Author Topic: yeager valve adjust  (Read 12406 times)

bikz

• View Profile
Re: yeager valve adjust
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
Yager 200i after valve adjustment:

Hopefully that's not the valves tapping!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:45 AM »
Either that or you left the wrench in there.
I would open it back up, and do it again... Differently than the first time tho.

Engine size doesn't matter. The method is the same
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bikz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:24 AM »
Not sure what else I can do, tighten them up to .003 instead of .004?...SO FRUSTRATED!!! 

I have opened her up twice and checked it 10-12x's the first time and 4x's the second. I did EXACTLY what all the posts showed, and it sounds like that.  The valves did not move from the first time and they are set exactly at .1/.004.  Any ideas, any one live in the Chicago area? PLEASE HELP!!!

...maybe that's why the valves were originally set up so tight from Kymco?   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:21:11 AM by bikz »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 04:20:00 AM »
There are Soooo many maybe;s. Could be a bad cam bearing.
What made you open it up in the first place? Was it making a noise anything like that?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bikz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
Sounded fine before I touched it (however, I never put my ear up to it), I was just trying to follow the owner's manual basic maintenance and it  never had the valves adjusted before...guess should of left them!  I'm still stuck on the fact that they were sooo tight when it was first opened up.  I'd figure or hope that at 1500 mile marker it should not be having any issues yet?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:21:29 AM by bikz »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »
bikz,

OK, your scoot was running well before you started.
But the valves seem to be pretty noisy now.
Please take a minute to watch these 2 videos...note the position of the 3 sprocket holes, and note that he shows the slight movement in the rocker arm before any adjustments have begun.

This video is on a Kymco scooter....

OK, now if we go back and consider that you may have adjusted (opened) your valve lash (gap ) to .10mm (.004in.) while you were not at TDC of the compression stroke of the piston - but were actually on the other stroke (the exhaust stroke).

I do not think you checked to see if you had movement in the rocker arm before you started any of this process. Please answer - if you remember? That was a lot of wrenching ago, I understand.

The piston comes up twice - one is the compression stroke, the next is the exhaust stroke. To set your valves you need the piston to be at Top Dead Center of the compression stroke.
How do you tell if you are on the compression stroke?: You pull/push on the rocker arm looking for that tiny movement (hear the "click" in the video)

How to tell if they are set incorrectly?: There should be that movement of .004's inch with those sprocket holes aligned properly....AND there should be NO MOVEMENT in the rocker arm when you spin the engine 360 degrees.

If you can move the rockers on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke - we need to stop and fix that.(in other words: look for movement. Yes? No?  Spin the engine 360 degrees again - with 3 hole aligned again. Movement now? You should not have movement both times.) If you did not do this when you first started...then we need to get you back to square one.

That sprocket and those 3 holes will line up properly twice on a 4 stroke engine like ours - but we can set the valve adjustment ONLY on ONE of its turns. The compression turn.

Please let us know what you find.....
Stig

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:37:09 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bikz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:45 AM »
Both exhaust & compression stroke have movement in the rocker arms...I must have open them too much the first time around when i got those crazy gap #'s.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 02:33:01 AM »
Sounded fine before I touched it (however, I never put my ear up to it), I was just trying to follow the owner's manual basic maintenance and it  never had the valves adjusted before...guess should of left them!  I'm still stuck on the fact that they were sooo tight when it was first opened up.  I'd figure or hope that at 1500 mile marker it should not be having any issues yet?

You did it wrong. They were fine. You have to forget what you did, and FOLLOW one of the videos. Promise I'm correct. DO NOT assume you followed the procedure. Trust me... You didn't

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »
Both exhaust & compression stroke have movement in the rocker arms...I must have open them too much the first time around when i got those crazy gap #'s.

YES!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
Ok, if you have movement of the nut, up and down, on the rocker arm on both strokes of the piston (exhaust and compression)...you will need to find the compression stroke. Remove the sprark plug and put your finger tip over that hole , you will feel the air compressing on your finger as you rotate the engine on the compression stroke. Align your 3 sprocket holes, set your valve gap. With your finger covering the spark plug hole ..you should feel air blowing against it on the compression stroke..and feel nothing when you turn forward the engine 360 degrees.
Your should be able to grab the rocker arm and move it on compression TDC that tiny amount...and feel no movement on the next stroke! (Exhaust stroke)
If you do not obtain this mechanical result, please consider taking it to the dealer. Do NOT ride it to the dealer if you are not certain you have not adjusted the valve lash properly.
Please let us know what you find ....and advise if you are still uncertain that you have found  the COMPRESSION TDC. We can talk you thru other ways, more complicated,  to check this.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:07:28 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bikz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
Thank you for all the feedback, but I think at this point I am going to stop by my engine builders shop next week and have him check it out.  The I will keep you posted with what he finds.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2014, 03:30:05 AM »
Please do. It WILL help others

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 12:43:33 AM »
Thank you for all the feedback, but I think at this point I am going to stop by my engine builders shop next week and have him check it out.  The I will keep you posted with what he finds.
Hello Bikz,
Have you rec'd a report from your mechanic?
Please post your findings.
Hope it works out well for you - that really is a beauty of a scooter!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
I had the shop do my 600 mile check, I assumed they adjusted the valves. At 3000 miles I checked them and the exhaust was TIGHT. Checked them again at 9000 miles and the exhaust was tight again. Guess I need to check them more often.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()