Author Topic: Intermitten Like problem  (Read 761 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Intermitten Like problem
« on: June 07, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »
 2013 Like 200 LX. Long story.  14k miles.
 Original symptoms: After a nice run, i was stopped at a light, the idle dropped and stumbled. When the light changed, i gunned it and the bike died. Started and it did the same. After blipping the throttle several times to take off, it all went back to normal. This happened several times that day, and still happens.
 I started getting a CELP code of 6, which is a battery or charging system problem. I installed a new Yuasa battery, as it had the original tired battery. Problem persisted. I have gotten to the point of being able to  create the problem on the road but not at home.
 It happens usually after a high speed run. (Over 45 mph).
 NOW: I get a CELP code of 11, which according to the Cyclepedia manual, is a bad ignition coil.  The problem will occur even when there are no CELP codes. I followed the troubleshooting instructions for checking the primary of the coil. The manual states it should be .65 - .675 ohms. My meters only read to tenths, it reads .7 ohms. (Digital meter, I dropped the Simpson from a ladder years ago)  I do not understand the instructions for checking the coil secondary. It is sealed with the exception of the spark plug wire. 
 I have removed most of the plastics to check every connection i see. Maybe it is the coil, but i hate being a parts changer. Any help on the coil troubleshooting would be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:56:09 AM by LidoCA »
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Intermitten Like problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »
The ignition coil secondary is, of course, the plug wire and usually either one of the mounting feet or one of the smaller primary wires.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »
Ah, shoot - sorry to hear about your LIKE's illness!
You'd be the first known Like owner to have a failed coil....
But, someone has to be first....
Tried recutting the plug wire and rescrewing it tight to the plug cap?
Ground wires clean, tight.? especially from the battery. Seen all kinds of intermittent weirdness from that.
Please keep us in the loop.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
 I tried checking resistance between the plug connector and the primary wires, as well as to ground. On one meter i measueed 21M ohms between plug wire and primary terminals. It didnt seem right. 
 On a brighter note, it wasnt as difficult as i thought it would be to remove the plastics covering the entire back of the bike.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:17:41 PM by LidoCA »
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
Secondary.....
As I understand it here - you're just checking the spark plug wire - from the coil to the end of the wire - with the cap removed. Slim chance the spark plug wire is broken and arcing out. Piaggio had issues with the caps.

"Check the secondary resistance between the ignition coil terminal and the spark plug without the cap. Touch the negative meter lead to the terminal and the positive meter lead to the spark plug wire.
12.67 ~ 13.07 K?

Happens only when riding (= hot & vibrating ?)

Would it be good to check the coil when it is very hot?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »
If we can get the tests and issues nailed down - it might be worth starting a service ticket with your subscription to cyclepedia?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
I second what Stig said. The Downtown coil primary is ranged between 3.5 to 4.8 ohms, secondary between 10.4 to 14.5 KILO ohms. Your 21 M is assumed to be 21 MEGOHMS which is good enough as insulation!
Since Kymco construction logic is quite similar, model to model the common test point should be, according to the service manual for the DT300i, is one of the skinny wire terminals and the other skinny wire terminal will be the other end of the primary. Then the secondary will be the common and the plug wire. Procedure would be the ohmmeter on the plug wire and either skinny wire terminal. The readings will be nearly identical since the primary is so few ohms.
Should you get a service manual, be aware there are many mistakes and misinformation in all of them. Just for example, the black and white circuit in the troubleshooting section for the DT has an error in the coil wiring. The colored wiring diagram is correct for the coil. The colored wiring diagram is NOT part of the service manual!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:39:39 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »

"Check the secondary resistance between the ignition coil terminal and the spark plug without the cap. Touch the negative meter lead to the terminal and the positive meter lead to the spark plug wire.
12.67 ~ 13.07 K?

Thats the sentence that i am having trouble wrapping my head around. If you check the wire without the cap, it would seem to be 0 ohms. The cap itself reads 5k ohms.

Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
I second what Stig said. The Downtown coil primary is ranged between 3.5 to 4.8 ohms, secondary between 10.4 to 14.5 KILO ohms. Your 21 M is assumed to be 21 MEGOHMS which is good enough as insulation!
Since Kymco construction logic is quite similar, model to model the common test point should be, according to the service manual for the DT300i, is one of the skinny wire terminals and the other skinny wire terminal will be the other end of the primary. Then the secondary will be the common and the plug wire. Procedure would be the ohmmeter on the plug wire and either skinny wire terminal. The readings will be nearly identical since the primary is so few ohms.
Should you get a service manual, be aware there are many mistakes and misinformation in all of them. Just for example, the black and white circuit in the troubleshooting section for the DT has an error in the coil wiring. The colored wiring diagram is correct for the coil. The colored wiring diagram is NOT part of the service manual!

I have the online Cyclepedia manual that I am referring to.
 That makes sense. The 21M ohms is Megohms. Which i realize could be the grease on my hands or any other matter.
 If i am remembering my electrical 101 classes regarding transformers, I should read resistance to ground from the plug wire or output terminal, which i dont. ( even after scraping the paint off the mounting points of the transformer. )
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
Try this:
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
Nice schematic Karl.
  It confused me the way the manual reads. That is the way i have been checking it. Still reads 21M at the end of the plug wire. Reads open without the wire attached. I will order a new one tomorrow.  The spark must be jumping across internally to fire at all. 
 I'm sure it will be a couple months before Kymco gets it to me.  I will let everyone know what happens when it comes in.
 Thank you guys for the help.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:46:07 AM by LidoCA »
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
You still waiting?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 08:44:12 PM »
I received an email yesterday that my new coil has shipped. I should receive it next week.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 11:13:50 PM »
 The ignition coil arrived on Thursday. I installed it that night, fired it up and went for a 20 mile ride. No problems at that point.
 I figured that while everything was taken apart, I would clean out the engine area and variator/ clutch. I put everything back together this morning. I washed and waxed it until it sparkled. I rode it for almost 40 miles without a hitch. Knock on Chinese plastic, everything looks good.
 At this point , it looks good. Thank you all for the help.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »
Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()