Author Topic: Like 200i throttle body sensor error code  (Read 1339 times)

bxc

• View Profile
Like 200i throttle body sensor error code
« on: March 16, 2022, 02:14:15 AM »
Hi folks - you might recall that in the past I posted about my wife's 2012 Like 200i seeming to "choke" when dethrottling. I finally saw an error code on the bike today - 6 blinks - which indicates it's the throttle body sensor.

Stig and Kymco hive mind: I saw that you posted about this in the past. Do you know what part number I should order, and is there a video I can watch to install a new throttle body sensor?

Thanks so much in advance.

bxc

• View Profile
Re: Like 200i throttle body sensor error code
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 05:58:16 AM »
Just realized I made a typo - the error code is five blinks and the chart says throttle position sensor movement speed problem.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
TPS cannot be purchased separately from the throttle body...as far as I know. When my throttle position sensor went south, Kymco replaced the throttle body assembly under my 2 yr  warranty.  @$220.
Used on eBay are as muc
You can see the assembly on an exploded parts diagram.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:59:50 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »
So far - a failing throttle position sensor has shown itself by the engine stumbling hard, or moderately hard, when held at a constant speed.
When mine did it (and it didn't do it 100% of the time) - it was at around 28>30MPH. It felt like someone was turning the key off and on...really banging the engine off and on!

I guess stumbling on decell could be caused by the TPS....but I haven't seen that reported here.
These $3K Kymcos have a pretty good engine management system - but they aren't NASA quality. My LIKE200i throws codes every so often - usually temp sensor - but since it keeps running like a swiss sewing machine - for 9 years - I ignore blinking lights.
But - if it hiccups - I fix it ASAP before riding again.

Here's your part.....
https://solanocycle.dealerspikeparts.com/oemparts/a/kym/5b50e9ae87a866110c2e098c/carburetor

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 05:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the part number, Stig. The previous owner said the bike had a tipover after it was backed by a neighbor in a shared garage. I now think she was lying and that the bike was in an accident. It's a shame, but hopefully this fixes the problem.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 08:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the part number, Stig. The previous owner said the bike had a tipover after it was backed by a neighbor in a shared garage. I now think she was lying and that the bike was in an accident. It's a shame, but hopefully this fixes the problem.
bcx,
That part is a serious investment....
Please elaborate on your issue....
It stalls...stumbles when rolling off of the throttle at low speeds ..only..... or when rolling off of the throttle at all speeds?
You've ridden scooters before, yes?.... and you're familiar with the behavior of the CVT transmission as the clutch disengages as you come to a stop, yes?
But you're saying this is something different?

Stig
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:28:56 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:44:00 PM »
It's difficult to describe. Often times when I dethrottle the bike feels like it's choking. However sometimes it does this when I throttle at a lower speed, like going 5 mph at a gas station. I've seen some people use the word "hesitate" and that would describe this behavior. The Kymco does great at full throttle, like going 45mph up a hill.

I've ridden scooters for years and none behaved like this. I also currently ride a Triumph motorcycle and it's quite smooth all around in comparison.

I'm certain that something is wrong with the Kymco - I just didn't know what, and the error code seems to suggest this might be the issue.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 10:58:27 PM »
Ok. Don't mean to question your scooter riding credentials.....just never know if we've got a first-time rider here.
...and, even though it's not my $ , I hope a new throttle body is the correct call.

Cyclepedia.com accepts service questions from members. A tech will give you a service chit ..and explore your issue with you. Cyclepedia wrote the Kymco manuals for KYMCO/USA.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »
I'm not offended at all! Ordered the part and will report back after the installation.

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 05:48:38 AM »
Sorry if I double posted - I tried to post this comment in the fuel pump thread but it's not showing up for some reason.

Stig - I decided not to order the throttle body assembly since you seemed skeptical (and I eventually felt that way, too). I decided to try replacing the fuel pump instead. I have successfully removed the old fuel pump. My question: When you installed the new pump, did you have to solder the negative and positive wires? I just wanted to check before I proceed. Thanks.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 08:24:44 AM »
Sorry if I double posted - I tried to post this comment in the fuel pump thread but it's not showing up for some reason.

Stig - I decided not to order the throttle body assembly since you seemed skeptical (and I eventually felt that way, too). I decided to try replacing the fuel pump instead. I have successfully removed the old fuel pump. My question: When you installed the new pump, did you have to solder the negative and positive wires? I just wanted to check before I proceed. Thanks.
No, I don't own a soldering iron, or gun.
They were tight spade connectors.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 06:26:49 PM »
@Stig how exactly did you disconnect the wires from the old pump without desoldering? Did you simply cut the wires?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 07:25:09 PM »
@Stig how exactly did you disconnect the wires from the old pump without desoldering? Did you simply cut the wires?
Perhaps you can see from my original photos of my pump - wires to pump were pressed on spade connectors....no solder was used by Kymco at that time, nor by me in my rebuild.
If there is some solder on your wire connections to the pump - you could heat and remove them  PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA IF FUEL REMAINS IN THE PUMP TO GO NEAR IT WITH HEAT!....or unscrew the other end of the 2 wires and then rebuild and copy the original connections with wire & a couple of bits from hardware store.

I'm losing the thread here - you are replacing the pump because you are not satisfied with the spray pattern or strength from the injector when cranking the scooter and spraying into a can?
Stig
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:28:35 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »
Update: I successfully replaced the fuel pump with the aftermarket model recommended by Stig. Unfortunately the problem with the scooter remains: it has a rough idle, sometimes it sputters when coming to a stop. My wife said the scooter lost all power at a stoplight and had to be turned back on. I checked the valves and the spark plug connection - all looks normal. I also cleaned the fuel injector. I'm stumped. Is there a way to adjust the idle?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 06:01:34 PM »
Update: I successfully replaced the fuel pump with the aftermarket model recommended by Stig. Unfortunately the problem with the scooter remains: it has a rough idle, sometimes it sputters when coming to a stop. My wife said the scooter lost all power at a stoplight and had to be turned back on. I checked the valves and the spark plug connection - all looks normal. I also cleaned the fuel injector. I'm stumped. Is there a way to adjust the idle?
No. not with EFI.
I recommend you obtain a cyclepedia manual - which entitles you to interactions  with a tech. You'll describe your issues, what you've done so far, etc.

You will be given specific readings to take with your multi-meter on the electrical and fueling system of your scooter. No more guess-work and no more parts buying. You're not the first to throw parts at a problem - without success.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()