Author Topic: 2009 GV250 no start/spark after long ride  (Read 2944 times)

Jenni1969

• View Profile
2009 GV250 no start/spark after long ride
« on: August 26, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »
Hi All! I’m new here; glad to have found this forum! I’ve gone through all 23 pages of post and did not find any addressing my particular issue. I am super hoping y’all can help 🙏🏼

Issue: my scoot runs great when I fire her up and ride (temp gauge never goes above two bars, which IMO is a little odd when I’ve ridden for two hrs on the highway and she seems heated up, but jmo) BUT if I shut her down after a long ride (to gas up or cool my ass down) and try to start her back up, she’s a no go. NOTHING, except for the faint clicking when I hit the starter switch. If I let her sit for hours or overnight, she starts right up.

Now this was discovered when, two days ago, I attempted to go on a long road trip to camp for a couple days. Imagine my dismay when I stopped, at a toll road service plaza, 150 miles from home, to gas up and she wouldn’t start. Wound up having to get towed to a service shop where she sat overnight because they were closed by the time a tow showed up 😑

What the service shop did: mechanic found that a spark plug was loose (?) he changed it out, provided me with the old one (which looks new; with no damage) and I got on my way. Home, that is…I’d already missed one night of camping, spent money on a hotel and at the shop and decided the universe didn’t want me on that trip.

75 miles later…shut down to gas up and the scoot would not start. Tried and tried. I happened to be at an auto service station and asked if they could help me out. The “boss” VERY RELUCTANTLY told the mechanic to help me. But, he tested the battery (it was fine) went back in to talk to the “boss” and never came back out. I locked up the scoot and let them know I was going to see what I could do. The “boss” was a dick, and really didn’t want me to leave it parked there at all. He very nastily said “fine but don’t leave it overnight.”  I went back to the scoot, took the lock off and pushed her to a McDonald’s. At this point I decided to get towed home. Well…that didn’t happen. After 3-4 hours, and the insurance company finding ZERO tow companies willing to take me home, and me finding ONE that would charge me $600, I cried, decided it would be another night spent in a hotel and I would rent a uhaul to get her home. I decided to try one more time AND SHE STARTED. I rode the 75 miles home, on back roads, at lower speeds, without stopping 🤣 got home, shut down, tried to start her up about 30 mins later to see if she would start. NOPE. Let her sit overnight, went out this morning, and she started right up like she was brand spanking new.

Anyone have any ideas as to WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Thank you in advance, so much, for any ideas!!

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: 2009 GV250 no start/spark after long ride
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
@Jenni1969, sorry to hear this..
my first suspects would be to check, if there is NO SPARK at the hot motor.
-battery connection/ cabling down there (underseat comp. out)
-sparkplug cable
-ignition coil
-compare sparkplugs , old /new what type
-valve clearance
-check and spray all your switches on your handlebar
IF all this is fine you have to dig deeper
-alternator testing
-regulator testing
-relais testing in your front panel
Don't worry about this two bars on your temp gauge, my GD, even at hottest days two up, uphill goes to more than two bars.To test your gauge, take this cable which leds to the temp sensor on your coolant thermostate (RH on your cylinderhead and with a rubber hose on it) off, touch shortly ground and your temp gauge should go until full up.(ignition on)
Let's hear what you got.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:27:10 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 05:33:28 PM »
@Jenni1969, sorry to hear this..
my first suspects would be to check, if there is NO SPARK at the hot motor.
-battery connection/ cabling down there (underseat comp. out)
-sparkplug cable
-ignition coil
-compare sparkplugs , old /new what type
-valve clearance
-check and spray all your switches on your handlebar
IF all this is fine you have to dig deeper
-alternator testing
-regulator testing
-relais testing in your front panel
Don't worry about this two bars on your temp gauge, my GD, even at hottest days two up, uphill goes to more than two bars.To test your gauge, take this cable which leds to the temp sensor on your coolant thermostate (RH on your cylinderhead and with a rubber hose on it) off, touch shortly ground and your temp gauge should go until full up.(ignition on)
Let's hear what you got.

Thank you for your reply! I will research how to do these things. Not a mechanic and have never worked on this scoot. (I suppose I should have mentioned this 🙈) But I am sure as heck willing to
Try!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 05:45:44 PM »
Good  to hear.
Just ask and you will be answered.
If you not sure about mechanical work, write down all your steps done, in bullets.There is a lot of people who are willing to help.
It's easier to support then.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:48:24 PM by Ruffus »

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »
Good  to hear.
Just ask and you will be answered.
If you not sure about mechanical work, write down all your steps done, in bullets.There is a lot of people who are willing to help.
It's easier to support then.

Thank you!

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
When you tried to (unsuccessfully) start it you said all you heard was "click, click,click". That implies that the starter is not cranking the engine, therefore of course the engine will not start. If this is so, you have narrowed the problem to the starter motor, the starter relay, or their electrical connections. Is the engine being cranked...or not?
2009 GV 250

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 11:06:34 PM »
When you tried to (unsuccessfully) start it you said all you heard was "click, click,click". That implies that the starter is not cranking the engine, therefore of course the engine will not start. If this is so, you have narrowed the problem to the starter motor, the starter relay, or their electrical connections. Is the engine being cranked...or not?

Hi! Thank you for replying!

It is not…

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 11:34:42 PM »
Have read several times of a part overheating to cause no re-starts until it cools.
C'mon you guys.....which part is it?!
My memory failing me here....

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »

Think you're onto something Stuo.  Me? Assuming no problems with connections, on a 12 year-old scooter if I were changing parts out, I'd start with the relay and then if that didn't work I'd spring for a new starter motor - for these parts don't bother with breakers yards (if they're a thing in the US) go for new.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:11:59 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
@Stig yes,
there where some issues with relais and starter motors, which failed when heated up. Also with a stator coil. But I would start with all the less expensive things to check.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »
Sound advice as ever Ruffus.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »
I bought a new generic starter on ebay for $39 for my "just in case" parts bin. The starter relay can be bought for less than $20 on ebay, generic but a perfect fit and, so far, is working fine. I have seen an increase in prices over the last year but...grab while the grabbing is possible is my motto.
2009 GV 250

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 06:00:18 PM »
@Stig yes,
there where some issues with relais and starter motors, which failed when heated up. Also with a stator coil. But I would start with all the less expensive things to check.
So, assuming I should start with the less expensive things, which would they be? In other words…is there a list, in order of where you start and end, least to more expensive? TYIA!!!

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 06:03:56 PM »
@Stig yes,
I’m sorry. I just read your first reply to me! Assuming this is your list of where you would start…least you more expensive, disregard my last post asking if you had said list! 🙈🙈🙈 thank you again!

Jenni1969

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 06:09:49 PM »
Think you're onto something Stuo.  Me? Assuming no problems with connections, on a 12 year-old scooter if I were changing parts out, I'd start with the relay and then if that didn't work I'd spring for a new starter motor - for these parts don't bother with breakers yards (if they're a thing in the US) go for new.

Thank you Neil! Yes we have, what you would call breakers yards, in the US. I call them “scrap yards,” or “junkyards.” ??

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()