Author Topic: yeager valve adjust  (Read 12891 times)

iker

• , 2007 kymco people s125
    • View Profile
yeager valve adjust
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
hi, i did a valve adjust today on the yeager . miles were 500. heres the drill - remove seat , two nuts. remove trunk box - 4 bolts and one large screw. when taking box out remove the light connection on left side. now gently take off the front cover , easy does it no screws or bolts . next remove two hoses connected to the valve cover . now remove 4 bolts and 2 nuts holding valve cover . with cover off , take large cap off at magneto on the right side . with 19mm turn engine clockwise until both valves are loose and large hole on cam gear is at top of engine.. check clearance of .1mm or 4 thousands. feeler gauge should go with no drag. loose is better than tight. use a 9mm wrench and needle nose pliers for adjustment. anyhow thats how this old bike wrench did it. piece of cake and a lot cheaper than shop rates. my valves were ok but i increased clearance on intake just a little . at same time a checked all nuts and bolts and tire pressure . i have a harbor freight bike lift . im too old to work on the floor anymore. hope this helps or come to alamogordo nm and i'll help. thanks ike
2007 kymco people s125 aka - lit red
2011 vespa gts 300 super aka - tin man

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: yeager valve adjust
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:02:33 AM »
..good job iker...

;D

..thanks for sharing!!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:07 AM »
Thanks iker,

Doesn't seem too difficult. I'll give it a try at 600, thanks for posting the info.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
I figured it would be something like that... again, very similar to Yamaha scoots.  Thanks for the write-up.  Just goes to show the local so-called dealers here in ATL don't know squat, talking about having to pull the engine to do it.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
my valves were ok but i increased clearance on intake just a little

..i just re-read this...

..you know that increasing that clearance above spec reduces the volume of fuel mix that is introduced into your combustion chamber during the "intake" stroke....

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

iker

• , 2007 kymco people s125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
tks word - for your advice . i didnt really change the clearance , what i did was to increase from firm drag to light drag on the valve setting. not braging but i would guess a have adjusted at least 8000 valves so far. your advice was correct though, ike
2007 kymco people s125 aka - lit red
2011 vespa gts 300 super aka - tin man

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
I explored the area under the seat, taking off the front cover as Ike said, and it looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the valves, using his instructions for that also. The last time I adjusted valves was in 1972 on a Toyota truck!  I have the feeler gauges, tools, and a pretty good skill level for a shadetree mechanic.

Now I really wouldn't trust the mechanic who said you had to pull the engine. He said Vespa's don't even get checked until 12K. I checked and he was correct on some models.

I am curious, besides Iker, has anyone else adjusted their own or had a shop do it? How were they at the particular mileage? Cost for a COMPETENT dealership to do it?
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:48:57 AM »
I had my shop do the entire 600 service and they charged $90 or so.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:18:22 AM »
I just did the valve adjustment tonight on my Yager GT 200i.

It took about an hour to gather information (torque values, etc.), tools, lights, rags, etc.

It took about an hour to complete the wrenching part of the job. Would have taken less time but I didn't have a 9mm wrench to tighten the locknut, so I had to tighten the locknut with a socket, test the clearance, loosen the locknut, adjust the center post, tighten the locknut, etc., until I got it just right.

My intake valve was at 0.08mm, so I adjusted it out to 0.10mm. I set it so that the 0.10mm feeler gauge would slide easily in, but the 0.12mm gauge wouldn't.

After adjusting it and buttoning everything back up, I took it out for a hard ride, to see if anything had changed for the worse. It hadn't, still runs great.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:25:03 AM »
I just did the valve adjustment tonight on my Yager GT 200i.

It took about an hour to gather information (torque values, etc.), tools, lights, rags, etc.

It took about an hour to complete the wrenching part of the job. Would have taken less time but I didn't have a 9mm wrench to tighten the locknut, so I had to tighten the locknut with a socket, test the clearance, loosen the locknut, adjust the center post, tighten the locknut, etc., until I got it just right.

My intake valve was at 0.08mm, so I adjusted it out to 0.10mm. I set it so that the 0.10mm feeler gauge would slide easily in, but the 0.12mm gauge wouldn't.

After adjusting it and buttoning everything back up, I took it out for a hard ride, to see if anything had changed for the worse. It hadn't, still runs great.

Congrats. For some stupid reason I never did that myself.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

acope

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
Just hit 200 miles on my Yager.  Did the 200 mile service and adjusted the valves following Ikers most excellent instructions.  Thanks Iker!

If you are handy with a wrench at all, I would not pay a shop to do this for you.  It really is just as easy as Iker says.

Allen

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »
Used ikers method for getting at the valves and it works great! Mine had tightened up to about .003" so I put 'em back to the required .004" at a slight drag on the feeler gauge. The test ride was good with the 200i running better. Really! OK, maybe it was my imagination.... Iker really had the right procedure to get at this job. Thanks!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
Are you guys super strict about doing this every 4000 km? I've been extending this interval a bit... :-\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:12:20 PM by P250Fanatic »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Are you guys super strict about doing this every 4000 km? I've been extending this interval a bit... :-\

Never did it on P250S.
Done once on A125, around 20K kms.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:32 AM »
I pulled all the surrounding plastic off and was ready to do the valve adjustment. Alas I seem to have a metal tube attached to the cover that leads to the head. What, do I have some kind of freaky setup? There appear to be 2 gaskets involved that I am concerned about breaking loose. Any insights would be appreciated as I have 3000 miles on it and would like to at least check the clearance.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()