Author Topic: How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?  (Read 1650 times)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »
I ride most curves in this area with a late apex for maximum visibility. A problem I have run into (figuratively speaking) is that when I dive into a turn I scrape hard parts when my suspension compresses. I removed the center stand but am still catching the muffler and the CVT case.

Question: What braking/throttle technique could I use to make the bike stand on the suspension? Would throttling on while trailing the front brake help?

Thanks in advance for any feedback beneficial or not.
Become the best you can with what you have.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:10:54 AM »
Get Klaviator talking about that! He is the resident corner man. His pictures show him heeled over like sloop on a broad reach or whatever! He personnally k ows every sharp corner in the three states of Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina and probably Mississippi!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am not a corner speed daredevil but am chasing perfection for the purpose of an increased safety margin.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Get the braking out the way before the curve, braking in a bend upsets the steering geometry!  Go in on a neutral throttle getting ready to gas it on the way out i.e. after you've seen the vanishing point.  To quote the TT Legend Mike "the Bike" Hailwood, "slow in, fast out" is the secret!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 01:19:21 PM »
I understand that concept but for 125 Mopediah there is no fast out:) 54 second 0-60. Thanks though.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
the goal when cornering on a bike is to ideally keep it as vertical as possible.  Motojitsu talks a lot about this on his youtube channel. Best cornering is done with bike more vertical and the rider shifting body weight to the inside. You maintain the best traction and suspension movement this way.

With the hard parts fixed in position on the scoots I think your options are to corner slower, with less lean, or to practice body positioning to help the scoot stay more upright through the corners.

Must be a little disconcerting to scrape things while cornering on the scoot! Be safe out there.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 02:48:07 PM »
My limit to body positioning for weighting the inside is the length of my outside arm reaching the grip and also how securely I can hook the seat box with my outer foot. Unless I am riding on gravel my center of mass when cornering is 22 inches to the inside of the bike. Because I weight the same as the bike the combined mass is 11 inches to the inside of the turn keeping the bike approximately 15-20 degrees more vertical than if I rode inline(joys of a light bike).

I either need to add grip tape to the plastic foot plates or bolt on toothed steel foot pegs before I can get more weight to the inside.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:49:53 PM by TBR125 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
Me, it's check the mirror, touch of brakes.....slow in - look for rocks, gravel, tree debris, deer - then slow roll on throttle ~ to my cruising of @33MPH.
During the ride out, which is always in the dark - it is not this fast.

Which might explain how I can still have tread on a rear City Grip at 14,000 miles.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »
That is my comfortable afternoon ride technique as well. The ditches on these roads over flow with every rain storm and there is a 1-3 inch deep gravel bar in every curve and dip. I've gotten used to the rear floating through it and I usually weight the front to keep it tracking if there is much debris.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:42:28 AM »
First rule  #1 let the tires do as little work as possible   #2 bike vertical as possible  #3 look where you are going  #4 get bike that doesn't drag stuff, scooter not ideal for road racing

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
Good point John. The scooter concerned will greatly influence the likelihood of dragging undercarriage parts when cornering. I carry similar speed, lean angle on regularly ridden roads and where my old PCX125 would be carving an arc with the centre stand, the X-Town 300 goes round serenely with nothing touching down.

As an afterthought, I did improve matters markedly by slapping on a pair of aftermarket YSS shockers!  Not necessary on the XT  :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 08:06:06 AM »
I've never really thought about this - just looking at all your comments - I've just always kind of gone around corners with not a huge amount of thought.

I have had a couple of scooters that would ground out on corners - thinking back to my Baotian BT49, the first delivery donkey... the left centre stand lug would sometimes spark as it was basically used as a third rail :S

Can't remember how I got around that now.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. For any concerned, I'm not an aspiring road racer, just trying to ride my scoot as well as possible.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. For any concerned, I'm not an aspiring road racer, just trying to ride my scoot as well as possible.
Aren’t we all! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »
Correct! Which is why this teenager has a 125 scoot not a crotch rocket.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()