some trouble with my kymco starting, here is the issue.

So when I start my scooter in the morning it cranks but then stops like it is not getting enough power from the battery to turn over the engine, However if I press on the kick start to turn over the engine one time and then press the starter button it starts fine after the second time. Recently replaced my battery with a 12v 8 Ah battery and it is still having the same issue. Any thoughts on what might be going on? Oil level is correct, Battery is new and is fully functional and have new fuel lines installed as well as recently adjusted valves to correct speck. Tempature outside on average for this time of year in missoui is about 30 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:44:57 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: starting issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 11:43:27 PM »
Starter brushes/commutator
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 01:19:58 AM »
You likely have a problem with your electrical system, my guess is you need a new stator(alternator). Check out my thread on it and the videos on how to identify the exact issue. You'll need a multimeter. It's not too bad to deal with but it is a little involved. I'd recommend going OEM on the stator if you can wait the time to get it.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »
@aschrauth, here what I would do:
-battery out to charge it extern
-morning start okay?
-if YES, take a multimeter and check how many volts are delivered at idle (12.8 - 13.2V) and whether voltage increases to 13.8 - 14 .1V if you revv up to 3-4000 rpm
-if it does properly, is most probably your short rides with light on etc. the culprit
-if it does not deliver mentioned voltage we have to dig deeper into your regulator/rectifier.
Pls give a feedback to us.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 01:22:27 AM »
@aschrauth, here what I would do:
-battery out to charge it extern
-morning start okay?
-if YES, take a multimeter and check how many volts are delivered at idle (12.8 - 13.2V) and whether voltage increases to 13.8 - 14 .1V if you revv up to 3-4000 rpm
-if it does properly, is most probably your short rides with light on etc. the culprit
-if it does not deliver mentioned voltage we have to dig deeper into your regulator/rectifier.
Pls give a feedback to us.

Thank you for the advice, I have mostly all LED lights installed and confirmed it was the battery that was causing the issue. Due to the short trips that I take I go through batteries like crazy. charging system checked out ok.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I have mostly all LED lights installed and confirmed it was the battery that was causing the issue. Due to the short trips that I take I go through batteries like crazy. charging system checked out ok.
Next time you have a problem ask Ruffus first! He is getting more right than the rest of us!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 10:03:42 PM »
Happy to see you sorted out👍.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 04:54:19 AM »
So I went to fire up my scooter today and it did it again, the same issue that I described in my origional post; even with a brand new battery. Checked the charging system and it is reading at around 13 volts at Idle. Im starting to suspect that it is either the ignition coil, Stator( like Vision stated) or something else. I have a spare ignition coil that is new; tomorow I will try swapping it out. Cant hurt seeing is that I have the extra part. Next step will be to test the ignition coil. Scooter runs fine after using a combo of the electric start and the kick start.

Once I start it with the electric start it just clicks but when I use the kick start it moves the piston and when I go to use the electric start it fires up right away. Weird huh.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »
Hmmh, IMHO ignition coils die usually suddenly.
I'm more inclined to suspect
- starter relais
- ingnition cable and sparkplug cap
- corrosion on ground connectors, especially the one which goes down to your starter motor
- further the big plug which comes with three yellow cables from your alternator towards regulator/rectifier
- would not even exclude the killswitch if mounted
Looks to me, humbly said, not getting enough energy to your starter motor for some reason.
Pls give us a feedback.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:19:50 PM by Ruffus »

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 04:08:02 AM »
Hmmh, IMHO ignition coils die usually suddenly.
I'm more inclined to suspect
- starter relais
- ingnition cable and sparkplug cap
- corrosion on ground connectors, especially the one which goes down to your starter motor
- further the big plug which comes with three yellow cables from your alternator towards regulator/rectifier
- would not even exclude the killswitch if mounted
Looks to me, humbly said, not getting enough energy to your starter motor for some reason.
Pls give us a feedback.

Im going to swap the ignition coil and see if that does anything first then Ill go for the stator
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 10:30:38 PM »
So I went to fire up my scooter today and it did it again, the same issue that I described in my origional post; even with a brand new battery. Checked the charging system and it is reading at around 13 volts at Idle. Im starting to suspect that it is either the ignition coil, Stator( like Vision stated) or something else. I have a spare ignition coil that is new; tomorow I will try swapping it out. Cant hurt seeing is that I have the extra part. Next step will be to test the ignition coil. Scooter runs fine after using a combo of the electric start and the kick start.

Once I start it with the electric start it just clicks but when I use the kick start it moves the piston and when I go to use the electric start it fires up right away. Weird huh.

Yes a little strange.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 02:46:03 AM »
. . . it was the battery that was causing the issue. Due to the short trips that I take I go through batteries like crazy
Trying to start a small scoot in near-freezing weather is a challenge.  The oil is thick, and it only has a single cylinder firing.  I keep mine indoors in winter, and in the morning it lights up first time every time.  If I leave it outdoors over night it won't start at all. Small airplanes with  have the same problem with W100 oil in winter so they change over to a lighter grade of oil and use heaters for the first flight in the morning!

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 02:13:57 AM »
Trying to start a small scoot in near-freezing weather is a challenge.  The oil is thick, and it only has a single cylinder firing.  I keep mine indoors in winter, and in the morning it lights up first time every time.  If I leave it outdoors over night it won't start at all. Small airplanes with  have the same problem with W100 oil in winter so they change over to a lighter grade of oil and use heaters for the first flight in the morning!

Unfortunatly not all of us have the convienence of keeping theri vehicles indoors during the winter. Normally I use a lighter weight oil in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 04:16:40 AM »
Just a little update on the issue

AO I think I solved the problem. I ended up changing the fuel petcock, apparently the diaphram was broken inside and the engine was sucking too much fuel whitch was causing my scooter to not start right away. When I replaced the petcock I noticed after draining the gas tank and removing the filter that alot of sediment came out. I suspected that somehow it worked its way into the fuel filter and carberator so I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the carb and now it is no longer hard to start anymore.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »
Just a little update on the issue

AO I think I solved the problem. I ended up changing the fuel petcock, apparently the diaphram was broken inside and the engine was sucking too much fuel whitch was causing my scooter to not start right away. When I replaced the petcock I noticed after draining the gas tank and removing the filter that alot of sediment came out. I suspected that somehow it worked its way into the fuel filter and carberator so I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the carb and now it is no longer hard to start anymore.
Now THAT is something we never considered! Thanks for the update! One more cause to search.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()